The best country singer . . .

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
I love me some Johnny Cash as an artist, songwriter and music icon, but I still can't imagine why anyone would ever suggest him in the list of great country singers. As much as I love his music, to me he was not stylistically country, nor particularly a great singer, much less should he be considered great country singer.

Just my opinion...blast away!😁

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Dan Penn is damn good, but I'd have to choose Bobby Bland as my favourite male singer, yes you might say he is a blues singer, or a soul singer, but for me, he is just the greatest singer at whatever he sings, and his "Get On Down" album is nearly all country.
Here is a sample of him singing a Merle Haggard song;

Telefan65

Tele-Meister
I love me some Johnny Cash as an artist, songwriter and music icon, but I still can't imagine why anyone would ever suggest him in the list of great country singers. As much as I love his music, to me he was not stylistically country, nor particularly a great singer, much less should he be considered great country singer.

Just my opinion...blast away!😁
To each their own,
But I will say that you need to listen to A young man named Colter wall.I’m pretty sure he’s Johnny reincarnated. Just a rumbling voice on this kid!

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
To each their own,
But I will say that you need to listen to A young man named Colter wall.I’m pretty sure he’s Johnny reincarnated. Just a rumbling voice on this kid!
I love Cash and Colter Wall! They are great artists and songwriters. I just wouldn’t mention either in the greatest singer conversation, which was the point of this thread to my understanding.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know the answe between Merle, George Jones, and a bunch of great gal singers. But I darn sure know the best country singer isn't Johnny Cash or Steve Earle! Some of yall need to listen to more country music.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Holic
While not a really a contender for the “best,” exactly, I do love this singer and the sound of just about every recording of his I have drummed up. I became interested in him ever since I bought a like $3.99 compilation CD out of the bin at the Pottery Barn here in town. I have listened farther on YouTube. Good luck googling him without coming across the Scottish pop-folk singer. Anyway, he is great. The compilation had “Truck Driving Buddy” and “Blackland Farmer” on it. Been nudging around to find a cool LP of his.

Last edited:

danielreid27

Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: