The Bias Rite seems to be extinct...

kafka

Friend of Leo's
I have a Weber bias rite. It's like someone's homemade project out of hardware store parts. It worked once. I put it away, and then it never worked again. I contacted Weber about it, and they said that's impossible, and they've never heard of one failing, and they had no advice on how to deal with it.

If you want one, you can probably pretty easily intuit how to put one together. Trust me, it is no loss to the marketplace.

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
i made my own two-tube model to use for el84. then made a two tube model for 6v6, et al. rather cheap and don't have to pull chassis.

play music!

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have one and it is so convenient compared with just the socket tool etc. It switches from voltage to ma so you can see. Mine does two tubes which is a big asset also.
Yeah Weber quit, but I have seen some out there....

Hong Kong:
Ebay sale # 304126416203

Last edited:

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
I have one an amp tech friend gave me, it only checks ma though. I have a couple of wires with eyelets on the end to slip over the voltage pin. Been meaning to build another with the voltage available, but using 2 meters, I can get by. I added the resistors, and a couple of test points on one build, but only used it once, think it's more trouble than I want on future builds.
I bought some multi conductor wire, and assorted parts to build another for the noval power tubes, but haven't yet!

DR-33.JPG

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Weber bias rite. It's like someone's homemade project out of hardware store parts. It worked once. I put it away, and then it never worked again. I contacted Weber about it, and they said that's impossible, and they've never heard of one failing, and they had no advice on how to deal with it.

If you want one, you can probably pretty easily intuit how to put one together. Trust me, it is no loss to the marketplace.
Thats funny... because a lot of people really like them.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
View attachment 925505
All of the pins from the socket to the pin base are connected to each other except the plate connection. You will have 3 leads from the tube adapter that will plug into 2 DMMs. One DMM measures plate current and completes the circuit from the plate to the amp. The other DMM measures plate voltage with the positive lead from the adapter and the negative lead to the amp chassis. This is how these plug in testers work. You can make one for yourself it isn’t hard.
Thank you for that. Its so simple... I'm embarrassed I didnt understand.
I was making it more complicated in my head.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted

Furthermore, I believe you, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Weber. They have bent their own rules on speaker returns, letting me swap out a speaker 6 months after I got it... just because I wanted to try something else. Another time they overnighted some equipment to me when I needed it... and have always been friendly. Its unfortunate you had a bad experience with them...

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have one an amp tech friend gave me, it only checks ma though. I have a couple of wires with eyelets on the end to slip over the voltage pin. Been meaning to build another with the voltage available, but using 2 meters, I can get by. I added the resistors, and a couple of test points on one build, but only used it once, think it's more trouble than I want on future builds.
I bought some multi conductor wire, and assorted parts to build another for the noval power tubes, but haven't yet!

View attachment 925539

Bill, some years back I suggested to a member that they could drill…carefully….through the wall of the octal socket in order to make contact with the plate pin. They tried it and succeeded!! Drill the hole large enough to accommodate the meter’s positive probe.

kafka

Friend of Leo's
Thats funny... because a lot of people really like them.

Furthermore, I believe you, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Weber. They have bent their own rules on speaker returns, letting me swap out a speaker 6 months after I got it... just because I wanted to try something else. Another time they overnighted some equipment to me when I needed it... and have always been friendly. Its unfortunate you had a bad experience with them...

A lot of people recognized it was lousy. It just wasn't a great product. Eventually, Weber acknowledged the problems and discontinued it.

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/weber-bias-rite-alert.17595/

The fragility was in the attached DMM/switching unit. You can make the sockets yourself easily enough and use your own DMM.

I have plenty of Weber speakers. It's what they do. Test equipment, not so much.

Last edited:

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of people recognized it was lousy. It just wasn't a great product. Eventually, Weber acknowledged the problems and discontinued it.

The fragility was in the attached DMM/switching unit. You can make the sockets yourself easily enough and use your own DMM.

I have plenty of Weber speakers. It's what they do. Test equipment, not so much.
Whatever you say. Their switchable resistors and capacitors for voicing amps are fantastic. Sure, you can make your own, but they are nice. And I havent found them provided by anyone else. The bias rite provides other readings, too, that other bias meters dont. Honestly, you're the first person over ever heard complain about them. Though, I'm sure you're complaint is valid. I dont think they discontinued them because they suck...

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted

Ok, I read the link (that has a non-working link)... maybe they did have issues, its really beside the point. Besides, that forum post was made by a Marshall fan... obviously poor judgement.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Bill, some years back I suggested to a member that they could drill…carefully….through the wall of the octal socket in order to make contact with the plate pin. They tried it and succeeded!! Drill the hole large enough to accommodate the meter’s positive probe.
Post error

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I'm pretty tired of all the disagreement over biasing methods... it seems like a DMM, Scope and common sense are the best route... screw the bias rite and other circuit interrupting meters. Thanks @kafka .