1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The best Tele neck pickup ever?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by JohnnyCrash, Aug 20, 2005.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I have found, perhaps, the PERFECT Telecaster neck pickup (well, at least in my opinion).

The Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro rhythm.

The A2P in the bridge is a bit lacking, but in the neck it is so smooth and soft. It can EASILY do subtle and mellow jazz - it is so sweet sounding and musical with beautiful chime.

I have been through a ton of pickups, and have found the end of my neck pickup search!

What neck pickup is your guys' 100% favorite?

2. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm very happy with the Fralin Stock (7.35k ohm with cover) that I put in my USACG T-Style.

3. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

Hamel

the standard black gaurd neck pup, is without a doubt the best I have played.

now I have never played a gibson mini humbucker, but the hamel is fat and clean.

the only reason I bring up the mini hum is , I have been listening to Brent Mason "Swing with a sting "on the hot wired CD , and that could be the best I`ve heard .

the hamel pretty much nails that tone ., Though

4. JoeAArthur

JoeAArthur Tele-Holic

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

6. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

EMG T set....
    the neck Pup is THE sweetest sounding neck Pup
    i've ever heard....these Pups are PHENOMENAL !!!
    now, before anyone flames me down, yes i've got guitars with Lollars, Fralins, Bardens, Duncans, DiMarzios
    Fenders etc etc ad infinitum....
    my search has ended, and eventually i'll switch most of 'em over to EMGs {'cept fer the "collectibles", natch}

glad you found what trips yer trigger Johnny ! ;)

7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

no favorite - yet

I don't have a favorite. I do have one of the Duncan Alnico II Pros in one Tele and it is a nice pickup. I have a Fender '50s Classic in another and I like it too. I haven't had enough experience with a range of Tele neck pickups to have a favorite.

8. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Re: Hamel

That BM tune was actually played on a Gibson Howard Roberts guitar, which I believe sports full size Gibson humbuckers. Real sweet tone. Actually, I believe that only 2 or 3 songs on that CD are tele, many are the Gibson HR, some are strat and some acoustic.

BTW, I like Barden neck pups, they do it all. Lawrence L280 are nice too. The best traditional chrome cover pup I've heard is the recent Fender OV '52 RI, very sweet, and plenty of bite, not muddy like the pre-88 version.

9. Roli

Roli Banned

Phat Cat

10. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Barden for me – fat without the mud. (And without any humbuzz, of course. :)

And if you don't mind enlarging the hole in the pickguard for a Strat-sized pickup, a good old Dimarzio Strat stack has a very sweet, more "traditional humbucker"-type sound. All IMO, YMMV, e-i-e-i-o, and all opinions void where prohibited by law... ;-) CS

11. moondoggie999

moondoggie999 Tele-Holic

Hey Johnny Crash!

I have been enjoying my Kinman AV-n60 neck position for a year or two now. Wanna hear some tracks from it? Check this out...

Kinman60 neck thru DRRI

Kinman60 neck thru Pro Junior

Once you click play, give it about 15 seconds to start playing music, I was checking for "hum" before I started playing...

12. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

I don't think there's a best...

just different flavors.

My current favorite is an early 70's LP Deluxe mini-bucker. I've also had good luck with a Fender OV, but I haven't been playing that tele much lately. The Lawrence 280 is nice also, but I haven't spent enough time with it to know for sure. The Duncan quarter pounder with removed cover has a very sweet tone also.

I really like the large rectangular G&L MFDs in my '82 SC-2, and I think one of those would be awesome in a tele neck slot. Any ASAT owners care to offer their opinions?

I have a Stuart Blackguard and a Van Zandt True Vintage on their way to me, so we'll see if I change my mind.

13. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Dimarzio Twang King

Strat+minibucker+tele tones rolled into one.

Stuart blackguard set on the way too, we'll see how it stacks up.

Cheers,
    Trevor

14. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

guitarjonz

Jonz, I stand corrected.

none the less, the hamel neck pup , nails that tone .
    I got this without trying. just tele to bassman RI.

thanks for the correct info

15. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

SEYMOUR DUNCAN APII

johnny,
    i am in total agreement w/you on the s.d.apII, it is by far my favorite p/u in the neck position for a tele.
    you might consider trying the s.d.five/two for the bridge p/u sweet, punchy, spanky, but not too ice picky and a lot of fun.

16. saladin

saladin Tele-Meister

I'm using an Alnico II Pro humbucker in the neck of my Tele! The best Tele neck tones I've ever heard! :D

17. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

RE: I don't think there's a best AND minihumbucker

Yeah, I know whatcha mean Chris.

I have a guitar for each need, and sometimes what's best depends on the mood I'm in, or the song... I love these A2P's, but if I had to own only ONE guitar, I'd probably stick to a Les Paul Junior - I'm a P90 freak - plus they can SORT OF "do both"... thank god we can have more than one guit-fiddle.

I've always wanted to try the minihumbuckers in a Tele's neck... I'm eyeing a wine red Les Paul Deluxe as well :)

As far as the A2P humbucker, I like them alot, but I prefer the Gibson Classic '57s OR Burstbuckers, just barely though.

18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Re: Dimarzio Twang King

Right on Trev......nice description of the Twang King. Lollars new mini-hum is spectacular. Another mini-hum I've always liked is the regular ( not hot ) output Dimarzio. Hear good things about Kent Armstrongs mini, but have yet to hear one. Anyone check out Joe Walsh's tone on the Crossroads video with a single Duncan mini-hum? Whoooeee! Made me want to put one together for slide.

19. mark norwine

mark norwine Tele-Afflicted

There is no "best"...

But for me, it's Barden

20. silentkid

silentkid Tele-Meister

A couple of years ago I threw a Duncan antiquity in the neck after after accidentally lacerating the Fralin that was in there with a screw driver.
    I bought the antiquity purely because it was on special offer and yet to this day I cannot believe how good it sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.