the breakfast burrito problem

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Sep 13, 2021.

1. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

You lost me at "cheese". Cheese in the burrito, sure. Cheese in the eggs = rubber.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Tomatoes in the AM. No bueno. All day reflux. Nooooooooo

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You guys having trouble with beans ... tomatoes ... (thumps belly) ... all is grist for muh mill!

drlucky, Timbresmith1 and Manual Slim like this.
  4. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Is ful mudammas a breakfast dish? Didn't know.

I'll have a Ful(l) English if we're branching out. Apart from my local fare, no other breakfast gets near a Full English for me.

5. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

You can buy frozen peppers and onions that are already sliced up. They sometimes label them as fajita veggies or whatever, but they don't have any spices or anything added. We like to keep a bag in the fridge to throw in with omelettes, scrambled eggs, quick spaghetti sauce, whatever.

6. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

Say what?

buster poser likes this.
  7. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

So to make things easier, its about the order of cooking the ingredients and when. Imo the better way is a 2 pan method. One small cast iron skillet for the scrabbled eggs. The other for all the other things.

Order, thinly slice and dice a potato, fry in a bit of oil at relatively high heat til browned, crispy or whatever.

While potatoes are cooking, chop onion, peppers, tomatoes, grate cheese and etc. Be mindful that depending on the size of the chop will depend on how fast or slow things will cook.

When potatoes are almost done, turn down heat and add the meat...raw or leftovers.

When meat is done to your specs, toss in the onion, peppers, mushrooms and your spices and garlic. Continue to stir and saute' for 3-5 minutes depending on how well you like the veggies cooked. Turn off the heat on the skillet. And add cheese, tomatoes and things like cilantro, spinach, arugula etc. and gently mix/fold in.

In the other pan start up the eggs according to Stubee's directions. When the eggs are about 1/2 way done, turn off the heat...the heat of the cast iron skillet will finish the eggs.

Then heat up the tortillas, I have gas so just put them on the burner and flip several times...maybe 5-10 seconds on each side...again several times.

Plate it up, if you want sauce, have it warmed up...or cold and dump it over. Add more things like sour cream, green onions, more cheese, guacamole or whatever.

It takes me about 15 minutes including prep and cook time...

"Hey little lady/WOMAN"...depending on my mood and her behavior..."its time to eat"

8. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

If a burrito is messy, it may be pilot error. Too much filling, or most likely, not rolled correctly.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I used to hang around with some Basque people and go with them when they were castrating lambs and hold them while they castrated the lambs in the tradition of Basque Sheepherders. (the lambs not the sheepherders) One morning out west of McKittrick CA after the work we had breakfast in a 100 year old adobe building where the sheep herder lived when he wasn't with his sheep, I simply cannot tell you how that felt eating where people who had lived long ago often gathered to eat, just as we were doing.

The Bosco omelet is not unlike something in the way of a Mexican breakfast. It is made from potatoes, scrambled eggs, onions, Bosco sausage and Ortega chilis folded into the mix as its cooking. Bosco sausage is made from freshly killed hogs, highly seasoned using the intestines as the sausage skin. When the Bosco is finished butchering an animal, only the squeal is left. Usually eaten with homemade tortillas, which the Basque happily use without regard to who invented them. A leather bag sits in the middle of the table filled with homemade wine, you take up the bag, lean back your head and squirt the wine through a little nozzle into your mouth without touching your lips to the container.

As I write this I look back on a very satisfying time in my life when my wife was young and beautiful, my kids had their lives in front of them, and we enjoyed the company of some of the finest, realist people I have ever known.

drlucky likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I could eat one of momma's burritos riding a bicycle and not spill a drop!

haggardfan1 and buster poser like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

When we went to the coast a few weeks ago, momma made up a huge batch of breakfast burritos to take with us. We scarfed those babies down so good, there weren't any left to bring home!

drlucky and buster poser like this.
  12. buster poser

Same reaction, but I don't know south Texas very well. Empanada maybe? Falafel? I've had a few varieties, but never one that was deep fried or filled with just beans. Closest fried thing to a burrito I can think of is a chimichanga, but again... always primarily meat filled.

fjblair likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Good grief man, you wouldn't last a week in California. Breakfast burritos are a way of life here. I like a sit down breakfast as much as the next guy, but a burrito is where it's at! You can drive, ride a bicycle, putt one handed, and do any number of things while you're gobbling down a burrito! You really should get out more!

drlucky and Manual Slim like this.
  14. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

It was in the first post - "as good as McDonald's"

koen likes this.
  15. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The tortilla prep is crucial! Maybe this has been covered already, but I find it's best to steam/microwave the tortilla to make it pliable for burrito rolling. You want thin tortillas, Mission and most big-box brands are too thick and bready. I wish I knew what kind to recommend, I don't make burritos at home very often for this reason.

Once you have a good tight wrap on that thang you can put it on a skillet to "sear" it all together a bit like a panini, but you don't wanna "toast" the tortilla on a skillet or open flame before you wrap otherwise it will just crack and fall apart, or worse yet the ends won't be agreeable and you'll end up with a huge enchilada...

When I worked at a burrito shop in college the tortillas were all made from scratch, we put the dough balls in the heated press then onto the giant rotating skillet thingy. After that we'd stack them so they steamed themselves... that was one tasty job and a hell of a fun summer!

16. buster poser

Sorry but that's inaccurate. Meat and chile etc in a tortilla ("burritos") dates back to the Pueblo people at least, and likely to the Mayans prior to that. Also... flour tortillas are "gringo?" LOL, I'll make sure I tell everyone here to stop what they're doing.

drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Okay, I can buy that, but did you know that tortilla chips actually come from a tiny buffalo that lives in the mountains just north of Los Angeles? Crews of Hispanics wearing the traditional garb of the Mexican field worker, white pantaloons, and shirts with straw sombreros and open toed sandals can be seen late in the evening gathering the buffalo chips into straw baskets which have dried during the day in the warm California sunshine. Marketing people knew that people even though they will buy buffalo wings, would probably never buy buffalo chips to eat, so they named them Tortilla Chips.

Hamstein and Manual Slim like this.
  18. buster poser

I did know that, what's less widely known is that the original buffalo had to be bred smaller over a period of three centuries because the first chips were much too large to fit in the field workers' mouths.

Hamstein, Manual Slim and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Idk who said "add chorizo" but we can be friends. I love that stuff!

MisterZ likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Now I did not know that, you're kind of like Huell Houser guiding people on their way to somewhat obscure but important facts!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.