The butt of all car jokes, BUT I dont think this car is ugly

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Counterpoint:

Nissan-Murano-CrossCabriolet-1-2.jpg

I'm forever picking on KIA and Hyundai, but this Nissan creation is obviously worse than any of the designs the Koreans have ripped off from other manufacturers (then messed up a bit).

I can't actually look at these Murano conversions (adaptations) dead on - makes me so nauseous. I saw an elderly couple (woman driving) on some seriously difficult National Forest Service single lane roads - I wonder how they got way back in there. Noplace to turn around, pretty much.

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Again, I give you the "butt" of all car jokes, what my neighbor called the Pontiac Asscrack.

In my 1.5 million + miles of total driving over my lifetime, this 2003 Aztek has 277,000 miles on it and does almost anything; easily my best overall vehicle. My friends and family constantly borrowed it.

The best is 4'x8' sheets of plywood flat in the back with the clamshell hatch lowered.

View attachment 913803

What I found strange was, Buick had a version of this (Rendevous, I think) and everyone clamored to say how good it was in every way. Numerous features were common to both vehicles and "objective" observers found the Pontiac bad and the Buick good - the rear suspension was identical on the two but who would tell you that?

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think the gremlin is a cute and cool car. I don't consider it ugly but the pacer kinda is.

Now this is an Ugly Car. Oldsmobile fans affectionately call it the buttless cutlass.

View attachment 913850

Don't mind these, one bit. What folks overlooked is, these were actually fairly well made cars. Compared to for example a Citation, no contest at all. The fastback Sevilles are fine with me as well. I think it is remarkable how many of these things still get around without too much care - while the Fords and Mopars of this era are largely all gone (as are the Japanese import cars of this era).

chris m.

Poster Extraordinaire
The Ford Maverick was also common in this era.

I briefly dated a woman who drove a purple Gremlin....around 1980 or '81, I think it was.
I have to admit that later on when I dated a different woman who drove a nice vintage Mustang I
liked riding in that car a lot more. No, her name was not Sally.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
AMC made a lot of ugly cars - Gremlin, Matador, Pacer, Rambler. I wasn't a fan back when they were making them, but they're kinda cool now just for nostalgia.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
awwspmixqzv71.jpg

Its cutoff but in a balanced way, and the design is bold and functional in a European classic fashion. I dunno what's so ugly about it. Modern cars are way uglier imho

I had a '74. Purple, where the Upstate NY rustworms hadn't yet eaten all the way through.

It was pretty solid compared to a friend's rattly Pinto and my fiancee's truly awful Vega. Front-heavy, lousy traction as it was rear-wheel drive with 0 weight on those wheels, terrible visibility due to the absurd rear pillars, not exactly easy on the gas. Cheap dash and dials, leaky seals. Not a real hatchback in that only the window opened, not the frame around it. Very easy to shut that window on something/someone crammed in the back and bust it. And it was very easy to lose the gas filler cap, which was where the pictured example's license plate is.

But it was about as reliable as an American economy car was gonna be in those dismal days.

Good advertisements for Honda hatchbacks, all.

And, to think, we used to make stuff like this:
2-1552059001987.jpg

Last edited:

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Gremlins, cut little critters compared to what was coming out of Detroit a few years later. Can you say K Car?

010619-1984-Chrysler-LeBaron-1-630x390.jpg

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
Learned to drive with a '74 Matador with bias ply's. Good times.

I used to drive a '76 Matador station wagon with the faux wood paneling. I was the envy of all of the guys. With regard to the Gremlin, AMC got exactly what they deserved for that car, reputation-wise, by naming it after a mechanical troublemaker in the first place.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
You could be right.

Doing a little quick google-fu, it looks like the Lark was based on a modified version of the platform and shell that dated from 1953, so both of us could be right?
I think you're more correct. ;) My old man loved the Avanti and I remembered that nugget from him somehow, but didn't know what the Lark was based on. Loved the Avanti anyhow.

Of course, I also like these, so... my opinions are suspect. Give me one with an S54:

BMW-M-Coupe-1.jpg