The BOSS DS-1

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
He had an old Aria strat his brother left him..... and it sounded beautiful.... the bridge pu was worthy....

his dad asked me to shop for a better amp and I got him a Peavey Envoy cheap off a friend... with the DS-1 is was a gorgeous sound... just changed the sound of the band..

the kid learnt something about rock that day...... and he got it....:cool:

havlma1

Tele-Meister
I like BOSS drive pedals, especially SD-1 and DS-1 in their many variants.. I usually use them into clean amp. My current favorite is 1981 SD-1 with NEC C4558C chip and Yellow-stripe diodes. Contrary to other SD-1s or SD-1w it sounds full with bridge pickup and not muddy with the neck pickup. Great combination. I also like 1981 DS-1 with TA7136AP chip, its sound is bit more "overdrivy" then the regular DS-1.

full

funkysoul

Tele-Holic
He had an old Aria strat his brother left him..... and it sounded beautiful.... the bridge pu was worthy....

his dad asked me to shop for a better amp and I got him a Peavey Envoy cheap off a friend... with the DS-1 is was a gorgeous sound... just changed the sound of the band..

the kid learnt something about rock that day...... and he got it....:cool:

You did great job there.....

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
DS-1 was my first pedal, and I'll keep it forever. It comes and goes from my pedalboard depending on my mood. I like the way it stacks with my Red Lllama 25th; just a HUGE wash of glorious gain through my Princeton Reverb. Now I can't wait to get off work and go play!

3rdworlder

TDPRI Member
Not too long ago CF Turner told me Bachman-Turner Overdrive's guitar virtuoso Blair Thornton uses the DS-1. I got me one after that :)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
And here is Joe Satriani on the Jagger tour.. Strat into a DS1 into a Marshall..

(Some terrible 80s posturing by all and sundry here)

I kinda love Joe S.'s playing here!
That fuzzy bite, plus I've never seen him playing a real Stratocaster

( his playing style, while always aware of, and he's really amazing, just not something I listen too much of)

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I was given one in some sort of weird trade that I can’t remember the circumstances of…I liked it, but my drummer LOVED it, so I gave it to him for his semi-regular guitar excursions…were both happy.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
Had the Keeley modded into a clean Princeton and couldn’t get rid of it fast enough.

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
And here is Joe Satriani on the Jagger tour.. Strat into a DS1 into a Marshall..

(Some terrible 80s posturing by all and sundry here)

Pardon the hijack...

Hilarious on so many levels.

And sweetly ironic that most of the songs are Jagger/Richards numbers.

:rolleyes:

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Pardon the hijack...

Hilarious on so many levels.

And sweetly ironic that most of the songs are Jagger/Richards numbers.

:rolleyes:

It's hard to watch!

Edit: just noticed that around 55min mark they throw in some footage of the "secret" warmup show they did in a little venue, the Kardomah Kafe. That would have been good to be at, less razzle dazzle, more real grit

Last edited:

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
It's hard to watch!

Edit: just noticed that around 55min mark they throw in some footage of the "secret" warmup show they did in a little venue, the Kardomah Kafe. That would have been good to be at, less razzle dazzle, more real grit

I remember that night as I was hosting a bucks night in the cross and I said hey why don’t we go to the kardomah cafe. And they all said ‘no we want to go home’. Went home. Turned in the radio and the dj said ‘just got back from the kardomah where the MICK jagger band out on one of the best shows I’ve seen ‘.

Last edited:

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I remember that night as I was hosting a bucks night in the cross and I said hey why don’t we go to the kardomah cafe. And they all said ‘no we want to go home’. Went home. Turned in the radio and the dj said ‘just got back from the kardomah where the MICK jagger band out on one of the nest shows I’ve seen ‘.

Don't you hate that!

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
I keep wanting to pick a DS-1 up. I guess because it has that beautiful and all to familiar "orange" look.
But my SD-1 gives me way more gain than I will ever use, so I stick to that.
If I ever come across one cheap used around here, I'll probably grab it, but I can't justify buying a new one just because I want it. I try to only buy gear I have a need for.