The Bullet Truss Rod Nut on Reissues - Are They Supposed To Come Off?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, May 23, 2020.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Thanks so much, ricknbaker. I just saw this advice in action about an hour ago..haha!

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Not sure where you’ll find a newbie at 1 am in the morning but, if you really want one, I’d start looking soon

Andy Summers likes this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

If you turn the thing clockwise in the case of the bottom picture you’ll do untold damage, that neck is too far gone to save merely by using the TR, unless it’s a bi-directional one. If the neck is dead flat, you add relief by gently tightening the rod. If it’s bent back, generally, get help would be my advice!

I don’t see an issue with the other two though. Second pic., strings pulling the neck forward, bowing it upwards. Tighten the rod, i,e., turn the nut clockwise as seen from the machine head end and the TR counters the pull of the strings, pulling the neck towards the top illustration. Am I the only one who’s seeing it backwards?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. Andy Summers

Hahaha!! That took me a moment, Wrighty. Good one :)

5. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Glad you liked it! On a personal note, and not prying, but my Stepdad’s name was Summers and I found it to not be a common name. Not sure where you are but any connections with London’s East End?

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Andy Summers

Sorry, Wrighty. But that's not even my name. Andy Summers was the guitarist for The Police and is greatly responsible for my Tele obsession. I chose that name here back in 2006 when I was a much younger lad..LOL. It was totally harmless, just an homage to a personal revered artist is all, but you'd be surprised how many times I was asked if I was "THE Andy Summers". I didn't expect that and I probably wouldn't choose it again..haha. But at this point I just don't have the heart to change it. Sorry to disappoint :)

And I wish I had any connection to London. Ever since I was young kid watching all the variations of A Christmas Carol, I've had this little romantic obsession with it. And I've never been. One day, perhaps.

Cheers,

Rob

BBQedIguana likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

OK, so I thought it was a coincidence.................or, perhaps you are the Mr Summers! You must get to London. It’s moved on a bit since Dickens............come too think of it, probably only a little bit in some cases. I recently took a look at the building on which the workhouse in CC was based, on Cleveland St, a few doors along from where Charles lived as a kid.

Last edited: May 27, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Andy Summers likes this.
  8. Andy Summers

Oh wow! That’s so awesome!! I would love to see that in person. And yeah, I have no doubt it’s moved on a bit since then..haha. But just to be there and take it all in would be enough for me. And seeing sites like you mentioned is on my bucket list for sure. I will get there one day.

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

My favourite city in the world is New York. Has been since before I ever went there! Had seen it in films and it was exactly as I imagined it when I arrived. In spite of my wife’s ‘what, again?’, I will return!

Mind you, I love London too, I remember spending hours there with my Dad when I was young. Vividly recall claiming to the top of the Fire Monument with him when I was around 7. We got to the top, admired them view and my Dad said ‘must head for home now Son’. When I protested he said ‘we’ve been here (in London) for five hours! A lifetime for me, slept on tge 50 min. train ride home. My Dad died when I was 11 and I inherited his watch. Few years back I took a trip to the top of the monument wearing his watch. Not ashamed to admit I sobbed my eyes out....................A very kind elderly couple, whom I’d never met, offered me words of comfort. Still, enough, get yourself over here, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! Sorry if I went on a bit.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

What if you really are THE Andy Summers and this “Rob” fellow only comes out when questioned about it?

Hmmmmm

BBQedIguana likes this.
  11. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

The nut will unscrew completely from a heel-adjusting truss rod, too. That is, if the neck is off or if there's a channel in the body that gives it enough room to come off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.