The Buttercaster Project

Jack Wells

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well ............... you could tell me either of those was the sharper one and I'd have to believe you because I can't tell any difference.

andy__woods

Tele-Afflicted
looks like the picture on top is a little brighter as far as color goes too, the green is a little greener on that side

meyekel

Tele-Holic
Hey Buckocaster, nice job documenting everything. You are making me want to start accumulating the parts to build one myself. Keep the info coming!

On a side note to the Pshop sharpening, try using the high pass at around 30-40 and using hard light. scrubby back the opacity to taste. it gives it that surreal/illustration look. desaturate a tad and you'd swear it was done in oil paint.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
No time to get to the "shop" today...but supplies continue to pour in...

These are a couple of Allparts necks and staggered height tuners that arrived from the Home Office of Fret Tech the other day. Those Allparts necks are hard to beat. I have a couple of USACG necks and if they are any better I can't tell. (USACG does offer custom options - I guess that is what the "C" stands for - so you can get things from them that you can't get from Allparts.)

There are also a few Fender bridge plates in there. Dale down in Texas has some Glendale Wide Intone Twang compensated saddles coming my way that will finish them off nicely.

necks500.jpg

A couple of sets of Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups have arrived. The ones I have used in the past have been MORE than adequate and have opened a few eyes. The low price is just icing on the cake. I do want to try to put pickup covers on these. I just needs to have my chrome.

keystones500.jpg

Tools! Where would we be without tool? I broke my sort of strick but not too strick rule of never spending more that $99 on a tool and got this great box from Grizzly. I hope there is an oscillating spindle sander in it.

grizzlysander500.jpg

and for those of you who have been follwing the discussion about sharpening up photos w/Photoshop, here is the same picture w/o using the HIGHPASS filter trick

grizzlysander500unsharp.jpg

betchacanseethedifferenceinthese

so much to learn...so little time to learn it in...

maybe Friday night, if I skip the football game, I can get one of the bodies routed for binding.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Tom S said:
What? You're NOT making the necks???? That's the fun part! :lol:

I do have a copy of Melyvn Hiscock's book and am taking notes and making plans. I suspect there is some neck making in my future.

Baby steps. Baby steps are the story of my life.

Thanks for looking out for me! ;)

btw - I DID build the neck on this beast...

BassBack.gif

(this is either a stringless bass - or a photo of the back of an acoustic bass I put together a few years ago. I can't remember which it was.)

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
With a stringless bass, do you humm the notes into a mike over EQ'd on the low end while slapping the pickups? And how do you tune those strings that aren't there?

Ron Kirn

Tom S

Friend of Leo's
Buckocaster51 said:
I do have a copy of Melyvn Hiscock's book and am taking notes and making plans. I suspect there is some neck making in my future.

Baby steps. Baby steps are the story of my life.

Thanks for looking out for me!

btw - I DID build the neck on this beast...

If you built that neck, you probably don't need Hiscock's book. ;) And you already know there's something very satisfying about making your own neck! Then again, for all the work...

mojocasterman said:
considering how good the Allparts necks are, why bother? :)
...there's definitely something to be said for this line of thinking! :lol:

Big Tony

Friend of Leo's
I've been following this thread.
Just wanted to say that I think it's great, I'm learning new stuff all the time!

Thanks, Buckocaster51!

/ Tony

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Another week done, several boxes of supplies have arrived, the football game is out of town tonight, we're not giggin...time to make some sawdust!

First thing is to get out the Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander. I have high hopes for this critter. My palm sander tends to "round over" the sides. I hope with the spindle sander I can keep the sides perpendicular to the top and back.

GrizzlySanderunboxed500.jpg

So we pop on the 3" diameter drum and sand away...

firstsawdust500.jpg

Low and behold...the sides are staying perpedicular and avoiding the round-over I get with the palm sander. I'm happy. This will make binding easier.

It's also nice to have a way to easily sand these small radii.

smallestspindle500.jpg

Last edited:

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Now time to cut some channels for the binding.

Here's what I will be using. The world's worst router, and a set of Grizzly adjustable rabbeting cutters.

bindingtools500.jpg

Here is the bad boy that will do the cutting. A carbide cutter with a pilot bearing. The set comes with a selection of bearings. One of them gives a cut that is the same thickness as the binding. There is a machine screw that goes into the top of the shaft that holds everything in place. Got to get it tight. That little fellow has spun loose on me a few times in the past. It gets lost in the sawdust, the bearing goes flying, and the cutter takes a big chunk of wood that you would rather have stay in the guitar. Not an entirely pleasant event.

bindingcutter500.jpg

Before I actually take the cutter to the guitar body, we make a sample cut in a piece of scrap. A short piece of binding fits nicely. I have measured twice and cut once. Norm will be happy.

samplecut500.jpg

With the cutter in the router and the body securely clamped to my workbench (aka a radial arm saw table) I am ready to make that first cut.

bodyreadytogo500.jpg

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Take a DEEP breath and cut away...

and this is what you get. The flat spot is looking nice. Got to have a nice looking flatspot. All double bound Teles just got to. That's the way it is.

firstcut500.jpg

a few more careful cuts...repositioning the body on the work table...flipping it over...and suddenly, you have a body that has been routed for binding. (It only looks like the bearing got a little warm. Really.)

neckpocketroutes500.jpg

The world's worst router has come through again. Two bodies, one poplar and one alder are almost ready for binding and glue.

tworoutedbodies500.jpg

"Almost" because first we have to get rid of some of the fuzzy edges. 220 grit sandpaper will work nicely.

sandingdownroughedges500.jpg

tdowns

Former Member
Great thread!!! Thanks for sharing. You are a great craftsman. I know it's gonna come out great. :lol:

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Time to do some binding, but I need fresh masking tape. Time to go to the Dollar General store. Do you know why it is called "Dollar General?" Many things, but not all things, only costs a dollar. Masking tape is one of those things that only cost a dollar. Spray paint only costs a dollar, but they don't have any good colors. It's nice when you can buy what you need for a dollar. Makes up buying that budget-busting Grizzly sander. It cost more than my self-imposed limit of $99.

maskingtape500.jpg

On the way back from the Dollar General store we get a little glimpse of what the outside of the "shop" looks like. Truck needs washing. Truck needs washing BAD. Sawdust will do that.

theworkshop500.jpg

Before we get going, I want to point out that my fingers are clean and not covered with cyanoacrylate glue. I bet in 15 minutes they will look different.

cleanfingers500.jpg

This project gets moved inside. It's nice and warm inside. Inside is a good place to be. Can't make sawdust inside. That would be bad. Can't be bad.

A container of cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue to you non-chemists) some binding, a utility knife, my nice new masking tape, and a place to sit should be all that I need.

bindingsupplies500.jpg