The butt of all car jokes, BUT I dont think this car is ugly

homesick345

Poster Extraordinaire
awwspmixqzv71.jpg

Its cutoff but in a balanced way, and the design is bold and functional in a European classic fashion. I dunno what's so ugly about it. Modern cars are way uglier imho

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, I wonder if it was just "ugly" compared to what else was available at the time.

The Kia Rondo reigns supreme for ugly cars these days.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I grew up 20 miles away from Kenosha, where those AMC cars were made. I didn't think too much of them then but now I realize that their designs were really quite good, and definitely ahead of their time. I have a serious appreciation for them now and would be happy to have a Gremlin or one of several other AMC cars in my garage now.

knavel

Tele-Holic
I knew this would be an AMC car before I clicked the thread! The Gremlin looks like a light switch. The ugliest AMC is the Matador. I won't repeat the way I used to describe its aesthetic back in the day as it is insensitive by today's standards.

psallo

Tele-Meister
Did people regard these ugly at the time? It just looks like every other car from the 70s to me.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I had one of those Gremlin X's back in the 70's, well, until my Dad wrecked it when he borrowed it when his Pontiac was broken down.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Looking at that car now, I honestly think that the styling is quite GOOD! Very efficient use of interior space, good visibility (assuming that you know how to use your rear view mirrors), and it's just DIFFERENT from everything else.

Ron R

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just think that all AMC's became the butt of jokes. Not just this one in particular. If it runs good and looks good, that's all that matters to me.
I had a buddy who had the (mis)fortune of having two Hornets - his first car, then second when the first one died. Neitherr comfort nor reliability was a strong point with those two.
That said, I'd take an old Javelin in a heartbeat. And I miss the days when they made the Jeep line. I stil remember one very cool aspect of the CJs/Wranglers was that the transmission would bolt right up to a GM small block.

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
awwspmixqzv71.jpg

Its cutoff but in a balanced way, and the design is bold and functional in a European classic fashion. I dunno what's so ugly about it. Modern cars are way uglier imho

It was never ugly. People in the 70s just liked a lot of big dumb stuff.

Sadly, they all seem to have rusted into oblivion.