The big "It sounds like Hair metal but it's not hairy enough" thread.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well a while ago, I did a thread about eighties hard rock bands who weren't hair metal nor were they Thrash or Speedmetal either and I included Vandenberg and Def Leppard. And people went "Those bands are straight into the hair metal category!" which was all down to their looks rather than their sound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that got me thinking. If being a Hair metal band comes down to looks alone, would people consider bands who made songs that are straight out of the hair metal lexicon but don't have the look, still hair metal?

Because Mutt Lange was the producer who among others gave AC/DC and Def Leppard their world beating sound. It was in the early nineties that Lange was employed by a Canadian rocker who needed a big hit album to cement himself in the new decade.

Straight from the get-go, there's the cannon shot drums, the synth riffs and the hoarse vocals which are straight out of the Def Leppard lexicon. If you had guys wearing yellow spandex and poofed up hair in this video it simply would have completed the picture.

Same with the power ballad, Bryan Adams' voice fits the Hair metal sound so well.

"Waking up the neighbors" indeed became the big hit album Adams needed to have firm foothold in the nineties and he achieved it by having a hair metal sound in the time when the hair metal genre itself went extinct.

[​IMG]
    So if Def Leppard was hair metal, would you guys judge Bryan Adams who aped their sound to a T, consider him to be hair metal as well?

Zepfan, Macrogats and Toadtele like this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I tend to think 'hair metal' is more about looks (Plenty of hair and Aqua Net, eye liner, spandex, lots of scarves, dudes in the band prettier than your girlfriend, etc.), and not so much a musical style.

Leppard and Adams play guitar-based rock and roll with the usual Epic Ballad tossed into the mix to satisfy the chix.

3. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

Uhh, no.

The Rolling Stones released "Miss You" - a perfect four-on-the-floor disco tune. No one is ever going to call The Stones a disco band.

Artists can dabble into any genre they want...that doesn't make them that genre. The Beatles "Ob La Di, Ob La Da" is a reggae tune. How many people on Earth call The Beatles a reggae band? None.

So Brian Adams dabbled in some hair metal sounds. That doesn't make him hair metal. We can just say he played a hair metal style tune.

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

I thought Bryan Adams was grunge, oh no wait it was that other Adams guy

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I thought Vandenberg's work before the "Whitesnake" years was awesome, definitely in my top 10 catagory and Def Leppard's Albums before Pyromania were more hard rockin'.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Early Scorpions and MSG were fantastic.

When I think of "Hair Bands", it's mostly those band that do a delicate balance between metal and pop. I.E. Ratt, Winger, Keel, Cinderella, Motley Crue, Pyromania and later Def Lepard, Post Blackout Scorpions and way to many others to mention

7. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

This is kind of a two sides of a coin question and 50% of the people with say bands like Def Leppard were a hair band and others will disagree. Here are my thoughts on the subject. Bands like Def Leppard, AC/DC, Bob Jovi, Ratt, and so many other “rock bands” that were already around before Hair Metal hit the scene in about 1985 or 1986. I first saw Poison in 85 or 86 at a club called Jezabelle’s in Fullerton, Ca. They were my first encounter with a Hair Metal Band. They looked different (big hair, make-up, spandex pants and so on), they sounded different (poppy, catchy, sexual songs). These bands included Poison, Faster ***** Cat, Cinderella,Warrant and others. Motley Crue is an interesting band because they were around before hair metal, but they emerged themselves into that vain. There are many big haired bands that tried to separate themselves from the hair stigma, such as Bon Jovi and Winger. When I think hair metal, I immediately link it to Glam as well, meaning the make-up and clothing...when I see big hair, but the guys are wearing street clothes, little to no make-up, and there songs are more dimensional than sex, drugs, R&R, if consider those bands hard rock. I don’t know anyone who would consider Guns and Roses a hair metal band, but their rise to fame falls into the same timeline. I guess you could say this throughout the history of Rock, as thing and artist often overlap. I remember when Van Halen first came out, if you went to buy their album at a record store, they were categorized as Heavy Metal, but they were no Motörhead or Judas Priest.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Hair metal... not a chance.

Bryan did not copy the Def Leopard sound, he just strayed from his original production values briefly. The common ground is Mutt Lang. Heck, take almost any Shania Twain song and replace the fiddles with guitars - it's still a Def Leopard album!

IMO, Mutt was really good at retaining an artists "sound" during the 80's. AC/DC, Foreigner, The Cars, Billy Ocean, Def Leopard, etc... etc.. they all sounded unique! By the time the 90's rolled around Mutt seemed to get really lazy, and relied on his old bag of tricks for everything. It made a lot of money, but doesn't sit too high on the creative scale.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.