The Big 4 Of The Greatest Songs Ever

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Uhh, your joke doesn't work because I can read Japanese. I'll translate for the others here who cannot:

4. "Heat Wave" - Martha and the Vandellas
3. "I Found Out" - John Lennon
2. "Memphis Tennessee" - Johnny Rivers
1. "Ballroom Blitz" - The Sweet

You can’t top kita wing and you know it. Screamin leads, full orchestra, synth brass, FM bells, circle progressions, half time breakdown, perfect amount of eigo, midnight flight, and a MF’ing gospel choir.

Love is the mystery my dude.

markxus25

TDPRI Member
4. That song is only great for a few seconds. The bridge ("talk about it, talk about it...") and the chorus with those iconic rhythmic guitar stabs. That chorus is so great it puts "Funkytown" in the number 47 spot on 'Greatest Songs Ever' list.

3. Interesting way of looking at that song -- the 12 minute long unchanging bass line. (By the way, isn't it six notes, not three?) I always appreciated the lyrics, the vocals, and its great chorus. Top song but doesn't crack the Top 50 of 'Greatest Songs Ever Made' list.
You are right Moonraker it is six notes played but only three are used, some are repeated. Legend has it that James Jamerson was asked to play on th track but refused when th producer explained what he was after. Eddie Watkins did th honors on bass. Listen to th guitar interplay, Wah Wah Watson in one speaker, 15 year old Paul Warren in th other doing blues licks. Paul is an old friend of ours from Detroit.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yes great sound, one of the greatest ever maybe - but - not Dynasonics, it's a Gretsch Tenessee Rose with HiLo Trons, which would be correct given the year and guitar model. Also Dynasonics don't have a mud switch.

There was no such thing as a Gretsch Tennessee Rose in 1964.

Hilton Valentine's guitar was a Tennessean.

JustTheDad

TDPRI Member
Uhh, your joke doesn't work because I can read Japanese. I'll translate for the others here who cannot:

4. "Heat Wave" - Martha and the Vandellas
3. "I Found Out" - John Lennon
2. "Memphis Tennessee" - Johnny Rivers
1. "Ballroom Blitz" - The Sweet
I think it actually says
4: Junko Yagami: (Maybe something like: We'll stay here?)
3: Saki Kubota: Ihoujin (maybe "Stranger"??)
2: Seiko Matsuda : The Wind Rises?
1: Akina Nakamori : North Wind (maybe??)

Apologies if I got them all wrong, but I tried. That said, I’m still partial to Chef and Blink 182 (Sorry Loopfinding)

Gotta respect other’s opinions despite our linguistic ignorance. Even people who take the worst Bond film ever made as their user name 😉

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I think it actually says
4: Junko Yagami: (Maybe something like: We'll stay here?)
3: Saki Kubota: Ihoujin (maybe "Stranger"??)
2: Seiko Matsuda : The ?ind Rises?
1: Akina Nakamori : North Wind (maybe??)

Apologies if I got them all wrong, but I tried. That said, I’m still partial to Chef and Blink 182 (Sorry Loopfinding)

Gotta respect other’s opinions despite our linguistic ignorance. Even people who take the worst Bond film ever made as their user name 😉

You got close enough! Yagami is like “light blue” or “pale blue” rain (I always read it as “water colored rain” before knowing mizuiro was light blue and was like wtf?). Kubota is “the stranger” literally but she’s talking about a foreigner. Matsuda spot on, the wind rises. Nakamori is “north wing” but I never really got what it’s referring to (north wing of the airport? wing of the plane pointing north?).

If you deciphered their actual name kanji without translation then hats off. No way in hell I could.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
In my narrow world, 4 perfect songs/recordings

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (studio version)
New Kid In Town
I Feel Fine
Rocket Man

Friend of Leo's
Seeing as this is an opportunity to choose off the wall...

Nobody knows you, when you're down and out
Candy man
Canned heat blues
Burlesque

But, I'd swap all those for anything by Bix Beiderbecke :cool:

Last edited:

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
After a bar gig in Portland, I found myself driving on one of the highways around the city completely alone. Not a single car. None. Then on the radio I hear Take a Walk on the Wild Side for the first time, featuring Herbie Flowers on bass. A very strong memory for me.

Friday on My Mind

Good Vibrations

Foggy Mountain Breakdown

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Time Won't Let Me

(oh-oh, too many)

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
As one who was sucked into the vortex of this thread I would like to respectfully nominate "Jeepster" by T-Rex...

as played by a little guy with a pic of himself on his T-shirt playing to a oversized poster of himself...

seems appropriate here.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
You can’t top kita wing and you know it. Screamin leads, full orchestra, synth brass, FM bells, circle progressions, half time breakdown, perfect amount of eigo, midnight flight, and a MF’ing gospel choir.

Sounds dramatic...like the music under the opening credits to a manga series.

mmannaxx

Tele-Meister
i'll play. For now, if you mean by songs they have to have lyrics I propose these 4:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Good Vibrations
Penny Lane
Baba O'Reilly

This lineup could change tomorrow. Or after one more adult beverage.

Sputnik03

TDPRI Member
Let's do it. Let's look at the four greatest songs ever made. No explanation is needed to explain why these are The Big Four. The fact is they just are the four greatest songs ever made.

#4.
"Heat Wave" - Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

#3.
"I Found Out" - John Lennon

#2.
"Memphis Tennessee" - Johnny Rivers

and the greatest song ever made....

#1.
"Ballroom Blitz" - The Sweet

I couldn't pick 4 of the best. There have been far too many, in my 70 odd years on the planet, listening to the greatest music ever made.

Telebra

Tele-Meister
Let's do it. Let's look at the four biggest douche bags ever. No explaination needed, it should be obvious to all, except to these frontrunners, due to their overinflated egos and their mistaken belief that the rest of the world gives a damn about their opinions.

4. All the Kardashians
3. Vladimir Putin
2. Moonraker5
1. Moonraker5

He gets it twice because he probably doesn't own a real TELECASTER. Now go back to your cage and never post here again.

radair0502

TDPRI Member
1. Home at Last: Steely Dan
2. The Goodbye Look: Donald Fagen
3. Taking it to the Streets: Doobie Brothers
4. Somebody to Love: Jefferson Airplane
(Aja, Gaucho, Royal Scam… Steely Dan, The best in “yacht rock.” Poetry Man: Phoebe Snow, Blackbird: Kenny Rankin, Girl from Ipanema, Agua de Marco: Jobim… and finally an honorable mention for the Beach Boys: Kokomo and: Good Vibrations) Best Four?Really? Best 40 maybe…

Attachments

• 4C3317CE-E55D-43E7-B796-38D242943695.jpeg
    4C3317CE-E55D-43E7-B796-38D242943695.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 6
  • DB209D73-F4CA-432C-85C4-6A18A4B2CC37.jpeg
    DB209D73-F4CA-432C-85C4-6A18A4B2CC37.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 6
  • D1C81B55-5D55-45F8-8D1C-1DC4DB7EDBA1.jpeg
    D1C81B55-5D55-45F8-8D1C-1DC4DB7EDBA1.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 5

Canadiense. El

Tele-Meister
Just looked through page 1... and no-one mentioned Stairway to Heaven??
Anyway, I don't know what makes a song 'perfect' other than the fact that it resonates with you in the right way at the right time.

Stompin' Tom had a few I'd be willing to nominate: The Hockey Song...
Tillsonburg -
"Your bed's already on the bunkhouse floor,
If it gets a little chilly you can close the door."