1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The better-than-average-est guitar solos

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thesamhill, Nov 19, 2020.

1. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Asked some friends for recommendations on solos they enjoy, so I can listen and dig into them and learn about guitar solo composition.

They suggested I check out Slash, Kirk Hammett, Jimi Hendrix- basically, suggesting I check out the best solos by the best lead guitarists on the planet.

Bless their hearts :) Definitely cool. But... baby steps

What's out there that is less Slash and more Mike Campbell, in terms of guitar soloing? What are some favorite "better-than-average"est guitar solos? Solid, 20-40 second-ish solos that are great without being virtuosic speed-wise, but that totally make the song?

2. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Sultans of Swing. The solo and the fills are all based off the chords.

3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just about anything from Steely Dan, esp Aja.
    Peace - Deeve

4. thesamhill

Yeah man! Funny, originally in the post I had mentioned Knopfler and Gilmour as the other OGs of non-speed-demon solo composition. In the interests of keeping it short I ended up taking that out, but they're there too.

They are tough, though. They're so deep in the soundtrack of my life. I mean, seriously, EVERYONE has that one girlfriend/boyfriend who was way into Floyd and I'm not sure I need to be reminded of her all the time. There's a reason I left New Mexico, you know? I don't regret anything, but no one in that whole situation emerged unscathed... OK see? this is why I can't listen to Floyd anymore without mentally preparing myself for a day or two, lol

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  5. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I mean, he’s one of the greats but Gilmore’s first solo on Comfortably Numb has always been one of my favorites. Nothing crazy really going on except perfect tone and his soul pouring through the guitar.
    Not shredder virtuoso stuff, just brings the song from good to great. The one that closes out the song is also amazing but that first one really is what always gets me.

Fiesta Red and thesamhill like this.
  6. thesamhill

Roman4405 likes this.
  7. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

Started reading your post and thought what about the dude from the Heartbreakers? Wait nvm he mentioned him. Ok, well Knopfler does some not very.... damn. How about Gilm.... oh you must be kidding me.

My first three thoughts mentioned in the first two posts. I’ll have to think about it.

Surprised you made it out of NM. They don’t call it the Land of Entrapment for nothing ;)

8. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I feel the SAME way about Pink Floyd.
    Too funny!I miss The Land Of Enchantment so much!I have been up in this Colorado mess for twenty years now next month.

IMadeYouReadThis and thesamhill like this.
  9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Joe Walsh is one of the absolute masters of short but sweet solos.
    Here's but one example. The Gretsch goodness during the verses is exemplary too.

RodeoTex, SuprHtr and thesamhill like this.
  10. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

the most better-than-average band of all

this one is extremely effective

Macrogats and thesamhill like this.
  11. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Solo in Black Crowes Hard to Handle. Or China Grove by Doobie Brothers.

12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Live performance of Clapton playing Stormy Monday. It was one of the first times I heard a blues solo tell a story.

Jerry_Mountains and thesamhill like this.
  13. thesamhill

New Mexico is my all time favorite thing I'll never do again. Absolutely gorgeous people, living in an absolutely gorgeous part of the country, doing completely insane and terrifying things, surrounded by contraband, machine guns, venomous desert creatures, and the most amazing food on the planet. My decision to leave essentially boiled down to losing a game of chicken. But what a rush...

Right?

There are times when I think it's the same woman, roaming the earth, never aging, bringing Pink Floyd and insanity to naive young men. Sort of like the spiritual photo negative of Santa Claus.

Coloradotwanger and El Famoso like this.
  14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

"Marquee Moon" - Television
    "Free Four" - Pink Floyd

rz350, thesamhill and 68tele like this.
  15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I’d go back to some of the 50s stuff as a starting place. Quick but not technical, melodic, not show offy. Scotty Moore on Hound Dog. Any classic Chuck Berry tune. Personal fave is Jeanie Jeanie Jeanie by Eddie Cochran.

thesamhill likes this.
  16. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Breaking In My Heart---Tom Verlaine
    Sway---Mick Taylor's solo
    Ball and Chain---Bee Houston's solo
    Robin Trower---Daydream
    Bad Brains---Destroy Babylon

Peegoo and thesamhill like this.
  17. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It never hurts to mimic the melody line of the vocals once in awhile, either.

thesamhill likes this.
  18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

My #1 recommandation here is everything Beatles from Revolver on (and if you like rockabilly licks, even earlier stuff). Both George Harrison and Paul McCartney are terrific – neither is a technical monster, but loads of taste, story-telling and good harmonic sense in everything they do. And, you may find some challenging, tricky stuff for progressing technically.

"Something" is one of my favorite guitar solos of all times.

My other two recommendations are Eric Clapton (end of the 60s, early 70s – Badge being his best solo ever in my view) and David Gilmour. Both masters, in their prime, at etching out a meaningful solo. Gilmour, in particular, is amazing at using motifs in his solos (check out "Money").

To get the most out of learning these solos, don't turn to YouTube lessons or transcriptions. Do it by ear. It's not difficult, and it will teach you LOTS of stuff about what notes go where.

PS: John Mayer is badass too, exactly in the same way – his solos on "Something like Olivia" or "Queen of California" are great examples of how you can say a lot with a few well-placed notes.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    elihu and thesamhill like this.
  19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

A guy could do a lot worse than learning the basic structure of Rick Vito’s slide solo in Bob Seger’s “Like a Rock.” Even if you didn’t do it with a slide. Just trying to get a sense of how he got around on the neck into different registers, and how he phrased it. A zillion pickup truck commercials later, that is still some great soloing. 2:11-3:10...

This one came up the other day on another thread; more great phrasing, 1:48-2:05...

And 1:54-2:12...

Intro, 2:03-3:25, 4:05-end...this thing is full of tasty moves.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    thesamhill likes this.
  20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

A Pink Floyd song I love almost as much as Comfortable Numb is The Turning Away!

RodeoTex, thesamhill and Roman4405 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.