the breakfast burrito problem

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Sep 13, 2021.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

burrito.jpg

Hamstein, Timbresmith1 and drlucky like this.
  2. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Beans in breakfast tacos?!? No. Maybe for children...like serving them pancakes for supper...but otherwise no.

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Rules about when to eat what? As you wish, but I try to avoid that sort of thing.

buster poser likes this.
  4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

Unfortunately I am off the tortillas and potatoes for a while. But the other ingredients stand!

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you.

But frankly, I'm having difficulty relating to the O.P., what with his approval of this McD stuff. People's tastes all vary. Since I couldn't choke down any of this McD stuff, I don't know if what you or I thought tasted good, would necessarily taste good to him.

We talk about a percentage of the population finding that cilantro tastes like soap. But that's just the very first step, in all the ways people's taste vary (whether they like it or not).

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All this talk about McDonald's, if I was hungry I could eat four of their burritos, and the bag they came in. C'mon man it's just a burrito.

MisterZ, drlucky and haggardfan1 like this.
  7. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I get wanting to duplicate a meal.

I haven’t eaten ANY fast-food in years. I just decided it wasn’t fit for my body after I hit 30.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The only problem with breakfast burritos is that I don't have a bag full of them right now.

MisterZ, Timbresmith1 and Manual Slim like this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a food historian. But I have never seen a flour tortilla in Mexico outside of a big resort catering to tourists, and I've been all over that country. A "burrito" is, specifically, a flour tortilla containing the full complement of a standard Mexican meal - meat, rice, beans, salsa. Some meat and chiles in a corn tortilla is NOT a "burrito"! I know this is a friendly board, but to question my knowledge of Mexican (and gringo-mex) food takes some huevos, let's just say. :)

The nickname for a flour-tortilla quesadilla in Mexican slang is a "gringa" (white girl), in fact...

fjblair likes this.
  10. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Why would questioning your knowledge require eggs? I had burritos in quotes since the subject was the dish's origins which predate the field worker origin story by a fair bit. Pueblos put meat + chile (and obviously, I thought, other things) in a tortilla which you could call a burrito since there is not any specific definition. The concept of "standard Mexican meal" and its definition was pretty funny though, good one.

If anything not encountered in Mexico is now "gringo," okay, but the flour tortilla is a staple here in New Mexico, across California and the Southwest, and... in Mexico. I too have traveled the country a little bit and grew up in an ethnically mixed family in Texas where I encountered flour tortillas frequently. Maybe my tias and the locals are/were doing it wrong. Interesting read below. Cheers.

https://food52.com/blog/21752-flour-tortillas-history

'Flour tortillas are certainly more common in the northern part of the country, where the terroir is more suited to growing wheat than corn. But they’re both integral to Mexican—and Tex-Mex—cuisine.'

rghill likes this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Dude, it's all fun, but if anything you put into or around a tortilla is called a "burrito", your version of Mexican food is a lot different than mine. At least we can, hopefully, agree that a McDonald’s breakfast burrito is not a high culinary bar to clear. Peace!

12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

McDonalds sausage is nasty. My cat won't even eat it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

By my reckoning the coefficient of beans has been juxtaposed with the coefficient of cheese, thus rendering the proof inaccurate.

14. Toto'sDad

That's interesting but studies have shown 9 out of 10 dogs will eat a cat sausage that old Felix left behind.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

No, it’s not cheese, it’s American Processed sandwich cheese slices. It might be the greatest gift to scrambled eggs since the chicken. It’s not a cheese at all but a mixture of whey etc that produces great scrambled eggs. The real cheese follows as a topping like salsa, various spices & other condiments.

I don’t expect anybody to believe this unless they were also served a plate of perfect scrambled eggs by a 90 year old waiter in a basement breakfast room in a little London Grosvener hotel in 1987, then searched for years to duplicate them. And perfect scrambled eggs are a great start to the day, no matter what you do next.

thunderbyrd and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stubee and David Barnett like this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I like the sausage in McDonald’s breakfast burritos.

18. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Browned 80/20 ground hamburger meat (pour off grease) seasoned with granulated garlic and granulation onion along with Cajun spices. Also, definitely, sour cream and freshly/finely chopped green onions in the Burrito as well !! Enjoy!

19. Toto'sDad

I like cheese eggs, with the stuff you're talking about. I like it scrambled in, I also like a fried eggs in a sandwich, sausage of about any kind, with a slice of processed cheese on top of it. We buy it at Costco, and put it on a lot of different things. Alex likes it too. I like it with salami and Ritz crackers too. I especially like the Roasted Vegetable version of Ritz crackers, one of the greatest inventions of all time by, and for man! (who likes snacks)

Stubee and haggardfan1 like this.
  20. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

You guys are making way too much out of it. If you can buy fresh salsa (I don't know what you can or can't get outside CA), then all you do is scramble up some eggs, heat up a tortilla, and put some salsa on it and wrap it up. You can also include refried beans, avocado slices and fried potatoes.

Simplicity is best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.