1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the blues, and the different ways of playing it.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

OK.
    Pre war and post war blues.

57fenderstrat and johnny k like this.
  2. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

If you're looking for some sense of roots, or an idea where blues got some of its influences, you may want to check out Ali Farka Touré from Mali:

trev333 and johnny k like this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

Not even close. Wikipedia lists 25 different Blues genres, and it doesn't even mention Jazz Blues. And being from Carolina, Piedmont Blues.

teletimetx likes this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Its Wikipedia - rewrite it.

Frodebro likes this.
  5. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

A wise jazz musician once said, "if you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."

BB and Albert came from the same region as Muddy, Wolf, and all the acoustic players. There is no clean or dirty. The trick is to play and play (and play some more) until YOU begin to come out of your instrument. The life you live is reflected in this.

If you are a bluegrass or a blues guy (or whatever), then eating breakfast is just as much bluegrass or blues as your playing.

As much as I love books, no book and no critic can turn your breakfast into the blues. Live and play like a man. The rest is gravy. ;)

6. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Here’s a well written book on blues history in the delta...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0140062238/?tag=tdpri-20

I was going to recommend another book called Looking Up at Down but its out of print. If you can find it used its definitely worthwhile.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Mississippi John Hurt.

Flaneur likes this.
  8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have been playing along with field hollers. The ones I've heard are strongly minor pent-based in melodic structure. However, a number of our favorite inflection points introduce 2 M3 b5 and 6. I've become accustomed to hearing these notes as add-on colors and emotional pangs.

But the meat and potatoes field holler melodies are the minor pent.

9. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Robert Johnson ? no.
    Son House and Charlie Patton did it before Johnson...

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

"Clean blues" is what everyone started playing, mostly on acoustic guitars, mostly before amplifiers and electric guitars were invented.
    "Dirty blues" is what happened when folks started playing gigs with the first amplifiers. There were lots of people in the audience, and they were not just standing around listening quietly. They may have been consuming adult beverages and dancing.
    The poor guitar players had to turn up those first small amps, which were maybe 15 watts at the most. This resulted in mass quantities of loudness and distortion. There's your dirt. Same music, played louder and lubricated.

Jlwctn likes this.
  11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Watch Ken Burn's Jazz because it covers the evolution of Jazz from European and Roots music. The first episode covers early Delta Blues merging with Minstrel, Ragtime and European classical to form Jazz. It delves into the Blues form.

Early blues was call and answer from the field music and gospel origins. The acoustic instrument was the call and the verses were the answer in Delta blues. As New Orleans and delta musicians moved north, west and east so did the art form which changed as it was added to regional music. Much more complicated than this and well worth reading whatever you can find.

This one is an easy read.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/in-depth-features/history-of-recorded-blues/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    57fenderstrat likes this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

No. but at least i had part of my answers, basaically.

teletimetx likes this.
  13. johnny k

14. johnny k

alright.

So far i have got the blues i like, the blues i don't like, and.

Thanks for the input, i appreciate you and i am going to check everything.

15. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

It depends on whether you are talking about the history of the blues or talking about what lives on at this moment in time.

Over the history of blues, you'll see long lists of different regional subtypes of blues. Some are more original than others but lots of them derive from the Mississippi delta south. Remember that steel string guitars have existed for only a little over 100 years. The history of those pioneering rural blues guitarists are necessarily dependent on that.

Before steel string guitars were a thing, work songs, field hollers and street calls were influences on the vocalizations characteristic of blues. They are pretty interesting to listen to. Work songs are task dependent, meaning that the meter and tempo of the song was dictated by whether the laborors were wielding 1-handed hammers, 2-handed sledgehammers, chopping wood, shimmying railroad tracks etc.

As far as I can tell, today you've got the purists of various historical strains and then the ones who are primarily concerned with satisfying a dance crowd and who also tend to diversify a lot more between genres.

As for the original post, I don't think of BB King as that jazzy of a blues player. I think of the jazzy strain of blues as being more out of the T Bone Walker school. If you wanted to go with bluesy jazz, I'd point to someone like Grant Green. Remember that Bukka White was one of BB Kings relatives. BB had polish that you might not hear on Aberdeen Mississippi Blues by Bukka White but they were speaking a pretty similar language.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    burtf51 and 57fenderstrat like this.
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

great post!

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

doesn't Tom Waits have a line about "old Chuck E Weiss"?

yes, in I Wish I Was In New Orleans

18. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

My ear just calls things a blues when the I hear the IV chord drop , I guess normally on the fifth bar. Since such a huge amount of the music and songs that we love are based on the traditions of blues it’s difficult to name every subcategory or break down the influences.

Something like Steely Dan’s Peg or Footprints from Miles, I just call it a blues once i pick up on the implyed progression.

It’s so diverse

19. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Ditto, it’s awesome and a good idea

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.