The big songs that feature a Rickenbacker bass thread.

RoyalBaby

Tele-Afflicted
That's what I meant. Roger plays Rickenbacker in Purples most iconic recording. Trying to be funny and overdramatic....and missed the target...
Ahh...:oops:

A friend of mine owned a 4005 many years ago. Cool bass!

I used to have a Shaftesbury copy of one of those. Could hardly give it away but it’s probably quite hip now if I’d hung onto it.

ScubaGeek

Tele-Meister
I'll add this one. Good instrumental excursion at around 1:50.

I know Geddy is playing a Rick in the video, but I read where he said it's actually a Jazz Bass on the recording. He said he actually used the Jazz Bass a lot on the Moving Pictures album.

Same thing with Chris Squire. He had a bunch of basses that he'd take in the studio with him. He sometimes used a Fender Telecaster bass, Gibson Thunderbird, a Jazz Bass, an Electra bass with the built in effects units, and quite a few others. And on Roundabout, he actually doubled his bass part with one of Steve Howe's hollowbody guitars, so it almost sounds like an 8 string bass. I think he said he did something similar on Owner Of A Lonely Heart, doubling the bass line with a Telecaster.

Lemmy's Rickenbacker, for many years, had a Thunderbird pickup in the neck position. I think it wasn't until sometime in the 90's, when Rickenbacker finally created a Lemmy model bass, where he said "they've finally come up with a decent sounding pickup".

Likewise, I believe Cliff Burton's Rickenbacker also had a replacement pickup on it. At some point, though, he switched to an Aria Pro II bass.

As for Kira Roessler, I imagine the best place to hear her would be DOS, a post-Black Flag duo that she did a couple albums with. It basically her and one other bassist.

ScubaGeek

Tele-Meister
Also, most, if not all of The Atlanta Rhthym Section's music had a Ric as the bass.

The early stuff was mostly a Precision bass, I believe. I remember reading an interview with their bassist where he said he always liked a Rick, but it took him some years to actually follow through and get one. And I also remember a Peavey ad in the early 80's that showed him playing a Peavey bass, but we all know about those "endorsement" ads (not that it actually proves anything, he may have just done the ad because Hartley gave him a free amp or something).

ScubaGeek

Tele-Meister
Yes, John Entwistle used them before Paul but he wasn't the high profile Rock star he'd become yet and would switch to Fenders when The Who started to get famous.

I'm not sure if Entwistle ever used Ricks in the studio. He said once that he intended to use a Danelectro bass on the studio version of My Generation, but kept brekaing strings. He had like three of them, which he had bought because it was the only way you could get roundwound strings in the UK at the time. And they did something like three or four takes, and he broek a string on each one. Finally, he ended up using a Jazz Bass on the final take.

And at least in one of their early appearances on British TV, he used a Gretsch bass, I believe.

There's also a video The Who did for the West Germany TV show Beat Club, where they mimed a bunch of songs from Tommy, that show him playing a 4005, but again, I'm not sure if he ever used it in the studio.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
I think the Rickenbacker 4001 is one of the most beautifully designed instruments of all time. That shape is so wild and unique. Being heavily influenced by Chris Squire and Geddy Lee, I wanted one really bad. When I turned 19 my dad gave me a 4001 for my birthday. It was Fireglo with a mirror pickguard. Sounded great through the tuck ‘n roll Kustom 100 I was using at the time, and even better through the SVT I eventually got a hold of. All are long gone now.

Oh, and Paul Simonon used one for a bit....

Last edited:

ScubaGeek

Tele-Meister
Randy Meisner playing his Ric and singing Take It To The Limit with the Eagles

MTV used to show a live clip of them doing Hotel California, which I think is from th same show: Frey on acoustic 12 string, Felder on Gibson EDS-1275 (customized to run each neck through a separate output), Walsh on Telecaster, and Meisner on 4001.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
I believe that Dougie Thomson used a Rickenbacker 4001 in Fireglo finish on the songs Bloody Well Right and Ain't Nobody But Me by Supertramp.

1643174863915.png

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks I know that track. I like some of their stuff but Chris Martin is just bit annoying. I find that with many bands it’s often the singer that I have a problem with.

Pcs264

Tele-Meister

Can't believe we've gotten to page 3 without this gem from The Smithereens (Mike Masari on the Ric bass here; his custom one with all black finish, black pickguard & logo, & black hardware). Nice bass lines in the choruses and coming out of the break around 3:20.