1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The change from guitar to bass. Is it ever successful?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Telenator, Nov 16, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a guitar player but I love the bass. I got my first bass 20 years ago for recording purposes.
    I'm not very good and still rely on root/fifth patterns.
    The one thing I would advise is not to skip learning bass techniques for fretting the notes and picking (whether with fingers, thumb or pick). It's imperative to being able to play cleanly and within the "pocket".
    I would also spend a lot of effort in keeping time properly particularly with regard to fretting/picking technique.
    To me the bass is unforgiving if your timing is off and you can't properly count the rhythmic elements.

MatsEriksson and Telenator like this.
  2. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Make that Carole Kay, bass player with the Wrecking Crew. Carole King is a piano playing song writer.

She actually doubled on guitar and played both on sessions in the 60's.

buster poser and Telenator like this.
  3. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Likely would increase your gig ops.

Around here there are 16,821 guitarists, mostly acoustic, and few bassists and drummers. To the point I cannot find them to have a trio to play some improv like I did in DC.

What you gonna do?

SRHmusic, MatsEriksson and Telenator like this.
  4. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Beatles Live at the BBC. Learn all Paul's bass lines. He started on guitar and also played with a pick, and if it was good enough for him.....

SRHmusic and Telenator like this.
  5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I actually find that using a light pick is most comfortable. It's less effort and doesn't sound too bright like a medium pick. I have no problem with it and I've always been quick, but polite about telling someone to go intercourse themselves when necessary. LOL!

MatsEriksson likes this.
  6. Telenator

I used to eat breakfast at Marcus Dairy every Sunday morning with Carole King's dad. Nice guy. Bit of a hard a55, but so am I. We got along well.

fretWalkr and MatsEriksson like this.
  7. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I'm a multi-instrumentalist who plays several instruments:

Electric, acoustic, B-bender, lap steel, slide, bass, keyboards, drums & I'm a singer (although, I haven't sang all that much in the last few years due to my health) and, since I'm basically a self-taught musician, bass guitar wasn't very difficult for me to pick up and start playing (now, the acoustic/doghouse bass might be a bit more intimidating for me since I've never played anything without frets) so....I guess I say all of that not in a bragging-type of way but.....I wish you the best.

Telenator likes this.
  8. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

I've seen this suggested for bass beginners so they don't have to think about major or minor. Obviously it's something you never would consider as a guitar player, but it works on bass.

9. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Our drummer once told me "When you play bass, I feel like I'm actually a member of the band!" One of the best compliments I've ever gotten.

10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

20121017_161728.jpg Now i want a bass VI....local guitar shop had one in...i tried it...great thing to play...but for now that will have to do

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Telenator likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Just take the time, and take YOUR time, to learn the songs, the songs that the band is learning, just like the record. Don't assume that the bass part is like the guitar part. It usually isn't. If you know your part LIKE THE RECORD then you will be able to play with any band that comes along. Playing with a pick is fine, but take the time to practice with your fingers, too.

MatsEriksson and Telenator like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I went the other way. I'm a classically trained bass player (also studied jazz) who switched to guitar. My best advice is don't overthink it. Pick the tunes you want to learn, and learn them. Not necessarily note for note, but I would try to get them about 80% right. That will teach you more about playing in a band than all the books, scales, web sites and videos in the world.

I'm NOT anti-education, but if you just want to play, then play.

13. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

This is spot on.

Totally different mindset, I'm a bass player first and a guitarist second even though I started on guitar.

( I wish I was at least half the guitarist that I am as a bass player )

Telenator and brookdalebill like this.
  14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

The thing that separates the good bass players from the mediocre around here is vocals. I don’t need them to be Whitney Houston or Frank Sinatra or anything, but I do expect some singing ability...or at least a willingness to try!

Telenator likes this.
  15. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

I confess to that after I concentrated on bass and made it my main instrument, I became a better guitar player. Much better. And so it has been deemed by other old band members and music colleagues who heard me all the way through.

SRHmusic, Telenator and basher like this.
  16. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Two tips I've picked up from being a guitarist who occasionally gets to fill in on bass--listen to the drummer and make sure he/she can hear you. There is this almost symbiotic relationship between the two where the drums drive the song, but the bass drives the drums, if that makes any sense. If you two can lock in, it gives everyone else a lot of freedom. Our bass player has a jazz background. He is great--much more instinctive and talented than I am, but I always get compliments from our drummer when I play because I just lock in with him and keep it simple.

Telenator and MatsEriksson like this.
  17. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

fretWalkr you are correct. Brain fade on my part, post corrected. Thanks.

fretWalkr likes this.
  18. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Whatever, Telenator, good luck!

You're going to get gigs at least, choose between them, and can be discriminating and picky of which bands you will join or leave, or threaten to leave since bassists don't grow on trees in your area...[standard advice answer over at Talkbass forum whenever band drama kicks in: Fire the drummer, and rage quit!] :D

Telenator and Wulf like this.
  19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

It requires a different thought process. To understand, here is an old joke:

We enter the minds of the band on Friday night:
    The drummer is thinking, "Wow, we are playing great tonight! I'm going to get the great drugs!"
    The guitarist is thinking, "Wow, we are playing great tonight! I'm going to get the cool chicks!"
    The keyboardist is thinking, "Wow, we are playing great tonight! I get to play all the complex chords!"
    The bassist is thinking, "A-E-A-E-D-E-A-E..."

Bob

bromdenlong, suthol and Telenator like this.
  20. Telenator

I completely agree. Every time a band has said, "we play that tune our own way," it has meant that no one cared enough to actually learn it correctly and it makes me crazy. It's one of my pet peeves! Will I learn the songs correctly? Heck yeah! And if it doesn't sound good, it's because the rest of you losers never learned it right in the first place and now it has no groove! Rant over. LOL

2HBStrat and SRHmusic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.