The "Better Call Saul" Two Night Premiere

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Feb 9, 2015.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it is a 'pre quel'... the opening scene shows the present where saul is the asst manager of a cinnabon at a mall in omaha, ne as part of witness protection... he watches the video tape and drifts off... and we travel back to where it all began... before he changed his name... and he is just meeting people who will later be part of breaking bad....

make sense?

2. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

What's the relationship between Saul and Chuck?

Father?

Brother?

Uncle?

3. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Brothers.

4. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Chuck is Saul's older brother, a partner at the foo foo law firm that Jimmy busted into in episode 1, scattering the torn up check.

The deal there is, Saul was trying to scam a partnership buyout for his brother, who has some weird disease / disability wherein he cannot tolerate electromagnetism of any kind. That's why Chuck is house bound, and there are no lights or appliances used... just the Coleman lamps, and the gas stove. Food is kept in a cooler, which Jimmy has to restock because obviously Chuck can't leave the house and get bombarded by EMF down at the Piggly Wiggly. Anyhow, far as Chuck is concerned, he's on an extended leave of absence, and plans on returning to the firm once he is better. So Jimmy's move to get the firm to cash out Chuck is pretty bold, and the other partner saw right through it. Jimmy is desperate for cash. In episode 2, Jimmy insists that Chuck take off the space blanket... I'm pretty sure Jimmy thinks Chuck's malady is all in his head.

It's a weird plot device, and while I haven't looked it up, I suspect there actually exists some incredibly small number of people who cannot tolerate being around modern electrical things. They wrote it into the show because somebody they heard about suffers from that, is my guess.

~~~~~

The keen observer will note not just Tuco being on the show, but Tuco's BrBa posse. The dude Tuco beats to death in BrBa season 2, and also the big dude that gets squashed by a car at the salvage yard, disposing of the guy Tuco beat up. Makes me think the smart guy in the crew, the one that visited Jimmy at the salon / Jimmy's 'office', may not be long for this world, even though he's way smarter than Tuco.

I don't have an expectation that Better Call Saul has to live up to BrBa. That's a tall order. I expect to be entertained, by virtue of the writing (same guys writing it as for BrBa), and by Bob Odenkirk's take on a small time sleazy lawyer. It gets a bunch of mileage from the way Odenkirk plays it. I look at Better Call Saul as being a sort-of update of Rockford Files, which got a lot of its staying power from the appeal of Jim Garner, and the guy he played.

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

So far I'm finding the show a lot more enjoyable to watch than BrBa. Agree about it being like an update of Rockfish Files.

6. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Loving it so far!

7. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

8. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

It's like Breaking Bad starting all over again, so I'm happy.

9. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Not to pick nits, but it's what I'm doing, but Saul didn't go into witness protection. He got a new identity and home from the vacuum cleaner guy, played by Robert Forster, the same guy who got Walt to New Hampshire.

So far, I'm digging this show. Good to see Mike Ehrmantraut again. And it was interesting that Tuco's henchman, Nacho, who came to see Saul at the end of episode two recognized something in Jimmy McGill, a larcenous streak that would transform him into Saul Goodman...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  10. getbent

[​IMG]

you know... you are right.

11. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

I had an impression that "Jimmy's" stashed video tape of the Saul promotional ad was an artifact of his life in the Breaking Bad era. He seemed to watch it with some nostalgic regret for happier times when he had a thriving law practice. Is the premise that the Jimmy alias was assumed in a period before Breaking Bad due to some entirely different legal crisis?

The brother's EMF thing in the story, it seems to me, is a manifestation of a phobia, a fear arising from a completely imaginary harmful effect of electrical devices, and I suppose this phobia and the odd behavior it causes is the source of his conflict with the law firm. Saul/Jimmy's request that he remove the space blanket seemed to be an expression of Saul's exasperation with this obsessive behavior that Saul has been enduring solely to soothe and placate his brother's irrational fears.

12. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Jimmy McGill is his real name with Saul Goodman being his alias.

13. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Watched both episodes off the DVR box last night.

Happy!

Tuco was a handsome youngster who loved his mother. Who knew?!?

I thought it was good. Looking forward to more.

15. FMA

To address some of the confusion here, one the signature moves of Gilligan and company are cold openings that show some aspect of future events. For example, the season of Breaking Bad that ended with the plane crash was foreshadowed by the scenes of the pink teddy bear floating in Walt's pool. Throughout the season, there were several openings showing the bear and the viewer had no idea what to make of it, other than its presence seemed to foretell tragic events. Season five began with a scene of Walt's return to ABQ and purchase of the machine gun that would play a role in the finale.

It's a very cool storytelling device, beginning the story at the end, and, done well, a good way to build dramatic tension.

16. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

To clarify, back (or in the future, if you're watching "Better Call Saul" post Uno intro) when Walt first met Saul in Breaking Bad, Saul revealed that he was really an Irish guy, "My real name's McGill. The Jew thing I just do for the homeboys. They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak." There's some insight into the man's character for you.

17. FMA

True. I also read that his name came from "It's all good, man."

18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I had a music teacher named Saul Goodman back in the seventies.

19. getbent

I'd bet that gilligan and team are literate and probably grabbed it from here.

If they can come up with the heisenberg pun, it is likely they did some reading at an early age.

20. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

Finally I can nitpick about a tv show!

Tuco certainly must have loved his mother, but (for the non spanish speakers) the woman in the episode is his grandma (abuela)
    :D

I think this show is great. It could even get better than breaking bad. They ride the fine line between tragedy and comedy like few others did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.