The Best Guitar You Never Play

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
Lovely guitar!!! 🤩

Although... let me pick some nits here...

I thought all JEM:s were 6-stringers(with the thru-body monkey grip handle)...

jem_92d.jpg

... whereas the Steve Vai -designed 7-string(and grip-less) series was called Universe.

That thing sure looks like a Universe to me... CS or not.

uv_2.jpg

On a semi-related note... the UV7BK was the first 7-string I ever touched.
Never owned one though.
You are absolutely right. I’ve been collecting Vai guitars for so long I think of them all as JEM’s ;)
60CBB515-9ACF-4984-9E7C-DE70032A9A87.jpeg

EB58AD4D-8FCA-4B1E-B78A-C68F466886FF.jpeg

You can however get a 7 string JEM. Monkey grip, wizard neck and all. This one was my daily driver for a number of years.
FF2C12F8-5B80-4FED-9E3E-D460B44662E6.jpeg

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
My Gretsch Americana Way Out West. It’s the only guitar I didn’t have room for in the rack, so out of sight, out of mind. I’m
My Gretsch Americana Way Out West. It’s the only guitar I didn’t have room for in the rack, so out of sight, out of mind.
The only thing that could make that any cooler would be owning matching Jammies.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My Gibson Les Paul Custom Historic ‘57 RI.

Not that I never play it, but it lives in its case while my other guitars are in a stand in my music room and ready to play.

The LP Custom may make it out of the case once every couple of weeks.

D6BA4E40-54C6-45EA-A5F5-9576E9ED65A9.jpeg
DB8987C7-7A9D-4658-B82B-588940DD85EC.jpeg

5003147D-181E-4601-AE6F-C1DA435F7E07.jpeg

Last edited:

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
My ex-MIC Squier CV 50's Tele. Was a great guitar but I just didn't play it. Got rid of it last Monday when I traded it, plus some cash, for a great '75 Gibson Melody Maker D. Was kind of sad to see it go, but it was just taking up space...

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I’ve been collecting Vai guitars for so long I think of them all as JEM’s ;)

I'd be happy with the JEM77FP.
That's one of the most beautiful and simultaneously ugly guitars I've ever seen.
When I win the lottery I'll track down an owner and pay whatever they ask.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
American special strat, lovely guitar but I cannot get in with the Texas special pickups nor the middle pick up position. My good lady bought it for me and I am loathe to part with it for that reason

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
Probably one of these 2 - a Ltd Edition Performer Tele, or my Warmoth 'Custom' build I made a few years ago. both have not been out of their cases so far this year. :(

The Performer is really nice to play, but I can't bring myself (I keep saying I haven't the time) to do a complete setup so it'll be like I want it. I bought it in October last year ><

IMG_6599.jpg

Lovely guitar to play, but I noticed than in ~4 months of playing it after I finished building it, it already had a good bit of fret wear, which put me off somehow.

IMG_4364 (1).JPG

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
I currently have 8 guitars- 6 electric six-strings, 1 electric bass, and 1 acoustic. I play them all, but the one I play least is an Ibanez Artcore AFJ91. It's actually a pretty nice guitar with a very good traditional jazz sound. Though I'm technically good enough to play jazz, and love listening to it, I just never developed a good jazz vocabulary even though I play dozens of traditional jazz heads. I'm not happy with the way my improvisations sound. Anyway, this guitar is now listed on a local musicians' marketplace website.

260515274_4774523465944780_3708573594818690131_n.jpg

Last edited:

kent1113

TDPRI Member
My excuse for not playing my 1988 Gibson L4 is not the time or want. It's the style of music. When I got it I was playing jazz quite a bit but now that's been sidelined for at least 25 years. Now I have it stored, strings loosened slightly, and just going up in value. A bank account in a guitar case.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
We all know her... beautiful, but high maintenance.
20190331_132221~2.jpg

This pic was taken during one of those nightmarish Ric truss rod adjustments (if you know, you know), hence the missing cover.

It sounds amazing, but the thought of tuning all 12 and keeping all 12 in tune makes me just grab whatever is next to it.

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
For me it's this SG Special in Pelham Blue. It's a great guitar, light weight, fast neck, beautiful near black rosewood board with striking red streaks....and for some reason it just sits on the stand and collects dust. I've never taken it to a rehearsal let alone a gig. I kick around the idea of selling it, but really don't have the need to right now. You never know when inspiration will strike, right?

Gibson SG Special.jpg

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For me it's this SG Special in Pelham Blue. It's a great guitar, light weight, fast neck, beautiful near black rosewood board with striking red streaks....and for some reason it just sits on the stand and collects dust. I've never taken it to a rehearsal let alone a gig. I kick around the idea of selling it, but really don't have the need to right now. You never know when inspiration will strike, right?

View attachment 993616
Nice