1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The "Better Call Saul" Two Night Premiere

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Feb 9, 2015.

1. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. At the same relative stages of development of the two shows Saul is more compelling. Long way to go though and BB got better and better.

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I already have more empathy for Saul than I ever had for Walt. I suppose I could have said that going in though. They are playing it up.

3. Oldboy

Oldboy Tele-Meister

Dont get me wrong I loved BB, we binge watched it last year on Netflix well after it had already been aired, I just think that so far BCS has been very good, its all relative I suppose

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

yeah, I agree... I'm just having some fun.

5. Oldboy

Oldboy Tele-Meister

Me too :)

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

The scene in which Mike explains half and full measures to Walt.

Dinner with the Whites and Jesse.

The scene between Walt and Hank in Hank's garage.

The scene in the meth superlab in which Gus makes gruesome use of a box cutter.

I could do this all day long...

7. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Breaking Bad had some great plot devices that fizzled out in a Coenesque manner. Those twins crawled, murdered and rampaged their way up to Arizona but were ended in a parking lot by Hank in about two minutes? That was a bit clumsy. The build up to the plane crash, with the eye floating in the pool, was also an interesting device that went nowhere. I'm not sure why they suddenly threw in these 'Butterfly effect' subplots. Jane's Dad does a shoddy job at airtraffic control because Jane had OD'd, and this was all Walt's fault. That was never really tidied up, until Walt told Jesse that he saw Jane OD whilst he was stealing their money. It felt to me that they were treading water for a lot of season two and three of Breaking Bad, with a really punchy start and end. Some characters were never developed beyond a certain point, such as Junior/Flynn (who actively choses that name?) and the baby. Jesse Pinkman showed the most development, followed by Skyler. Walter might have been created to follow the same trajectory, but he had already killed and covered it up by the first few episodes, so he hardly started in a good place.

I don't know if I like Better Call Saul more or not. I've been following it but I feel it still hasn't got anywhere, and we are nearly done with the first series. The lingering POV shots are the same as in Breaking Bad, and I really enjoy any scene with Mike in it. David St. Hubbins was a poor choice for chuck, especially now that his Rainman eccentricities somehow vanished over the course of a single episode. I can understand why he was angry at Jimmy at the end of the last episode, but am I meant to sympathise with Jimmy or Chuck now? Is the whole idea now that Jimmy cannot ever make it in the real world so he reheats some criminal connections? And how does Gus come in? It seems both Jimmy/Saul and Mike wind up connected to him, unless Mike is the bridge between the two.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah that was a puzzler. It reminded me of Don DeLillo stories where (to me, and I'm no literary critic at all) bad things just happen for no reason and there is this 'atmosphere' of bad juju. then the plot moves on.

9. FMA

Bad things do happen in DeLillo stories for some reason. The cause and effect. The consequences for characters.

Just as the plan crash happened for a reason. It was Walt's fault as he set in motion the reasons for it occurring. And in the aftermath, Walt tries to rationalize it away and deflect his own guilt, which was a big part of his character and the way he dealt with the nasty things he believed he had to do. It was one of the things that made Walt such a compelling character.

For instance, he set in motion the events that led to Gail's death and after, rationalized it by saying it was his only choice and that he did to protect Jesse and his family.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Better Call Saul and Dr. Who are the only reasons that we still have Dish TV.

$103 per month for two shows.

TV stinks. We struggle with Dish TV vs. getting 4 good broadcast antennas. We live between Milwaukee and Madison and we can pick up about 35 channels with a $50 antenna.

Drives me nuts. Sorry.....back to Better Call Saul.......

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I have the bar lower...
    I love shows like Justified, The Americans, I like several of the house flipping shows, mad men, the cop show set in El Paso & mexico with the aspergers inflicted detective... there are several shows I really really like. I dvr them and binge watch... and with spring training almost over... I'll have the Giants nearly every night...

12. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Better Call Saul is on Netflix UK, which I love. They get each episode sometime the day after it airs in the US.

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks for replying about Delillo. Like I said I am no literary critic :lol: but I do enjoy his books and shows like Breaking Bad and I find some similarities there.

14. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Of course he was. Chuck is a name partner in the big dog firm; he is a sharp lawyer and keen diviner of what is unseen. He was put in that meeting by Jimmy to lend gravitas to the negotiation... and Jimmy correctly sized up that at some point Chuck would step up and be the lawyer he once was. That is to Jimmy's credit in being a good brother, getting Chuck back on the horse. Jimmy figured out a way for that to happen.

What is evident but thus far unsaid about HHM, is that Chuck is the legal authority of the firm. Howard is the business guy... the guy who has schmoozed moneyed clients (some of whom are very shady people) and made HHM the juggernaut that it now is. My guess is that Chuck never liked the cocktail parties; he would rather spend evenings with his nose stuck in law books, looking for precedents. He has a love of the law, and it was central to the falling out he's had with Jimmy.

I'm looking for a showdown between Chuck and Howard at some point. Chuck isn't going to have a seizure and die off the show; his health is going to get better, to some degree. To the point where he can do work. He more or less has to get better, because Jimmy isn't gonna fill the cooler anymore. My guess is that Howard has changed things at the firm, and it won't sit well with Chuck. Oboy, more conflict! :D

The whole thing with why Jimmy did not have a seat at the table for the Big Suit he uncovered... I had that all wrong. I figured it was Howard being punitive to Jimmy... some sort of love triangle thing with Kim. Surely Kim has rejected Howard's advances? But no... I was way off. Credit to the writers for avoiding that cliche.

The relationship between Kim and Jimmy is really interesting. They were involved... now still friends ... They role played... Jimmy did the weird paper towel tube robot voice for the phoned warning to the Kettelmans... she knew right away that that's what Jimmy did. Interesting history there.

Kim is whip-smart, and pragmatic. She didn't go for Jimmy's dream of the two of them partnering up in a firm. She knows HHM put her through school and that she owes the firm. She is doing what is right for *her* career, however much she values her friendship with Jimmy. Good stuff. Sure she's easy on the eyes, but her razor assessments of Jimmy's pretzel twisted situations make her a great foil for Jimmy. It's a great part... nuanced, sexy, no BS...

It's possible that next week, Jimmy will turn over the retirement home case to HHM, take the first steps towards becoming Saul Goodman, and give Nacho a call. But I will watch and see, because I have yet to predict this show very well. Which is a good thing ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  15. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I'm hoping that, with this latest development, the show will be through with Chuck and HHM. That whole plot line just never did anything for me. I'm looking forward to Jimmy's transformation to Saul.

16. J-man

Admin Post
    The whole thing is Jimmy's transformation to Saul! It all adds up.

17. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Tele-Meister

(Manolete Quote)...... until Walt told Jesse that he saw Jane OD whilst he was stealing their money.

Actually, Walt was giving Jesse the money even though Jane was trying to Black Mail Walt.

I enjoyed Breaking Bad and I also enjoy "Saul" They are two different shows, even though they share some of the same charectors.

I haven't heard if it's been picked up for next year but I sure hope so.

I thought at the end of last week's show, Jimmy told Chuck he was going for the deal with HHM.

18. J-man

Admin Post
    It was renewed for a second season before the pilot even aired! :D

19. FMA

Saul was granted a 13-episode second season even before the first season began airing. I guess AMC liked what they saw and give Gilligan and crew some credit for knowing what they're doing.

20. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I know. I mean the completion of Jimmy's transformation to Saul, and I hope, the end of the HHM stuff. I want to see Saul with his Cadillac with the LWYRUP license plate and his office with the Statue of Liberty on top!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.