The Bullet Truss Rod Nut on Reissues - Are They Supposed To Come Off?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, May 23, 2020.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Hey all! Recently picked up a used Telecaster Deluxe Reissue from Japan. Told it was from around 2014. It has the bullet truss rod and when I turn the bullet to straighten the neck for less bow, the bullet just loosens and I could pull it right off. If I turn it the other way, it does Seem to tighten. I was told the bullet on the reissues may just be covers and they are supposed to come off and then you can tighten the rod? I had never heard of this, and when I looked in the hole after the bullet came out, I didn’t really see anyway I could get in there to adjust it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Summers

It appears this may have a single action truss rod, so this may be normal? From what I understand, a single action will only turn one way..sort of. I mean if you tighten it going in the opposite direction of what I’m used to to remove bow, it removes bow, correct? So you can than move it back and it will then go back to having relief? Just bothers me that it turns in the opposite direction than what I’m used to. Does that make sense...haha?

Funny, I’ve played Teles for 20 years, but only recently got up the nerve to do my own truss rod adjustments. Kind of had to in these current times. But this one goes against all that I’ve known and heard all these years, so I’m a little thrown off.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

A properly-operating bullet truss rod tightens (straightens the neck) when you rotate the bullet clockwise. It loosens (relaxes the neck) when you turn it counterclockwise.

It operates the same basic way a 'hidden' adjuster works at the headstock end.

Andy Summers and Fretting out like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

From my experience the Japanese bullet nuts are the same as the old USA nuts

If you unscrew it all the way you’ll just see threads
    Nothing special about it

Yes singles work in one direction

And if you loosen it, it will bow if you tighten it will remove bow

Andy Summers likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lefty loosey/righty righty. On every truss rod I’ve ever turned. Tightening removes bow. Tightening too much can cause back-bow, and/or a busted rod.

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Andy Summers

Oh, ok. Thanks guys. So I should be good then, it sounds? I’d go try now, but its 1am here and I am in bed for the night. But jeez...I feel like a newbie right now :)

7. Fretting out

As far as is it supposed to come off to reveal a regular nut underneath? No

I’ve never heard this one, my bet is that if the bullet comes out to reveal a regular nut that it was manufactured in a bootleg shop where they had no idea what they were looking at

Or someone had a legit fender that they didn’t know what to do or what they were looking at

Andy Summers likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Ha! After reading your posts I saw you’ve been a member for over a decade

I was thinking “is this some sort of test”

It happens to all of us

Jakedog and Andy Summers like this.
  9. Andy Summers

From what I saw, I didn’t see a nut. Looked like it could have been the threaded end of the rod. But yeah, the bullet did come completely off. Did tighten back up when I turned it clock wise though.

10. Andy Summers

Haha!! Yup! I’ve been a member here since 2006. 2003 really, but something happened that I dont recall that I had to recreate my account. But truss rod adjustments are new to me. Only started doing them about 2 months ago. They honestly always scared me for some reason...haha. Just had things breaking and wood splitting happening in my head :)

Fretting out likes this.
  11. Fretting out

It seems like a lot of players have truss rod apprehension
    I’d been playing for 10 years or so before i started making adjustments, I remember my father who played back in the 70’s-80’s saying “why are you doing that” or “leave it alone” or “never touch the truss rod”

It’s just another piece of hardware that as long as you’re comfortable and know it’s limits is simple to get the hang of

I’d recommend a set of feeler gauges for setting relief

Antmax and Andy Summers like this.
  12. Andy Summers

For sure, Fretting out!! My “tech” friends always laugh at me for that. But I’m getting there..I think. Which leads me to this...

Let me ask you guys...righty tighty, lefty loosy...I take it your standing at the headstock looking down the neck? I look at these two pictures and it confuses me. These are saying the opposite things, no? Or are they saying the same thing, but just approaching the guitar from different angles? The bottom one is the one that makes sense to me.

506BDDFE-D620-4309-B6EC-C346E1754A07.jpeg 21F16245-2379-4F5F-8BFB-2C416508F766.jpeg

And thanks for the recommendation about the feeler gauges, Fretting Out. I’ll look into that.

Edit: That top picture is actually a diagram from a YouTube video and all the folks commenting hammer the guy for having his information reversed. But I’ll leave this here as a public service announcement for anyone else who may be feeling the same pain in the future..haha.

So in the end, I’m going to go by the bottom picture, assume the bullet on my guitar is normal, and try it again tomorrow with this new single direction truss rod knowledge I just learned about...even though it’s technically not single direction...alright, I need sleep now. Thank you all!!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The wording in the top picture does seem wrong—they've confused "clockwise" and "counterclockwise."

It's also weird that the picture shows the strings following the curves of the fretboard. o_O

Andy Summers likes this.
  14. Andy Summers

Hahaha!! Yeah, the strings are hilarious. And the comments on the guys video where this comes from are hilarious. And sad actually. His “advice” seems to have screwed some folks. Not sure why the guy doesn’t take it down. I’d share the link, but dont want to be a “bad guy”. And years ago I shared a YouTube video here of someone I found “amusing” and low and behold, he happened to be a member here...haha.

Fretting out likes this.
  15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The truss rod is a nut and bolt. How complicated can that be?

[​IMG]

Fretting out likes this.
  16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You have it backwards. The nut tightens when you adjust for less up-bow.

Those instructions ought to be illegal, and barred from the Internet. It's like the guitar equivalent of posting false CPR instructions.

Andy Summers likes this.
  17. Andy Summers

Isn’t that what I said? If it didn’t come across that way, that’s what I meant. I can honestly say, I at least knew that :)

And, agreed on those instructions. All the people that have complained on his YouTube video and stated his instructions screwed up some of their guitars, he still doesn’t take it down. And love the CPR instruction reference... Perfect!! haha!!

18. Andy Summers

Ok. Thanks?

19. Andy Summers

It’s all set folks. I just tightened it up and set the neck how I like. I do feel pretty silly for this one. I didn’t fully understand the differences in truss rods (single, double action and/or bi flex) and having watched friends/guitar techs do it enough times, I’ve never seen a nut come off let alone had no experience with the bullet thing, which I guess isn’t really that much different from what I gather. Oh well...yeah, I feel silly, but hey, I learned. 20 years later..haha. Thanks folks! On to the next learning experience.

Fretting out likes this.
  20. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

The thing to bear in mind with truss rod adjustments is that a quarter of a turn is a lot. Go easy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.