The Blackguard Book by Nacho Banos

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yes, I too received such an email this morning. It is officially sold out. But as archetype noted, there is now a new project that is almost at completion called The Pinecaster Book. I probably can't really afford any of them, anyway -- especially now that those who have The Blackguard Book can really jack up the price! Oh well...

If you're on his list of folks who want the book, you'll eventually get an e-mail offering the book at a somewhat lower price. Being ex-book publishing, myself, I get the idea. Recoup your production costs early at a lower sales price, then sell the rest at the regular price.

H. Mac

Friend of Leo's
Does anyone have an idea about how much are Nacho’s Blackguard books are actually going for, assuming one can be found?

I’ve seen them listed on eBay and Reverb for upwards of $500, but I doubt if anyone would pay that much.

Any ideas as to the real street price?

Last edited:

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
"Street price" would only apply to something that is widely available and in current print/manufacture. The Blackguard book is neither, hence the higher price you see when one comes up for sale.

When the Blackguard book came out, I purchased mine from J&K Luthiery for under $100. I think $500 these days is quite high. If someone offered that kind of money for mine, I'd have to think hard on that!

H. Mac

Friend of Leo's
"Street price" would only apply to something that is widely available and in current print/manufacture. The Blackguard book is neither, hence the higher price you see when one comes up for sale.

When the Blackguard book came out, I purchased mine from J&K Luthiery for under $100. I think $500 these days is quite high. If someone offered that kind of money for mine, I'd have to think hard on that!
Thanks, BobbyMac! I bought mine about 12 or so years ago, and used the specs, parts descriptions, etc., as a guide in building a partscaster that’s as close as possible to Blackguard specs. And man - it turned out to be an incredible guitar!

I don’t read it much nowadays, and would like to pass it along to another die-hard Tele lover, but have no realistic idea of its value. I don’t want to rip anyone off.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Color in print is rarely a perfect representation unless it's a color chip of the actual finish.

And the colors of the original guitars swing wildly due to finish formulation, playing and storage conditions, and age.

Whether or not they're perfectly accurate in the Nacho book, it is a pleasure to leaf through and admire the instruments via the oustanding photography.

It's also a wonderful reference.

mrbdxmpl

Tele-Holic
That is Broadcaster 0243, which I bought last year. There is no epic story to it, unfortunately -- it was played very little, and remained in the original owner's possession until 2015, spent a few years with a collector, and then came back to Emerald City Guitars, where I bought it. I'm not a collector or anything fancy -- I just always wanted a Broadcaster, and it thrills me daily to know that I'm the caretaker for this particular example of twentieth century industrial design.

Here's the ECG promo video for it:

Here's me playing it:

Hey man - nice playing - you've certainly earned that beautiful guitar!

lewis

Poster Extraordinaire
That is Broadcaster 0243, which I bought last year. There is no epic story to it, unfortunately -- it was played very little, and remained in the original owner's possession until 2015, spent a few years with a collector, and then came back to Emerald City Guitars, where I bought it. I'm not a collector or anything fancy -- I just always wanted a Broadcaster, and it thrills me daily to know that I'm the caretaker for this particular example of twentieth century industrial design.

Here's the ECG promo video for it:

Here's me playing it:

An amazing instrument, thanks for sharing your good fortune.