The big songs that feature a Rickenbacker bass thread.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I remember seeing a picture of the Beatles recording "Rain," with Paul on his new Rickebacker bass. I have always assumed that those resonant bass sounds were indeed played in the Ric, but the YouTube I found are all the same video, a performance video with Paul on his Hofner. The music was either sync'd to the performance, or they were lipsyncing.

Maybe I should have looked for "Paperback Writer," the other side of the 45rpm single.

spellcaster

Tele-Holic
I remember seeing a picture of the Beatles recording "Rain," with Paul on his new Rickebacker bass. I have always assumed that those resonant bass sounds were indeed played in the Ric, but the YouTube I found are all the same video, a performance video with Paul on his Hofner. The music was either sync'd to the performance, or they were lipsyncing.

Maybe I should have looked for "Paperback Writer," the other side of the 45rpm single.
I did a bit of research on "Rain". One of the recording techniques that were used sometimes on old Beatles recording, including Rain, was to record the guitars and bass at high speed in a higher pitch. When the recording was played back at slower speed, returning the instruments to normal pitch, it gave the sound a distinctive quality. (Source: Geoff Emerick's book "Here, There and Everywhere - My life recording music of The Beatles"). In the case of Rain, recording the bass at a higher pitch in order to utilize this effect wasn't practical with the Hofner because the intonation of the bass was problematic at the top end of the fretboard. So, in this case, the Rickenbacker was utilized instead. On "Paperback Writer, which you mentioned, Paul used the Hofner bass, and the gigantic sound of the bass was created by utilizing a 15" speaker as a microphone, placed directly in front of the bass guitar amplifier. In the case of both songs, the promotional videos show Paul playing the Hofner as the band played and lip-synched to the studio recordings.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Speaking of Entwistle...pretty sure he was a couple years ahead of McCartney with the 4001.

Ric started trying to get McCartney to take that bass in early 1964, he turned it down. There were one or two more attempts, McCartney kept saying no. He finally accepted it in late 1965. I think maybe the first times it wasn't clear to him that they were giving it, not trying to sell it to him.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
Silly Love Songs. Sublime bass line from Macca and the Ric sounds great. Apologies if posted already; half the videos on this thread are blocked in Australia!

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Chris and Geddy being major influences, I always wanted, but could never afford a Ric. So I'm having to build one:
20200816_162446.jpg
20210312_181157.jpg

Last edited:

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
For me it will always be Chris Squire/Yes, pick 'em.

Rick330man

Tele-Afflicted

The Jam kicking a little tail performing In the Street Today and Billy Hunt armed with an all Rickenbacker arsenal.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Ric started trying to get McCartney to take that bass in early 1964, he turned it down. There were one or two more attempts, McCartney kept saying no. He finally accepted it in late 1965. I think maybe the first times it wasn't clear to him that they were giving it, not trying to sell it to him.
According to the Beatles gear book, the true reason was that they presented him with a right handed bass at which he basically went "Are you guys SERIOUS?"

And the second time they tried, they again came up with a right handed bass, apparently nobody had given the message that Paul is a south paw.

So third time lucky, they presented Paul with a Lefty bass and this time he accepted it.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Come on that coldplay choon is 22 years old 😅

Here's one that's only 7 years old 😂 beat that!

I just saw this thread title now, and my head went right to Paul, Geddy, and Chris Squire.

The music from Fragile, and this song are just magnificent. What a bass attack and growl on this intro, wow!

To hear practically 'kids' composing THIS music is still mindblowing- when at 63, I'm still playing ( but loving) 12-bar blues!

I could never conceive of music this sophisticated

Edenbridge

TDPRI Member
Jon Camp of Renaissance. Their "Live at Carnegie Hall" album is great for some up-front crunchy Rick playing...

Edenbridge

TDPRI Member
Johan Hogberg of Sweden's ANGLAGARD plays a crunchy Squire-like Rick sound, LEFTY no less!