The car market - wow.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, May 19, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My wife had the hopefully brief idea that my car should replace the kids' 21 year old Camry. For the moment I think I'm safe from that idea but what I discovered was interesting.

BEVs: A BEV makes a lot of sense, aTesla Model Y is available now but I can't make myself spend that much. At same time, the Bolt at super prices lacks adaptive cruise and AEB. VW's efforts are stalled.

Overall: Wow there are a lot of vehicles out there and wow was I surprised by how uninteresting most seemed to me.

Finance: It looks like one of those times in life when it really is a buyer's market. Pretty much everyone but Tesla has 0% interest for 4-7 years. Lots of makers have deferred payments. Quite a few have cash back, $6000 - $7000 for some VW and GM.

Reality: I think I'll teach the kids how to fix car stuff in addition to basic bathroom remodeling. I'm already a low mileage driver. Lately it's been less. A super commuter e-assist bicycle looks better than what most of the car industry has to offer until Teslas are cheaper or their competition gets it going.

Finance #2: I have a feeling the car deals will continue. In addition to teaching my kids how to keep the old one running and borrow a parent's car, this is probably a good time to teach them value investing.

2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Mrs. bsman's car was stolen on April 13, and yesterday we bought a new Mazda 3 (the stolen car was a 2013 Mazda 3) AWD. Got a great price, rebate, 0%, and the whole shebang. She still misses her "Aurora", though...

imwjl likes this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'm one of those odd guys that loves buying cars. Slimy car dealers don't bother me in the least, never have. Just paid off the last NEW car, a 2015 Honda Accord Sport 6M. My wife has wanted an Infiniti forever so we picked up a used Q50 and she's tickled pink with it.

4. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

A couple years ago I found a nice '09 Nissan Frontier 4WD Crew Cab pickup with only 46,000 miles on it, I snatched it up. This has been a great truck; nice used pickups are hard to find.

5. natec

natec TDPRI Member

Yep - I got a 2015 Tundra last weekend. Better deals than I've seen in awhile.

6. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I ordered a vw Multivan before corona. I wonder if they ever build it. They shutdown the Volkswagen factory in Germany completely for a longtime. Hope the guys still know what they are doing....

superjam144 and imwjl like this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

If you have an order, is that a T7 already? I'm interested in the ID.3 that seems very delayed, and the BEV van that might be based on Transporter T7 or vice a versa.

VW seems like a mess right now or at least here for quite a few models. There are SUVs that are popular but the Mk 8 Golf is delayed, all electrics are delayed, and they're killing the Golf Alltrack. Much of my wife's family is German, there or in Luxembourg so there's some VW fondness but here Subaru is legitimately the best wagon maker. Toyota and Honda's US vans also whole other league. When we do international travel and rent the Asia or European market vans there's a big contrast when we get back in my wife's where other vehicles are mostly the same.

My mother in law is a German citizen living here and she broke her tradition of loving VWs in the past decade. Now she thinks I'm crazy for liking them but not so much for electric powered vehicles.

8. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Don't think those are available in the US. They look amazing. What color did you get?

9. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Just today we got a mailer from the manufacturer offering us a really tempting deal on trading in our 2017 for a new car. Sales are down, they have inventory to move.

It would be a good way for me to contribute to economic stimulus:)

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Pop finance but an idea to consider ...

richiek65, 68tele and imwjl like this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I got a New Dodge Journey last year. All the know-it-alls said that this vehicle was to oldschool when it came to electronics and interior, underpowered(it's a small SUV, not a Charger/Challenger) and due for a upgrade in looks.
    As far as oldschool was concerned, I'm oldschool so it didn't matter.
    I didn't expect it to preform like a race car, so the 2.4Liter engine does what I need it to do and gets around 25MPG with the AC on. It also accelerates well enough for my needs(I don't drive like a old fart).
    Looks good enough for me and at 21k, it was a great buy.

william tele likes this.
  12. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Good for you. Help out local business. Didn't stop me from trading a Harley and my wife dropped a bucket on new leather furniture.

Deathray and dkmw like this.
  13. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I have 2000 Dodge Ram Van and 2001 Land Rover Discovery II, I've had them for 16 and 8 years respectively.

I don't see them being replaced unless the engine or transmission completely grenades, which is unlikely.

There's little in life I hate more than a car payment.

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never financed a car, there's always plenty of good used cars around.... :)

maybe if I won lotto I'd buy one new...;)

Skub and glenlivet like this.
  15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

So, save up and buy things outright instead of buying on credit and paying interest. Is there anyone that doesn't know this?

electrichead and howardlo like this.
  16. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Doesn't it depend on the cost of money versus how much one can make on the same cash as an investment?

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Value investing ?

All you have to do is gesture toward your 21-year-old Camry* and they’ll know all about that.

I too think the deals will continue. And continue.

And, production will slow, new model introduction will slow, days supplies will increase and that’ll be the new normal - for the foreseeable future .

*as the proud new owner of a 16 yr old Lexus Camry (ES330) I love hearing 21 yr old Camry tales !

william tele and imwjl like this.
  18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

There was an article in the local paper ... Knoxville TN ...

Demand for bicycles is huge ... shops can't keep up ... but car dealers could only wish ...

Driver3 and ozcal like this.
  19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I'd like to be able to afford a other vehicle but I'm not seeing it. I have a low mileage 09 corolla and a higher mileage 05 kia that I use for work. However that one needs a cat conv.

I really like having two vehicles but the only way I could see getting anything newish would be junking the Kia and selling the toyota. Ugh, n . I'm standing pat until I have to do something

electrichead likes this.
  20. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Last December my wife and I leased a new gas SUV with all the options-maximum cup holders, airbags on airbags, lane change and distance warnings, double moon roof, big wattage sound system, cameras top front and rear, adjustable ride, internet connectivity, electronic everything-using a buying service. We got a good deal, 15% off sticker price with no negotiation. We got an e-mail from the dealer with the price, went in and they honored it-no pushback or pressure for add ons. The biggest hassle was hooking up the app. I can't ascribe the price to my superior negotiating skills and countering the ploys of dealers. I know there are dealer incentives, hold backs, finance percentages and other methods wherein dealers get paid that are not known by buyers.

I told a friend in the car biz about the purchase price and he said, oh yeah. Dealers were trying to dump inventory in anticipation of a rapidly softening new car market.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.