the breakfast burrito problem

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
The one I made this morning: Bacon, Crispy Crowns*, Pepper Jack Cheese, Eggs, Hot sauce, salt and pepper.

I cook the bacon and crowns together first in a cast iron skillet, then cook the eggs in the bacon fat. Then wrap it all up in a tortilla with the cheese, hot sauce, and some salt and pepper.

Lastly - 'toast' the wrapped tortilla in the skillet.

(*Sometimes I will sub tater tots for crispy crowns, but when I do I 'smash' them - they roll up in the tortilla more easily when they are flat).

Last edited:

pope858

TDPRI Member
I'm sorry, but I don't think you can make a breakfast (or any other kind of Burrito) without green chili! I miss the burrito vendors in Downtown Denver since I've retired and moved out of the city. I ate a potato, egg and cheese burrito almost every day for 18 years. I can get good green chili here in Pueblo County and I usually have some sitting in the refrigerator to smother my egg, potatoes and sausage breakfast creations. Otherwise, it's a trip to the golf course for one of their burritos and a side of chili verde, to make it complete!

100_4134.JPG

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm sorry, but I don't think you can make a breakfast (or any other kind of Burrito) without green chili! I miss the burrito vendors in Downtown Denver since I've retired and moved out of the city. I ate a potato, egg and cheese burrito almost every day for 18 years. I can get good green chili here in Pueblo County and I usually have some sitting in the refrigerator to smother my egg, potatoes and sausage breakfast creations. Otherwise, it's a trip to the golf course for one of their burritos and a side of chili verde, to make it complete!

View attachment 898710
That's what I'm talkin' bout!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
To me, the breakfast burrito problem is the idea of a breakfast burrito. Anything you can put inside a burrito is better outside. Learn to make an omelette. Have an over easy ehh on top of a stack of buttermilk pancakes. Have your eggs and bacon with an English muffin or sourdough toast. If you want a Mexican flavor, be sure to release the flavor from your spices in the skillet first. Then cook the filling in the spices. Transfer the mix to a dish, wipe out the skillet, and pour in the eggs. Add the cooked filling before the eggs are fully set and add cheese that you’ve grated or shredded beforehand, if desired. Roll it into a tube and call it a burrito-esque if you must.

Tacos are small for a reason. It makes them easy to hold and harder to overfill. A burrito is an American invention. It’s too big and sloppy and it leaves stains over the front of your shirt.

Simple is better. Learn to make a good omelette as a weekend treat.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Sorry for the late entry, I was hung up on thinking of anything... ANYTHING you could make that resembled a breakfast burrito that wouldnt make you want to throw the bag back at the drive thru.
Seriously.

Many good suggestions here.
Dont over think it.

TDPRI John would just make some filling resembling a western omelete, except scramble the eggs, and roll it in a fresh tortilla. Boom!

McDonalds indeed.
I am ashamed to be even distantly associated with you... :confused:

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Around here burritos are those little deep fried things with beans in them.
This morning I shredded up some left over brisket with a fork and threw it in a pan with a little butter in it.
Then I pour in my scrambled egg mixture and cook until the eggs are done.
I just toast my tortillas on the electric burner. It has those coil shaped burn marks but that ok.
I call this machado but it isn't really that either.
Hot sauce de jour and I usually eat while I drive to work.
Maybe not too heart healthy but pretty filling.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
The first thing to learn is how to do perfect scrambled eggs. You just need butter melted into a pan then eggs added on ML heat until they just start to cook. Don’t add water or milk unless you want a crepe-type fluffy egg and you don’t want that for great scrambled eggs. Instead add 1 piece of American processed sandwich cheese—trust me—per each two eggs and as the eggs start to cook softly stir them with a spatula to blend the cheese in, then remove from heat just before done. You don’t want the eggs cooked past “just done”.

For breakfast burritos simply add onion, peppers of choice and spices right when you add the sandwich cheese. Serve in tortillas with shedded cheddar or jack cheese folded in with a nice salsa. It’s easy.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Having slept through Spanish lessons in the 8th grade, I was under some illusion that burritos were made of little donkeys. Mrs D's friend Itxle from Mexico City put me straight, and said they were named after the bedroll on the back of a little donkey. She went on to say they weren't real Mexican food; they were border town stuff for Gringos.
They were invented in the California fields as a way to get Mexican food to laborers in a sandwich equivalent/convenient way. The flour tortilla is the mark of a lot of Gringo-Mexican food. There has been plenty of other innovation in Mexican food north of the border too, Mexican food isn’t considered “foreign” in the border states.