The Black Strat went for USD 3,975,000

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, Jun 20, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You are a fine gentleman and charitable with words!

Bruxist likes this.
  2. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Does getting it at a charity auction provide buyer with a tax write off?

nice of David G to donate it all to charity tho,

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

'hey guys, check it out.. D minor.. Wait wait D minor.. All in all you're just a.. Wait.. Nother brick in the.. Hang on.. Wall.
    Cool huh? '

Bruxist likes this.
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

No because the buyer isn't donating anything to charity, they are simply purchasing an item of equivalent value to their "donation." Sometimes at charity auctions, at least some of the ones I've participated in, items are sold for more than their objective value because folks are trying to be generous. For example, a $100 restaurant gift card is auctioned for $150. In that case, you might be able to claim that you made a donation of $50. With a truly one-of-a kind, unique, highly collectable item like DG's Black Strat, the IRS would take the position that it's worth exactly what it sold for at auction.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  5. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

According to the IRS:

Donors who purchase items at a charity auction may claim a charitable contribution deduction for the excess of the purchase price paid for an item over its fair market value. The donor must be able to show, however, that he or she knew that the value of the item was less than the amount paid. For example, a charity may publish a catalog, given to each person who attends an auction, providing a good faith estimate of items that will be available for bidding. Assuming the donor has no reason to doubt the accuracy of the published estimate, if he or she pays more than the published value, the difference between the amount paid and the published value may constitute a charitable contribution deduction.

In Jim's case he would have every reason to doubt the auctions estimates as they didn't take into account David's reputation or previous auction results.

And let's face it Irsay is worth 2.7 billion dollars his purchases are the equivalent of me buying a nice vintage copy of DSTOM

tele12, Sanity Inn and Lawdawg like this.
  6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

He has 2.7 billion dollars. I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to be outbid on the Black Strat.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

What people?
    Plenty of people consider Roger Waters the driving force behind Pink Floyd.

8. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I mean, can only speak from my experience. But almost anyone I've ever spoken to about Floyd even tangentially immediately starts talking about Gilmour by name or referencing his riffing/solos. Waters was certainly the core of PF, but I think Gilmour became more of their outward presence - especially to a broader audience than musicians. Whether that's because it's easier to pick out a guitar riff or have one passively get stuck in your head than it is for the same to happen with a bass line or because of what he brought to their work is a fair point of discussion.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Auctioneer, can you thrown in a set of strings and a setup at that price? Cable, strap, polishing cloth?

Pitch pipe?

Boubou likes this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

i felt the same way for a while, I stopped listening to pink floyd at all for about 20 years. Went back to it about a year ago, and with all the unreleased mixes and early bootlegs available to compare and to recognize how Dark side developed, its still to me an amazing album.

how many things in life are perfect? very few, that album is perfect in every aspect, and that is part of the charm how all the pieces join together to form this thing.

just like pink floyd individually were less than the sum of the whole, and dark side shows what they could do when they all pulled together.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

If I'm not mistaken, the neck, electronics and the body are not original. What a rip off. :)

AAT65 likes this.
  12. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

The Black Strat went for USD 3,975,000 .... Strange to think of the lengths that Roger Waters will go to in his bid to 'own' the band/brand Pink Floyd :lol:

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, that's it. This is going on Ebay tomorrow.
    Hoping to get $3.975H.
    20190622_135808.jpg

Bruxist likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Demented old man TD after witnessing shocking numbers on TDPRI Bad Dog for the sale of a second hand parts caster, and that a Strat to boot, runs outside and shakes his fist at huge iron bird flying overhead. He wonders what has happened to his world, but has just enough remaining braincells to realize his world has vanished.

[​IMG]

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Maybe, but the voice and the sound is David Gilmour. In my humble opinion. ;)

16. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

upload_2019-6-23_14-6-26.jpeg
    See Emily Play... her new black strat.

AAT65 and Bruxist like this.
  17. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

RodeoTex likes this.
  18. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

DG: now that's how you cash your celebrity out. Class act, what a guy!!

Bruxist likes this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Mr G. should have kept all his used strings. Another few million for charity.

20. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

The 21 million dolkars is supposedly going to fund "Charity" to "fight" climate change.

https://www.clientearth.org/usa/
    This is NOT a charity. It is another lame pseudo-environmentalist group, and the "charity": they do apparently mostly consists of nuisance suits against energy companies. Some charity. I'd wager my Tele that they pay THEMSELVES well.
    Better he should buy a Rolls .

Thinliner and RodeoTex like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.