Are you laughing in my face

D7
Darling what can I do when you say we are through

C D7 G
You've left a wo-o-und time can't erase

Last edited:

Bonneville Bruce

Tele-Holic
Didn't Steve Earle say that Buddy Miller is "the best country music singer, period"?

Buddy Miller was the first name that flashed in my mind when I read the O.P. He has a claim on the title. I have seen him many times with Ms. Emmylou Harris and he delivers the songs as full, robust, and totally committed vocals. His vocals with his Wife, Julie, are also superb duets. Buddy has a wide musical pallet extending to Motown and rock that sets him apart. He has a ways to go in his career to match the high level of output of others mentioned here. He also got a late start. I believe that he was around 40 when "discovered" by Emmylou for her band SPYBOY in 1995. This was the beginning of his career when he gained recognition in the Amereicana genre with Emmylou and SPYBOY, and the release of his superb "You Love and Other Lies."

I have to give it to either Johnny Cash or Patsey Cline. Mr. Cash is the embodiment of country music for me. He lives his songs and vocal lines in a way that is operatic, feeling the characters and giving them life. His long line of recordings spanning nearly half a century is a great consideration form me on this issue. Nobody has an opus like Mr. Cash's. Also, the list of singers whom he accompanied is a great contribution to the genre and his body of work; that includes almost everyone in the business worth a microphone and a stretch of tape.

If the question has to do with the greatest voice, and the best country singer ever, then I believe that Ms. Cline holds that honor. It is tragic that she died so young and so early in her career. We are so much the less for not having the experience of a long list of Patsey Cline albums. Her voice and the subtleties she achieves with it are the essence of great country music.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Buddy Miller was the first name that flashed in my mind when I read the O.P. He has a claim on the title. I have seen him many times with Ms. Emmylou Harris and he delivers the songs as full, robust, and totally committed vocals. His vocals with his Wife, Julie, are also superb duets. Buddy has a wide musical pallet extending to Motown and rock that sets him apart. He has a ways to go in his career to match the high level of output of others mentioned here. He also got a late start. I believe that he was around 40 when "discovered" by Emmylou for her band SPYBOY in 1995. This was the beginning of his career when he gained recognition in the Amereicana genre with Emmylou and SPYBOY, and the release of his superb "You Love and Other Lies."

I have to give it to either Johnny Cash or Patsey Cline. Mr. Cash is the embodiment of country music for me. He lives his songs and vocal lines in a way that is operatic, feeling the characters and giving them life. His long line of recordings spanning nearly half a century is a great consideration form me on this issue. Nobody has an opus like Mr. Cash's. Also, the list of singers whom he accompanied is a great contribution to the genre and his body of work; that includes almost everyone in the business worth a microphone and a stretch of tape.

If the question has to do with the greatest voice, and the best country singer ever, then I believe that Ms. Cline holds that honor. It is tragic that she died so young and so early in her career. We are so much the less for not having the experience of a long list of Patsey Cline albums. Her voice and the subtleties she achieves with it are the essence of great country music.
Lots for me to agree with there!

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
My favorite is Waylon. His is the kind of country music I always hoped existed. Best? He's the best, to me. But of course George is untouchable. Other personal favorites are Lefty, Webb Pierce, Porter (esp. with Dolly), Hank (naturally), Alan Jackson, DAC, Ray Price. I love Willie's early stuff. Loretta, Tammy, Dolly. So many great, original singers!

As for the ladies, one favorite that doesn't get mentioned much is Leona Williams, who was married to Hag for awhile. She's has, to me, the perfect blend of Loretta's sass and Tammy's heartache.

Boomhauer

Friend of Leo's
mM8xgtv.jpeg