The case for the Strat in modern Praise and Worship, feat. the PRS Silver Sky

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Nahtabot, Apr 9, 2021.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

This is the amp and cab I used for years on stage at church: Notice the Weber MiniMass attenuator on the head. No Strat, rather my bastardized Jazz Master with TVJones filtertrons, Tele neck, Bigsby, and Gibson switch. I call him El Bastardo.

2ADFC450-53D9-46A1-91D4-F5D442A4CC2B.jpeg

IMG_0524.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    hotraman likes this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Being a luthier and a cabinetmaker I'm salivating over your Rocket 30. I'm not familiar with them, what kind of circuit is it?

rxtech and CapnCrunch like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

in P&W, i've used les paul, es-339, gretsch corvette, teles, strats, and probably others i can't recall at the moment. all of them worked just fine.

the best guitar i've ever used is my heritage h-535. the one i have is not very much like a gibson 335. it looks like one, but it does not sound very much like the 335 i owned for awhile. my 535 has a "harmonica" tailpiece with a roller bridge, not the gibson type bridge. it has a whole different attitude about it, and i have found it to be perfect for P&W. it settles into the mix so well.

but i also often play one of my strats. they are also perfect for P&W. or any other type of music.

black_doug likes this.
  4. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Recently have rediscovered the Strat tones in a Worship setting. I found a guitar i have been looking for in a 1994 USA Washburn Silverado Strat a few months back. Owned one a few years back and stupidly sold it as just wasn't using single coils at the time. There are only a few hundred so doubted I would find another nice one until I had a buddy on another forum hit me about buying his.
    Really loving having a traditional Strat toned guitar again in a worship setting. Running it through ether my Boogies or my PRS amps few effects and really enjoying playing her!
    Here is a photo think Suhr or Anderson build quality amazing traditional Strat tones with my Duncan Sufer II's but with a super fast slim 16 radius neck and 6105 frets. Swamp ash body one piece maple neck and a Wilky 100. IMO this Silverado will absolutely bury a Sliver Sky!
    Through my PRS MT 15

1994 Silverado 1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    hotraman likes this.
  5. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Also running my Kiesel DC Superstrat a lot lately. S/S/H with the bucker in the bridge set to auto Split in Pos 2 with the single in the middle so pretty traditional Strat tones except in the bridge.
    Here she is through the MT 15

2017 Kiesel 4.jpg

hotraman likes this.
  6. CapnCrunch

It is a Trainwreck Rocket clone that I built. It is Ken Fischer's design in which he was attempting to build the ultimate "clean" amp. It is an AC 30 circuit with higher voltages, very short wire runs, and huge hi-fi transformers. It has more low end than an AC-30 and a flatter frequency response. It also doesn't break up quite as early. It is a rock machine when cranked though. I much prefer it through green backs over alnico Blues. The cabinet is Claro Walnut with figured Big Leaf Maple front panel. It's finished with Nitro Lacquer.

There is lots of documentation on all of the Trainwreck amps and Dumble amps @ The Amp Garage - Index page

transformers and tubes:

A43BB5F7-34D6-4DFD-8BBF-F53BBEE1EC7C.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    hotraman, Ascension and telepraise like this.
  7. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

I have become a believer in the Strat in modern worship as of late. Bought one of my grail guitars in a Wahsburn Silverado USA Custom. Built in 1994 and one of only a few that came out of the Chicago Custom Shop under Grover Jackson. Have a custom harness and a set of Duncan Antiquity II Retrospect Surfers in it and it's knocking me out.
    This is from today's service through my Mesa Boogie F 30 head a miced cab in the back and only a old Boss DD3 running in the loop.

Here at the house over a track no effects of any kind through my PRS Archon head and PRS 2/12.

1994 Silverado 1.jpg

budglo, studio and hotraman like this.
  8. Redleg37

Redleg37 Tele-Meister

As for myself, right now I will only play telecasters in church.

mostly because I only own one electric guitar and it’s a telecaster.

GoldieLocks and hotraman like this.
  9. Grenville

Grenville TDPRI Member

Needs a haircut. ;)

black_doug likes this.
  10. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

My main guitars in worship are strats. They are very expressive and versatile . I’ve got a broadcaster that is somewhat new to me and right now love how the strats are fitting into the mix.

11. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I am a stickler in that way too. I only play guitars that I actually have. Otherwise, if I don't own it or can't get my hands on it, I don't play it. Lookin' at you Rickenbacker ...

12. CapnCrunch

I have an air guitar that I like to play during online church services. It has the best tone of all my guitars I think because the finish doesn't keep it from breathing.......:twisted::lol:

JuneauMike likes this.
  13. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Well, before heading out to the desert to wait on my father to pass (and support mom), I played a Strat on Sunday.

... sort of. It's a neck through from China with beautiful inlay work on the fretboard. I had to replace all the hardware and electronics. Plays nice now. Very different from a Tele, but still nice.

sinocaster.jpg

black_doug likes this.
  14. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

sinocaster rebuild.jpg

15. CapnCrunch

That is a pretty guitar. I am sorry to hear about your dad. It is really hard to lose a parent. I pray for peace for you and your mom.

16. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Thanks. He's had dementia and deteriorating health for a while. We were hoping to get them both up to Orgon, but dad didn't make it... Waiting sucks.

17. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to read about this. The waiting does suck

mRtINY likes this.
  18. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Went through it with my Mom she passed last Thanksgiving day. Was a hard time and I understand what you are going through. Prayers your way and here if you need me man!

mRtINY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.