1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the Big Green Egg...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 64Strat, Jun 16, 2014.

1. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Sheeesh! Who's spending $2K on a BGE?? Not me.

2. 64Strat

HA!! :lol: you're going to love it!

3. 64Strat

syf,

Think of it this way... you're front load paying $60/yr, for the BGE grill. I just paid $1200, with a boatload of accessories and tax. Heck, I could'a spent that much on a gas grill! Hope you can get one! You'll never regret it. By the way, the heat deflector for indirect was one of the many accessories I got with mine on the holiday special. You may want to find your local dealer and see if the have a special deal coming up soon.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm mostly a veg-head, but you guys are making my mouth water. Got any chicken recipies?

5. 64Strat

yessir! island chicken, with a tropical mango salsa

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The Weber chimney is far superior to any of the cheaper look-alikes I've tried. Well worth a couple bucks more.

It takes about ten-fifteen minutes from laying the fire to ready to cook. Two sheets of newspaper, no starter fluid.

7. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

All I gotta' say is you're all making me very hungry! :D

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

That's how much they cost up here. For a large, with or without taxes (depending on where you get them), they cost that much. 13% sales tax and inflated prices as soon as a US-made item crosses the boarder, gotta love it.

I paid 650$ for a clone of a large BGE and you wouldn't be able to taste the difference. Same design.

9. 64Strat

I gotcha! Didn't see you were from up north. Looked at the Vision Grills, I think you did the right thing,

10. mbattr

mbattr TDPRI Member

Just an update: have done a bit of burger-grilling on the egg so far with good results, but it really SHINES for smoking and low'n'slow cooking, man! Have done chicken, ribs, and pork butt so far, and will do a couple slabs of ribs tomorrow. Sweet corn too!

11. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

yep they are great! we took the cheaper way out and got the Char Griller Akorn and love it.

12. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Wanted to get the Akorn when I found out I had been volunchosen to host the family festivities... didn't get there, but maybe next payday. You got me jonesin'!

13. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

I've got an XL egg here, and can also verify that you can cook very little food very effectively. I do think that you use a bit more fuel, but it is efficient enough that it is nothing like using a traditional kettle. We absolutely love ours too, and we definitely see it as an investment. I'm building a table for it, and use it year round—T-bone pork chops last night, ribs tomorrow, and pizza the day after that… life is good, when you're cooking' on a BGE!

14. mbattr

mbattr TDPRI Member

Hey BenM, haven't done pizza yet, but I've heard how great it is, and plan to quite soon. Wifey wants some inch-thick pork chops too, but that'll be maybe next weekend. I've been told the Egg is great for traditional baking too, like biscuits, corn bread, even cookies and pies. Can't wait!

15. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

I've done bread on my Akorn, pizza too. If you like coal fired pizza with a fresh egg on top, it's a 90 second deal and amazing.

16. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Went to the store for coloring books and an inflatable mattress... came back with this.

It was the last one left of last year's model. They had them listed at $399 - new ones were on sale for $299, and this one was on "clearance" for $398.97. No, I'm not kidding - that's what they've been doing lately for "clearance" items; they just put a red sticker on them and discount them by 3 cents.

But - they were giving 50% off all clearance items in the "home" department. So, that plus my own regular discount and I came home with a newish Akorn for only $169. Of course I had to disassemble it myself to get it in the car... but otherwise, Yay!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.