1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The better-than-average-est guitar solos

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thesamhill, Nov 19, 2020.

1. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

A friend on the east coast is learning guitar, is a big Oasis fan, and was starting to flag in his practice. I learned these two solos and sent him clips of me playing them, he's back at it again. YMMV

About the 2m mark:

1:40 or so:

When I was a kid, I learned a ton of licks off early-ish ZZ Top. Tres Hombres thru Deguello. Good luck and have fun!

tanplastic and thesamhill like this.
  2. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

This is my wheelhouse :)

Just what I needed
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Sultans of Swing (as mentioned)
    Anything by the Darkness...

thesamhill likes this.
  3. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All of Richard Lloyd's stuff on the "Marquee Moon" album by Television is worth studying. Beautiful melodic playing. I especially love his solo on "Elevation."

4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

my old mate Les Bennets doing his thing..we called him Banjo Les....poor guy died in a tiny bedsit in Redcar in 1995 his last job was driving a 1060 heliminer down a local potash mine.
    he always maintained that he wrote my old mans a dustman...and would often dig out his memory box...and had a well tatty lump of ancient paper with it written on it...dated and signed by himself and donegan...along with some great photos and newspaper clippings
    he gave a me a jetglo ric 325 before he died...didnt want his family getting their greedy mitts on it to quote him...a true friend and a hell of a guitarist...the local paper gave his passing a tiny little mention on about page 4 in a bottom corner...a sad end...and a miserable tribute considering his far reaching influence on the british music scene
    notice how lonnie sings "middlesbrough" not "middleburgh" in it..middlesbrough is very close to us here...10 miles

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    RodeoTex, tanplastic and thesamhill like this.
  5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

A lot of the Eagles hits have memorable/singable guitar solos that are 20-30 seconds long and just good basic rock guitar...i.e. don’t need to be a guitar virtuoso to try to learn them.

thesamhill and buster poser like this.
  6. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I know exactly what you mean.I am one of those ex rodeo cowboy guys that lived in the sticks.Raise cattle,etc.That is why i don't like Colorado anymore.The legalization of a certain 'thing' here is destroying this state in so many ways.They type of people moving here,traffic,average house price 606,000,crime going way up,homeless everywhere now,etc,etc.I could go on forever.I have two college courses left once this covid mess is taken care of then i am out of here!But i would rather talk about Telecasters!

thesamhill likes this.
  7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

first band i saw live
    Barrie masters (vocals) RIP
    Dave Higgs (rhythm guitar) RIP
    lead guitar Graeme douglass..(Ex Kursaal Flyers)
    all part of the Southend/Canvey Island pub rock scene

jhundt and thesamhill like this.
  8. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So much great stuff- thanks all! I'm working through it.

Just with some of the stuff I'm familiar with already:

The solo on Hound Dog is interesting. He starts out with an 11-note passage that hits the "1" at note 8, then theres a rest and it repeats but to where it hits the "1" at note 4. (I think, if I'm counting everything right.)

That's cool. One of my problems is having a hard time breaking out of the "bars". Like, if I play an 8-bar solo, it's going to have 8 parts and each will be neatly contained within a bar. It's interesting to see how others get out of that trap.

Been a while since I listened to some Bad Brains! Nice

The cool thing about the Darkness, Spinal Tap, Steel Panther etc is that they are kind of doing the work for me - analyzed a genre (consciously or intuitively), taken the great parts of it, and built it into songs. I guess they did it for the purpose of parody or something like parody, but still- the parody wouldn't work if it wasn't accurate, so they are good sources to steal from :cool: Cheers!

9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

guitar..Nicky Garrett ...classically trained
    Charlie Harper...vocals...he might not thank me for this...one of the nicest blokes ive known
    And his favourite place is.....Middlesbrough

Fergyuk likes this.
  10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Posted this before...

Danny Gatton's solo on "One For Lenny" off his New York Stories album, get's my vote for some the best guitar playing I've ever heard.

Breathtaking Beauty!

(I dare anyone to try and tab it!)

thesamhill likes this.
  11. buster poser

I missed this post. I think I won a game of chicken and ended up here, but they're gonna have to drag me out of this state. ;)

Wulf and thesamhill like this.
  12. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

How's that going to help the OP?

thesamhill likes this.
  13. thesamhill

Yeah man, I like it here because I can leave all that mess at the door and talk about music! But congrats on getting close to finishing up your courses, that's awesome. What are you studying?

Coloradotwanger and Wulf like this.
  14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And he double-tracked that solo too.

basher likes this.
  15. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

It's short, but particularly manic---the EP version is the best version...

thesamhill likes this.
  16. thesamhill

Santa Fe is beautiful. I think I could have stuck it out there.

I was closer to the border and... I've never seen anything like it, before or since. Kidnappings. Mass graves. Border patrol trucks flying around the desert in the night firing off turret-mounted guns with their "co-ed interns" from NMSU. Sheriff's office running prostitution rings. Cocaine everywhere. I put about a year in as a house guitarist at a local restaurant/bar until one night the manager loaded up a truck and disappeared with all the TVs and 3 rooms worth of furniture. I was like, "I need to get out of here before I get killed or start to fit in..."

17. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

I’ll go for Jeff Lynne’s little solo on Mr. Blue Sky. Easy as pie to play but it’s a highlight of the song and a brilliant bit of songwriting- expressed in a guitar line.

thesamhill likes this.
  18. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

thesamhill likes this.
  19. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

For everyone who thinks Neil Young is a caveman...try playing this with the same command of volume and subtlety...

Macrogats and thesamhill like this.
  20. buster poser

Absolutely, down south is a whole different scene. My folks retired to Lincoln County in '00 and even there was a little weird, but I didn't like even driving up from El Paso when I'd fly to visit and did it just twice before switching to ABQ. Some real "No Country..." stuff goes on down there.

thesamhill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.