The Black Crowes - Papa Was A Rolling Stone

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I have always loved them.

"Papa" as a bit frustrating because I wanted it to launch off at the end. I may have to record my own version, though I do not sing 'soul' at all.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
A true classic from motown deserves a bass player not some guy with a bass.

Vocals are pretty good but everyone else sounds like they missed the groove of that tune.

Recently had a thread on here about what is the "pocket?"

That is pocketless yoga pants imo

Aretha had a band that GROOVED that tune.

Love the Crowes early stuff but they are not doing it for me there at all

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Charlie!

The Black Crowes served as musical guests on Tuesday’s episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live!, offering a cover of The Temptations‘ “Papa Was A Rolling Stone”. The rendition is set to appear on the rock outfit’s upcoming 1972 EP, featuring covers of songs released in 1972.

Playing alongside bandleaders Chris and Rich Robinson was Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Nothin’ against the Black Crowes, but that just don’t quite do it for me. As previously mentioned, it seems… “pocketless”.

I like David Lindley’s cover.

(Side Note: Once, when somewhat tipsy, I went up to a co-worker named Nolan Stone Jr. and said “so does that mean your papa was a Nolan Stone?” I’m not proud of that, it’s just a thing I once did.)

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I love the Black Crowes. Like, really, really love them. But they don't have a groove without Steve Gorman on drums, and I think that was the problem with this track. The original has a bit of funk and swing in the beat, while this one is just a plodding rock beat with imitation high hat added.

I'm seeing them next month, though I have mixed feelings about them even calling it the Black Crowes. Sven Pipien on bass adds a bit more cred for me, but without Steve I really think they should just call it The Robinson Brothers or something.

9 years ago I was able to get a press pass to do photos at an outdoor show. They only gave us 2 songs in the photo pit so the band hadn't even warmed up yet, but I was able to get some good shots.

1651804973883.png

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
Nothin’ against the Black Crowes, but that just don’t quite do it for me. As previously mentioned, it seems… “pocketless”.

Maybe the Kimmel live performance wasn't up to par.
I'm guessing the sound of the album on Anaconda, err... Amazon (I don't use their "service") sounds much better.
can anyone confirm?

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Maybe the Kimmel live performance wasn't up to par.
I'm guessing the sound of the album on Anaconda, err... Amazon (I don't use their "service") sounds much better.
can anyone confirm?

Cam confirm the opposite. They released a video of the song last week. Same stale groove.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Charlie!

The Black Crowes served as musical guests on Tuesday’s episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live!, offering a cover of The Temptations‘ “Papa Was A Rolling Stone”. The rendition is set to appear on the rock outfit’s upcoming 1972 EP, featuring covers of songs released in 1972.

Playing alongside bandleaders Chris and Rich Robinson was Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke.

I thought that was Charlie starr . I didn’t look it up or see a list , so I didn’t know

fendrguitplayr

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They choose some great covers. I always liked their cover
of Otis Redding's "Hard To Handle" a lot.

"Hard to Handle’ failed to take on the same resonance as Redding’s other songs until it was revived by a couple of white boys from Redding’s home state of Georgia: The Black Crowes. Speaking with Howard Stern in 2019, singer Chris Robinson called Redding “the greatest R&B/soul singer that ever was. The cool thing about ‘Hard to Handle’ at the time was that it was a B-side. So it wasn’t like I was singing ‘These Arms of Mine’ or something.”

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
As much as I love the Black Crowes, they are more show than go on that one. I saw them on a Sunday and saw the Stones on Saturday of the same weekend, circa 1998. They are not the same band now, but I still dig them. Steve Gorman is missed.

Last edited: