1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The cheapest and the most expensive; an honest comparison.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Corvus, Mar 12, 2020.

1. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Which amp?

PlainAllman likes this.
  2. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Does it make more sense to buy one $150 bottle of scotch or five bottles of $30 bourbon? Like everything else in life, it depends. There's convincing arguments on both sides.

But there is one certainty: if I had enough disposable income to buy a $150 bottle of scotch every few weeks in place of my usual purchase, I surely would.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Allen Accompice Jr with his larger style OT, 6l6s, and a Weber 50 watt 12" Ceramic mag speaker. "Raw" control on a footswitch. Homemade pine cab. 34 lb, one hand carry, 40 all tube watts and just fantastic in all ways.

darylcrisp and GGardner like this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Retail price is a really bad way to evaluate the quality of a musical instrument, because it's mostly determined by things that have nothing to do with how an instrument plays or sounds. I get why we do it, but it's good to keep in mind that we all have different preferences, financial situations and skill levels. When I was a kid, I rocked the cheapest gear there was because I couldn't afford expensive stuff. I still had a blast and learned a lot. Today I buy more expensive stuff because I can tell the difference, and I can afford it.

Tele Plucker and rangercaster like this.
  5. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’d separate the quality difference from the price differential for a minute. Which gives you more of what you seek in your guitar? How? And how important is that to your playing?
    Then decide, is the the price difference worth it to you? Your wealth will definitely be a factor. But so will your answers to the Qs...

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Get an aftermarket neck. You will beat yourself up a little for not having done it years ago. But the beatings won't last long, and you'll play more!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The right aftermarket neck can make all the difference.

I'm so glad I bought so many from Tommy Rosamond when he was in business. These two batches of 8, all the same specifications. I go into stores and I really like what I find, at times, but they are not better than the ones I got.

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you play a vintage 52 or a cheap Squier or partscaster... you will still sound like .... you ...

aging_rocker, mfguitar and beyer160 like this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I'm sure everyone's heard the famous story about Van Halen opening for Ted Nugent in the late '70s- Ted was impressed with EVH's guitar sound, so he talked one of Ed's roadies into letting him play through Ed's rig.

He sounded exactly the same as when he played through his own.

mimmo and rangercaster like this.
  10. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Yep...

Right now im more focused on amps than in guitars... the amp make the big difference.

rangercaster likes this.
  11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well my cheapest guitar has changed since my post this morning. Out with the 2016 Les Paul Studio and in with a 2012 Les Paul Traditional (bottom photo).

Now my cheapest guitar is my black 1998 American Standard Hardtail Stratocaster.

B5C5D95C-CB8F-431A-8F61-7D770B5E129C.jpeg B4DB1FCB-F8EA-4998-AB05-B20142AA209C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    nick0 and Homebrw like this.
  12. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Interesting thoughts guys. Certainly I'm not trying to suggest an Affinity matches my CS Nocaster but it's closer than you'd think given the relative costings. And yes I've a Vintage Icon relic, a CV pinecaster, 2x MIM Roadworn and a near perfect new Tokai. All have "their thing" and I enjoy playing them - yes, even the Affinity. And I can make them all sound good because, at the end of the day it's all in your fingers and even a cheap guitar today is able to be set up well enough not to physically impede your playing.

nick0 likes this.
  13. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Totally agree, I didn't mean to say that JB was comparing Squiers to vintage stuff. I meant more of his commentary on there not being more than a 5%-10% difference separating the guitars most of us can afford vs the so-called best-of-the-best.

Point taken though, its probably not the strongest comparison for me to make.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

There's definitely something to this. I've got a partscaster that wouldn't fetch $100 if I tried to sell it, but the feel and "mojo" are unlike any guitar I've ever personally played.

15. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

Let's not forget to mention that the Squier+ mod route let's you spend your
    money piece meal. For a few bucks you can get a decent player. In a couple months, or when you're able, you put a few more bucks in pickups. Then tuners. I have rarely had two or three thousand dollars to drop on a dream guitar. But, I might spend two or three hundred over six months or a year and get something very playable. Plus I'm not terrified taking it to a club.

16. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

A classic example of people not being able to separate tone from technique…

17. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I have two custom shop guitars. One I got used for a bit more than an american original. The second one I bought new but I made kind of a low offer. It still cost more than the used one. They are pretty great. I love how they feel, look, and sound. Pretty expensive though. I justified it by telling myself I wouldn’t buy anymore guitars and I have stuck to it. It is easy to walk away from buying a guitar when you have two CS Fenders.

A70B63CF-9522-44F3-A7F5-C8ABB26A3552.jpeg

18. SlappyDuck

SlappyDuck Tele-Meister

I enjoyed reading your comparison, thanks. Do you have a particular favorite among that range of guitars?

Corvus likes this.
  19. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have had many telecaster pass through my hands over the years, everything from Affinities to Custom Shops. For years I played a MIM live that I would occasionally change pups on and tinker with. All these guitars were different and I could adjust to any minor differences and would not be afraid to gig with any of them. I currently am blessed to have several high end guitars and my current gig guitar is a Tom Anderson. It is hard to put my finger on it but its just better than any Fender I have owned. That unknown factor comes at a very high price tag though. I have found great playing guitars in all price ranges and if you are willing to do a little work and upgrade a few components you can have the instrument of your dreams.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  20. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Well! It ought to be the Custom Shop but it actually needs some work. Following some odd sitar-like buzzes, checked the fretting with a rocker and found a number of high spots needing attention! My new double bound honeyburst Tokai is actually as perfectly made as can be but the pickups were too shrill; currently it's wearing the Tex Mex's out of a Roadworn. Vintage plus frets make it a very slick player.

Tokai custom 00.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.