The Boss Multieffects 2022 Thread

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’m looking forward to rep on replacing my old pedalboard in the new year. In order to get a wider variety of sounds than my old 8-stompbox setup, I’ve settled on a Boss MS-3 for my modulation, delay, and “other” effects. I’ll put a assortment of favorite dirt boxes in the loops, and follow the MS-3 with my trusty Stratoblaster clone for when I need “more”.

My first order of business is re-creating done of the sounds from my old board. I figure we should have a thread here where we can trade programming tips, favorite effects settings, patches, etc. There are old threads about the ME-70 and 80, but let’s keep this thread about the current crop of Boss multieffects: GT-1, GT-1000, MS-3.

Here's my first prototype. Everything's held down with foam sticky tape until I decide on a final layout.

P5sfxkJ.png

Last edited:

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Okay, I'll start. I spent an hour today dialing in the MS-3's flanger and chorus effects to sound like my old BF-2 and CE-2 pedals. The flanger took a while, the chorus was a bit easier. "My" flanger sound isn't the peaky up-and-down "Cradle Will Rock" thing, it's the giant, clanging, chorus-on-steroids sound that Andy Summers got out of his Electric Mistress. I got it pretty close, but will tweak it further as the new pedalboard is assembled.

Here are screen shots of my settings for the two effects:

wiCYyQl.jpg

79HhRvJ.jpg

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
I'm game. I've got a GT-1 on my list, but hope to acquire it within the month, so I'll surely be very appreciative of this thread. Thanks for starting it!

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I had a GT-1 for a while. Lot of stuff in a small package. The built-in expression pedal is great. Make sure you buy or make a foot switch for it. The extra two CTRL buttons make it a lot more flexible.

Jazzer2020

TDPRI Member
I had a GT-1 for a while. Lot of stuff in a small package. The built-in expression pedal is great. Make sure you buy or make a foot switch for it. The extra two CTRL buttons make it a lot more flexible.

Thanks for starting this thread Rich.
I am dusting off my GT-1 as we speak and want
to start making use of it again (it has hardly been used).

I am frankly quite surprised that Boss doesn't host its own forums
for its own pedals!!! Anyone know why they don't do this?

Could you please explain what you mean when you say

"The built-in expression pedal is great. Make sure you buy or make a foot switch for it."

Doesn't the pedal just work without the need to switch it on?

The next thing I'd like to do is take a patch and tweak it to my liking.
Are there set steps that one should follow when doing this?

For example I'd like to work on 'Ambient 3'.
Out of the box it's just too thick with ambience.
I'd like to maintain the general sound but thin it out a bit.
Any suggestions on how to go about this methodically?

TIA.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The GT-1 has just three foot switches: UP, DOWN and CTL1. Within each patch, you can program what you want the CTL1 switch to do: switch an effect on and off, change a parameter, tap tempo, etc. It can be programmed to do almost anything that can be adjusted in the GT-1 but it's only one switch, which can be kind of limiting when you're playing.

There is a jack on the back of the GT-1 that allows you to plug in one or two remote foot switches, giving you the capability of switching up to three different functions within a single patch.

Boss sell add-on footswitches but they are pricey. I made my DIY switch (lower left corner of the photo in my original post) from parts I had on hand for next to nothing. As a matter of fact, that foot switch is up for grabs, since my new pedalboard is shaping up and I'm going with a slightly different setup. If anybody wants that switch cheap, let me know. I'll be happy to pass it along to another Boo multi user.

Jazzer2020

TDPRI Member
There is a jack on the back of the GT-1 that allows you to plug in one or two remote foot switches, giving you the capability of switching up to three different functions within a single patch.

Boss sell add-on footswitches but they are pricey. I made my DIY switch (lower left corner of the photo in my original post) from parts I had on hand for next to nothing. As a matter of fact, that foot switch is up for grabs, since my new pedalboard is shaping up and I'm going with a slightly different setup. If anybody wants that switch cheap, let me know. I'll be happy to pass it along to another Boo multi user.

OK I get what you are saying now.
It sounded like the 'expression pedal' needed to be switched on before it would work.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I added a cool feature to my MS-3 expression pedal setup today. I got the idea from this YT video:

Since I use an old Cry Baby shell for my expression pedal, I took the idea one step further. I put a momentary stomp switch in place of the original push on/push off. Then I wired it so the treadle sweeps from 0 - 98% and pushing hard on the switch kicks it up to 100%. Then using the "Assign" function shown in the video, I programmed the MS-3 to switch the wah effect on and off. Now, the expression pedal works like a traditional wah pedal. There's no need to click a separate switch to turn it on, and then move to the pedal to make it wah.

Here's the "finished" board.

d3xuPbx.jpg

The red & blue buttons are connected to CTL 1 & 2 and the expression pedal to EXP2. I'm hoping they (together with the helpful CURR NUM function) will give me enough real-time control to approximate a whole pedalboard with each patch, without the need to switch to stomp mode.

I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of what the MS-3 can do. Still have Loop 3, the control outputs, and MIDI that I'm not even using.

Last edited:

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Okay, so "finished" was a bit premature. I added a couple LEDs to the deck, connected to the MS-3's control output 1&2. Now I can program the MS-3 to indicate the states of whatever I'm controlling with the two giant stomp switches.

I also swapped out the Ripped Speaker in favor of my DIY Big Muff. The Ripped Speaker a is great-sounding fuzz, but it's unpredictable and depends a lot on what's in front of it. It didn't play nice in the loop of the MS-3. The BMP on the other hand, sounds like a Muff no matter what.
i7PJDzN.jpg

I'm getting into setting up sounds and organizing them in a usable (and remember-able) way. At present, I'm mostly trying to mimic my old stomp boxes, though my eventual goal is to have a wider variety of effects than my old 9-pedal board provided. I'm still trying to figure out whether to set up patches per song and use the CTL and EXP to switch effects off and on, or to use multiple patches for each song and changing sounds by switching patches. So, far, the former is providing me enough control, though I'm tap dancing a bit, which the MS-3 was really designed to avoid.

One thing I've realized about Boss multieffects in general is their tendency toward generic but highly tweakable effects. Where other manufacturers might have models for a Phase 90 and a Small Stone and an A/DA, Boss just have "Phaser" with a bunch of parameters for # of stages, feedback, depth, mix, etc. It makes it a lot harder to dial in industry-standard pedal sounds, but I get it... Boss are an industry leader, proud of their history, and don't want to simply imitate competitors' effects. Boss are their own thing.

However, I'd like to get some of those standard sounds programmed quickly, so if you have some favorite settings, please share. Not so much entire patches, but individual effects settings for standard stuff like phaser, chorus, flanger, reverb. I'll start posting some of mine as I get them dialed in.

Boss MFX Users Unite!

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Does a GP-10 count? If so I have just joined the club. Although I will use it with the GK-3 for some modelling and (dare I say it) guitar synth sounds it will also be used mostly as a straight multi-effect. Pics will follow...

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Does a GP-10 count? If so I have just joined the club. Although I will use it with the GK-3 for some modelling and (dare I say it) guitar synth sounds it will also be used mostly as a straight multi-effect. Pics will follow...
FC7831B6-9F50-435B-8E99-C47AC6D2BF68.jpeg

Here is my pedalboard now with a boss GP-10 as the main attraction. The yellow switch box to the side is a Bright Onion Pedals box providing CTL3/4 for the GP-10. The Vox duo footswitch is switching reverb and chorus on the JC-40.
The GP-10 is mostly used with my two GK-3-equipped guitars but there are patches set up for clean, crunchy and crunchier patches for straight guitar. Generally all the patches are set up so CTL1 is the Solo setting (more gain / volume / delay), CTL2 is modulation on / off (usually Tremolo because the JC-40 provides chorus), CTL3 is delay on / off and CTL4 is tap tempo. The expression pedal is volume or wah, usually, but I would like to find some more interesting things to do with it instead of wah.

Last edited:

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Watching the thread... thanks for starting it. I'm interested in the new GT 1000, but not sure I can justify it yet. It has a stomp box l8ke mode that should be cl8ser to how I like to work in a live setting.

MelvonBerum

TDPRI Member
I have a GT 100 that I would like program some of the channels in a basic configuration. Say, one channel for just reverb, one to play with compression, etc. I am unfamiliar with what these really do and would like to play with my different guitars in these basic configurations. Kind of a control for each of the basic effects.

duzie

Tele-Holic
I have a GT 100 that I would like program some of the channels in a basic configuration. Say, one channel for just reverb, one to play with compression, etc. I am unfamiliar with what these really do and would like to play with my different guitars in these basic configurations. Kind of a control for each of the basic effects.
You could set up a base tone then use manual mode to switch off and on the effects as needed .

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
Last year I went to buy my first bass pedal (an octavizer) and ended up with the GT-1B processor instead. Used the presets for awhile, started playing guitar through it. Tried a GT-1 (for guitar) and returned it. I liked the GT-1B better for both guitar and bass.

Recently began delving in a little deeper. Overwrote user patches with parameters for lead and rhythm guitar, picked up an old Kustom dual foot switch (it's mechanical latching) for CTL2 and CTL3. Have integrated them.

Playing a lot more guitar now and shooting to perform solo ASAP, so I'm getting more comfortable with using the looper section which i believe has 33 seconds and overdubbing.

As a solo artist I'm still not sure how everything will pan out, but I have the GT-1B, Logic Pro, and Mainstage for some backing. I'm certain i'll be using my own backtracks for bass, rythym, lead/harmony vocals and guitar, etc. I'm going to start with what I have and see what works best, where it goes from here.

As far as equipment it's a rabbit hole and I don't like rabbit holes. I'd like to have a looper that would permanently store backtracks that I create but I'm sticking to what I have for now.

Trying to concentrate and spend most of my time practicing my tunes, not reading a manual...i know i can be out performing if I concentrate on that over the tech stuff. Hopefully both will come together soon...

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm using a BOSS GT-1 as a multi effects for my Pedal Steel, and it doubles as a backup rig for my Helix - should the Helix ever fail at a gig. It's a very usable/rugged little unit & I've got the FS-6 double footswitch to expand it's live capabilities.

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
I'm using a BOSS GT-1 as a multi effects for my Pedal Steel, and it doubles as a backup rig for my Helix - should the Helix ever fail at a gig. It's a very usable/rugged little unit & I've got the FS-6 double footswitch to expand it's live capabilities.
The first song I modeled the GT-1B for was "SPECIAL" by Radiohead, last week. I was pretty amazed at how close it was, and how little time it took. Just the right settings mostly on tremolo.

Last night I hooked up a looper pedal and the USB PC, and just ran wild. Fiddled with anything on it.

Why does it seem like soo many effects are Tinny, or too much treble. annoying ? Do I just need to keep tweaking, or are there one or 2 major settings ? Or maybe because it's designed more for Bass than Guitar ? (I'm using it for guitar)

I know there are several guitar heads on there and I do sometimes use them. It just seems like it's super easy to get crap out, better clean clear sounds,not so much, it takes more work...

It's probably been too long since I picked up the manual, or voice list, or watched a simple youtube video....

I know if I learn something and run right to it not too much problem. but I've had my hands in several new tech pots lately

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Why does it seem like soo many effects are Tinny, or too much treble. annoying ? Do I just need to keep tweaking, or are there one or 2 major settings ? Or maybe because it's designed more for Bass than Guitar ? (I'm using it for guitar)

I don't think it matters that it's the bass model...

The output select has a lot to do with the overall tone of the unit. You can choose whether you are plugging into the font of an amp, a power amp, direct, etc... etc... However, I've found that choosing the "obvious mode" for output select isn't always the best choice. If you find the unit tinny sounding, find an output mode that is softer.... less harsh, then work with that for a while.

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
I don't think it matters that it's the bass model...

The output select has a lot to do with the overall tone of the unit. You can choose whether you are plugging into the font of an amp, a power amp, direct, etc... etc... However, I've found that choosing the "obvious mode" for output select isn't always the best choice. If you find the unit tinny sounding, find an output mode that is softer.... less harsh, then work with that for a while.
Makes Sense, Thank You !!!! (I had a suspicion It was just one, maybe two major things.)