The Boss says things are getting out of hand...

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
5A1BCC2C-5F1E-474A-8E6F-8E20C041759B.jpeg

Running out of space currently. The DS2 and Phaser aren’t really my sound but I’ll keep them around for fun. I used to be a cable to amp guy and recently discovered the magic of effects again. Less is more has been my approach but things have gotten out of hand as of late. I at least don’t consider a tuner and noise gate an effect but I’ll be damned if they don’t take up the same space on the board.

Who else tries to walk the line between simple pedal chain and having all the effects you want?

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m asking seriously, not sarcastically.
Would a quality multi effects processor be better at this point?
That’s a lot of patch cables etc...between the guitar and the amp.
Probably wind up with more options for less money.
I think I see at least $1k sitting there.
Especially if you are primarily satisfied with the same brand.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

I greatly prefer Boss multi-effector devices, like the ME50, 70 or 80, when I need to stomp on something.
Everyone I know with more than 3 pedals has some kind of hassle with them.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's

I started out with a few different muti-effects pedals. They helped my learn what effects I would be likely to use, but being a luddite I found them often difficult to program, and/or switch effects quickly. I also found myself playing with knobs and menus too much.

I eventually realized that I was only using a handful of effects, and that I would better off with individual pedals. I often use none of them, or just a handful for specific needs.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
While I don't think that Boss are the best sounding pedals out there, they're built like tanks and they work. I'm using a Boss GT-100 now, and while it's far from perfect, I can get close to any sound I want in a pedal that's programmable, and I don't need anything else. I would upgrade to a GT-1000 if I could justify the expediture.

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
Curious about the noise gate.. are the boss pedals causing the noise?

The noise is from my Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound equipped tele when I use high gain. My humbucker guitar has little issue with noise. The QP bridge is wound to 17.3k so it’s basically a HAM radio antenna.

I don’t really use that many effects overall but I do like to swap them around for fun sometimes. The tuner and noise gate are non-effects but I really only need the Overdrive. I typically run Overdrive, Tremolo, Chorus. I’m going to be putting a delay in there and the MO2 will stay.

There’s certain sounds and inspiration I can get from the individual pedals that a multi-effects unit doesn’t have.

I started out with a few different muti-effects pedals. They helped my learn what effects I would be likely to use, but being a luddite I found them often difficult to program, and/or switch effects quickly. I also found myself playing with knobs and menus too much.

I eventually realized that I was only using a handful of effects, and that I would better off with individual pedals. I often use none of them, or just a handful for specific needs.

I’m in the same boat. I’ve used processors but it’s a bit complex to tinker with on the fly. I like the raw sound pedals can get plus there are some special ones that can’t be squeezed into a processor.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
View attachment 838428
Running out of space currently. The DS2 and Phaser aren’t really my sound but I’ll keep them around for fun. I used to be a cable to amp guy and recently discovered the magic of effects again. Less is more has been my approach but things have gotten out of hand as of late. I at least don’t consider a tuner and noise gate an effect but I’ll be damned if they don’t take up the same space on the board.

Who else tries to walk the line between simple pedal chain and having all the effects you want?
I have a real love/hate relationship with pedals. Most of the time on gigs I have nothing going but guitar and amp.....but since all I play are covers, there are times I HAVE to (to be faithful to the song) use an effect or two. I have culled my board down to a Mosaic 12-String Emulator, a Mosky Silver Horse (Klon-klone) and tremolo, chorus, and fuzz pedals. The twelve string one is what gets used the most.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 838428

Excuse me please I have my boss noise gate set into input to send, noisy stuff, then back into the return of the noise gate, then turn on on and adjusted here's the manual for the noise gate
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/NS-2_e01_W.pdf

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
What I have the most trouble with is convincing myself something is or isn’t necessary, how much stuff should I lug out, how big the board would be.

There are tons of things I use in the studio for specific applications and I entertain putting them on my board but I have to question myself, realistically how much use is something going to get? One song? One passage in a 30 minute set? That always seems like a waste to me, and kind of overloads me in the heat of the moment. I try to only keep stuff on the board that I would use in every situation and is second nature to use.

Right now I all I have on the board is three fuzzes and a comp for goosing the amp (dirt, dirtier, dirtiest, and broken). That usually does the job in 90% of scenarios. But if I play a heavy gig, I just throw a volume pedal and a super fuzz in my bag. If I do more electronic music, I usually just rely on tabletop equipment or DAW for any digital or synthy type of effects, instead of having them on my board all the time when I don’t need them.

Last edited:

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I greatly prefer Boss multi-effector devices, like the ME50, 70 or 80, when I need to stomp on something.
Everyone I know with more than 3 pedals has some kind of hassle with them.
Ditto here. Plus, too much tap dancing and tweaking between songs. That's too much for a simple mind like mine to deal with.
I use the POD HD400 straight to the board in lieu of an amp, but even if I didn't, it would be a multi-fx pedal for me. You can dial in your presets and navigate to those a whole lot quicker/easier than tweaking individual pedals for each song.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
View attachment 838428

Resistance is futile.
Surrender to the Boss!
View attachment 838484

I love Boss pedals. But man, no BD2?!? The best of them all:)

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
Excuse me please I have my boss noise gate set into input to send, noisy stuff, then back into the return of the noise gate, then turn on on and adjusted here's the manual for the noise gate
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/NS-2_e01_W.pdf

It’s hard to see in the photo but the noise gate is routed that way. The guitar goes into it and a cable runs to the amp. The patch cables to run the loop are hidden under the board:cool:

I've been looking at the multi-overtone, tera echo, and adaptive distortion pedals for a few months now. I rarely see them on pedalboards so two pics of them in the same post is assuring :)

The MO2 is a fun pedal. I recommend it if you’re remotely interested! Nothing quite like it on the market.

The adaptive distortion is no longer made but it has a good sound. It kind of reminds me a DS1 crossed with a Boss Powerstack. The same technology is used in the current DS1X and OD1X. The OD1X is on my board and it’s my personal favorite overdrive. I’ve had the SD1, TS808, and even a Zendrive at one point. The DS1X is pretty great from what I’ve listened to but I don’t need a distortion pedal currently.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s hard to see in the photo but the noise gate is routed that way. The guitar goes into it and a cable runs to the amp. The patch cables to run the loop are hidden under the board:cool:

The MO2 is a fun pedal. I recommend it if you’re remotely interested! Nothing quite like it on the market.

The adaptive distortion is no longer made but it has a good sound. It kind of reminds me a DS1 crossed with a Boss Powerstack. The same technology is used in the current DS1X and OD1X. The OD1X is on my board and it’s my personal favorite overdrive. I’ve had the SD1, TS808, and even a Zendrive at one point. The DS1X is pretty great from what I’ve listened to but I don’t need a distortion pedal currently.

Thanks for the tip.Good lookin' out. I have very modest selection of dirt pedals, mostly for different flavors of contrasting sonic dirty textures of The noise aspects of my interests
"The Smegatones Project"

I am currently using the Strymon Riverside Pedal in conjunction with my Strymon Iridium pedal.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
While I have several dozen pedals, I seldom grab more than four at a time, and seldom use more than two at a time.

I think a couple small boards is the answer. Leave the Mothership at home in the studio and take smaller setups out with you. If you have an OD, I'm sure you have two or three. Same with delay. They're like Tele's, they breed when you're not lookin'.

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
While I have several dozen pedals, I seldom grab more than four at a time, and seldom use more than two at a time.

I think a couple small boards is the answer. Leave the Mothership at home in the studio and take smaller setups out with you. If you have an OD, I'm sure you have two or three. Same with delay. They're like Tele's, they breed when you're not lookin'.

That’s a good idea. I’m probably going to get a Boss brand pedal board and put what I need on there. Making my own custom one is fun but reconfiguring it and cutting zip ties isn’t as fun. Having the little slots and cable junction boxes will be nice.

My final setup will probably be compressor > MO2 > overdrive > tremolo > amp and chorus > delay in the effects loop.