1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The change from guitar to bass. Is it ever successful?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Telenator, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I play both, as well as drums and keys.

Many have said it, and it bears repeating.

Find your groove with the drummer, and keep it tight.
    Your bass and the drums, you hold down the bottom.

Nothing fancy, nothing busy.
    Just keep great time with the drummer, and you will be golden.

If you work with a given drummer for a short while, you will find that you make eye contact with them, and you will both lag and swing with each other.

:)

fretWalkr, Wulf and Telenator like this.
  2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've been playing for 45 years. Gigging for the past 40 years. I have a rough idea of how it's done. LOL.
    The reason I was asking about tunes to learn is that there are some standards in rock, blues, pop, funk, and such that are great examples of bass players doing a good job on progressions I am likely to encounter. I want to be ready when I go out there.

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't think it's quite as hard to be a decent bass player coming from guitar as some people might think. Just stick to your role like glue, lock in with the drums first and foremost. Don't play any fills. Don't even play a lot of passing notes. None is fine, a few is fine.
    Go look at a Dusty Hill bass line and reflect that nobody ever complains about that guys playing.

4. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

"Any recommendations for good songs, exercises, practice drills and such to one started on their career as a bottom feeder?"

That's what I was responding to.

If you've been gigging for 40 years, presumably you know what songs are being played. The same ones are being played on bass as guitar. :D

Telenator likes this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

A light pick, really. It is probably just me as I learned fingerpicking from the beginning but a number of our new tunes has a really syncopated bass line that requires a pick so I have added that to my arsenal. I typically uses the heaviest pick I can find that will allow me to play those quick notes with a bass thump like I would hear if I finger picked it. I will have to try a lighter pick and see what it sounds like.

Telenator likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think I transitioned to bass OK. I like both. Guitar feels like singing to me, bass feels like dancing (if that makes any sense at all)...

Telenator likes this.
  7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

DeeDee Ramone did ok playing mainly root notes

Telenator and MisterZ like this.
  8. Telenator

I find that a light pick is far less fatiguing on the thumb and fore finger. It also produces a much smoother tone and has less "pick slap" than a heavy pick.
    The thinner pick makes me play softer and more in control. It's not great for aggressive playing, but hey, I don't play that well yet anyway!

9. don

don Tele-Meister

I made the switch and actually still play both guitar and bass. For me it was first getting comfortable with Root-5 by playing along with some old school country - then learning the walks between the chord changes and listening to what the bass players on the recordings were doing. Playing some Chuck Berry type rock with the Root-3-5-3 pattern and then learning variations of both Root-5 and Root-3-5-3 will get you a long way. I play with a pick and don't let anyone tell you thats not right - check out Carole Kaye - one of the best and funkiest bass players that ever lived and she is exclusively a pick player and was first a session guitarist so she made the change too. The intro on the track below is killer and would not sound right with fingers! Good luck!

Telenator likes this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I started playing bass about ten years ago after 30 years of guitar. I think it’s not only been successful, I wonder why I didn’t do it sooner! It’s not as much fun to play by myself, but I like the feel of the instrument, the physicality of it, more than guitar at this point. I think it’s helped me gain a more intuitive understanding of what’s going on in the whole band mix too.

Fingerstyle P-bass, here. I find it less aggravating to my early-stage intermittent arthritis than guitars, although I really feel it if I step away from it and my calluses go away. Sore fingertips. Got to play a lot to maintain the calluses.

Telenator likes this.
  11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

And he used a pick!

Telenator and sixstringbastard like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Subscribe to Scotts Bass youtube channel.
    There's an interview in there too with a session bass player who said to make sure you have a P-bass (or PJ-bass) as all the studios want P-bass tones and will send you home if you don't have a P-bass in your car when you show up.

Check out Royal Blood
    as they are a band of two ... singer plays a bass with an octave up pedal so he plays both bass and guitar parts while the other guy just drums.

Telenator and Preacher like this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

You might notice that people will use simpler words in shorter sentences and start to indicate things with their hands more with you. Girls will also look right through you.

Try not to take it personally.

Telenator and bromdenlong like this.
  14. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

You can easily get by on bass with root-5 and simple stuff if you’ve put in enough practice on your vocals.

Telenator likes this.
  15. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

Would it be easier for a guitar player to learn bass on a six-string like a Bass VI tuned in Spanish tuning but one octave lower?

suthol and Telenator like this.
  16. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I actually tell guitarist that are switching to bass to get a four string only. No fives or sixes, just the four, and then work on just playing the low E and A strings at first. You can cover 90% of the songs on those two strings.
    Also knowing the fretboard is a key for playing bass, I am always surprised at how many guitarist really don't know their fretboard.

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

This...:cool::D

I can't stand still playing bass...:)

I opened my big mouth at a friend's band practice after I asked where the bass player was... he'd left... Oh I've got a bass at home but I don't play it much...

well go and get it.. you're in the band.... as it was only a half mile home I went and got it, plugged into the PA and just started playing majors off the guitarists play book or by watching his changes and sliding in a touch late until I got it down..

many of the covers I realised I'd heard hundreds of times and my brain went.. hey! I know how the bassline is supposed to go on this one.. just never knew the notes before...

played for 3 hours that first day...and for the next few years with them... I felt more part of a band playing music than I'd ever felt before...
    I was a drummer in a marching band as a school kid... my timing is still metronomic, I found out...much to the delight of the other guys..:cool:

bromdenlong, Telenator and Matthias like this.
  18. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

--A bass player I would add to the list is Paul Simonon from the Clash. The opening riff on London Calling is one of the great moments in bass guitar history. His work on that whole album is cool and different. He couldn't play a note at the beginning but had his style in a matter of months.

--I have two basses now and two more coming--I bought a Hofner Club Bass at auction over the weekend.. The one I like the least is my 1966 Precision. It's work to play that thing. McCartney chose Hofner in part because of the thin neck. Smart.

I have a Vox Cougar bass that with a neck like this and it's much easier to play. I use the Vox now in my studio for every song, but I have a Rickenbacker on order as that sound I need on some songs.

My brother has a bunch more basses and the ones we like in recording are his Hofner Beatle bass and Mosrite Ventures Bass. The bass he has I wanted to like but it never works on any song is a Fender Bass VI.

--My other brother (who actually is our bassist) has a 1981 Fender Jazz Bass and I like this bass better than his 1976 and 1960 Precision Basses. The Jazz Bass is easier to play as well with the narrower nut. It has great presence.

--The greatest bass amp I've ever heard live bar none is an Ampeg SVT. But it is a beast. With bass only one can get away with solid state live but I still prefer my old Ampeg B-15.

As ever, this is all YMMV stuff but hopefully adds some other perspective.

Telenator likes this.
  19. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Along with Ed Friedland's books I highly recommend a book called "The Lost Art Of Country Bass"

Telenator likes this.
  20. Telenator

Holy crap! I tried to get through one video on scales and Scott just blathers on and on and on before finally getting to the point, and then he blows through it so fast I can't retain it. I know the fingerboard very well, and I can't follow this guy. Thanks for the recommendation, but I think I need to start with someone who talks less and moves a little slower! I'm old ya know! LOL!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.