The boring story of my name.

Otisblove

Tele-Meister
Hi there! My name is Jeff Fine. I’m from Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. I’m 46 magical years old.

When I was 18 or 19, I spent many hours coming up with a “stage name.” I settled on Otis B. Love. My friends liked it, my band mates liked it, my girlfriend (now wife of almost 20 years) was fine with it. Even my parents were okay with it.

At that time, the cost of getting a legal name change was beyond my means, so it stayed a stage name. My friends and coworkers began calling me Otis.

Flash forward 7 years. I decided I probably wasn’t going to make it in the music business and headed to Chicago to take classes at Second City.

First day of classes I was struggling with what to have people call me. I decided I would go by my real name, Jeff Fine. We went around the room introducing ourselves. The guy before me said his name was Jeff. I thought, okay, I’ll say I’m Jeff from Indiana. Then Jeff said he was from Indiana. That sealed it. I told everyone my name was Otis. Otis Fine.

So now I’m up to THREE names.

I improvised and acted for the next 20 years under the “new” stage name Otis Fine. In the last few years I got back into writing and recording my music. This year I put out my first album under the name Otis B. Love. You can check it out everywhere music is sold digitally.

When I joined TDPRI a few years ago, I did so as Otis Fine. A couple threads today inspired me to change my name on here. So that’s the tedious story of my name/s. Good to be here!

Last edited:

Crafty Fox

Tele-Afflicted
Hi there! My name is Jeff Fine. I’m from Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. I’m 46 magical years old.

When I was 18 or 19, I spent many hours coming up with a “stage name.” I settled on Otis B. Love. My friends liked it, my band mates liked it, my girlfriend (now wife of almost 20 years) was fine with it. Even my parents were okay with it.

At that time, the cost of getting a legal name change was beyond my means, so it stayed a stage name. My friends and coworkers began calling me Otis.

Flash forward 7 years. I decided I probably wasn’t going to make it in the music business and headed to Chicago to take classes at Second City.

First day of classes I was struggling with what to have people call me. I decided I would go by my real name, Jeff Fine. We went around the room introducing ourselves. The guy before me said his name was Jeff. I thought, okay, I’ll say I’m Jeff from Indiana. Then Jeff said he was from Indiana. That sealed it. I told everyone my name was Otis. Otis Fine.

So now I’m up to THREE names.

I improvised and acted for the next 20 years under the “new” stage name Otis Fine. In the last few years I got back into writing and recording my music. This year I put out my first album under the name Otis B. Love. You can check it out everywhere music is sold digitally.

When I joined TDPRI a few years ago, I did so as Otis Fine. A couple threads today inspired me to change my name on here. So that’s the tedious story of my name/s. Good to be here!

I'm still waiting for the 'boring' part of the story.:rolleyes:

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I pick up nicknames like flies to fly paper. I had to introduce myself by my first name, middle name (everyone that knew me before age 10) and various nicknames (during my adulthood) while conducting my mom’s eulogy, so that everyone knew what name I went by depending on when they knew me. It was a good chuckle to lighten the ambiance.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
When I was 14 in 1967, I came up with Blind Lemon Fritts. A Chicago blues singer thought I should definitely use it.

This was quite a few years before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon of disrespectful jokers.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Recce is a takeoff of my first name and defines a reconnaissance aircraft. I worked a proposal and contract for a reconnaissance aircraft. Nicknames have never stuck with me. I liked that one.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
My name refers to the well bastardized 1964 Tele that was my #1 for twenty years.
Finish stripped from body, pickguard carved out for Bill Lawrence Fat Strat in the neck position,
Fender spaghetti logo on peghead filled in with black marker (not by me).
I finished the job by putting mini Schallers on it and six saddle bridge and an SD Broadcaster in the bridge position. Changed back to three saddle later on.
Had a great neck on it, though...:rolleyes:
20180331_081802-jpg.504580

Last edited:

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Notice Otis, as we used to say on Dead tour.

I was amused when you mentioned that your girlfriend was fine with it then, when it seems that she is Fine with it now.

Welcome. Thanks for the story.