The best country singer . . .

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
Let me just say that I'm one of the biggest Merle Haggard fans around. There will always be a special place in my heart for his music. He is to me the greatest country music star of all time. I was asked about voice and I voted for George Jones. It's not to say I don't highly regard Merle and many others.

You should definitely have "Yesterday's Wine" and "Kickin' Out The Footlights...Again". George and Merle together. In "Kickin' Out The Footlights" Merle does George's songs and George does Merle's songs. Great fun. Merle and George were friends. They might be having a chuckle up in heaven over us debating this.

I saw The Possum in concert but sadly not Merle. I miss country music.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
My tribute but still unfinished here, nuff said

Recorded with it again today

Attachments

• 20171016_172045.jpg
    20171016_172045.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 11

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Duh, it's Morgan Wallen.
Relax, I'm just trying to get you old roosters stirred up and get your blood pumping a little.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
George claims Lefty as a primary influence, so I think it's gotta be Frizzell if impact/influence is the criterion.

"Best?" No way I can choose even a top five, and then where do guys like Tommy Duncan and Jimmie Rodgers (both of whom surely influenced Lefty) fit in?

Telefan65

Tele-Meister
Lefty had a little brother, David, who had a couple of big hits, including this one:

Oh yea,
David made a good run in the 80’s. I remember “I’m gonna hire a wino”. His “Your the reason God made Oklahoma” with Shelley west was a classic track as well.His brother Lefty was for years a forgotten legend, which is sad because he inspired so many future legends. George Straits “Lefty’s gone” is a superb track honoring Lefty.

Boomhauer

Friend of Leo's
Duh, it's Morgan Wallen.
Relax, I'm just trying to get you old roosters stirred up and get your blood pumping a little.
Morgan does not make my speakers go boom boom like Luke Bryan does. Morgan does not warsh my troubles down the drain like Luke Bryan does. I cannot get drunk on Morgan Wallen and high on summertime. I can get drunk on Luke Bryan and high on summertime.

Luke Bryan wins.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
I always thought George was a master at country.....

For some reason I saw Merle in a different light after I finally
woke up to him around the time of the "Big City" hit. Of course I was aware
of him but when I took the time to study his work back to his
beginnings he always struck me as a rocker. He was a genius
at country but when he would do up tempo stuff he rocked.

I am aware that many people would argue my point, and I respect that,
but in his history he spent the first part of his career doing some great
tunes. By the early 70's he headed in a different direction and set a
standard that everyone wanted to achive. By the late 70's through the mid
80's he was at the top of his game and everything he did was gold. Not
just the music but the way it was produced and recorded. I believe, in that
respect, the industry was trying to catch up with what Merle was doing.

Now as far as voices go David A. Coe would have to come in second for me.
He, like Merle, could do many other voices...just about anyone.

Now for something completely different : Dean Martin
Don't get me started on that.
I'll raise your Dean Martin, Vicente Fernandez.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I put down Patsy Cline, but Emmy Lou Harris is who I listen to most; of course she has a LOT of really fine albums. Brenda Lee was a fantastic singer, and is in the country music hall of fame, but to me her best work was in other areas (admitting there's a lot I haven't heard). Allison Krauss kind of the same- she's a fantastic singer but her best work isn't so much in country (or country songs, such as "You Don't Know Me", that aren't strongly tied to the genre). Rhonda Vincent is the best in bluegrass, Delia Bell in historical bluegrass.
I may have something of a predilection for female singers.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Emmylou has the amazing ability to improve any other singer she works with. She may be the ultimate duo partner in this regard.

I mean, she even makes Willie Nelson sound good.
I've been back and forth with Willie's voice-certainly not pretty, and I was at first a bit offended when he started doing show tunes, but he sort of makes it work when you get used to it, and he is a good musician. I saw an old video a while back of Willie, maybe 30 or so- he was wearing a suit and had slicked back hair, was singing sitting in a chair (no guitar)- I wouldn't have recognized him in a million years, but once he started singing his sinuses were immediately recognizable.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Holic
Greatest male singer: nobody reached the heights of George Jones. Or the depths. Merle held it together longer and had a more consistent body of work. Flip a coin, they're both stellar.

Greatest female singer: Patsy Cline. Period, paragraph, the end.
I agree about Patsy. She should've been mentioned in the original post.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
I've been back and forth with Willie's voice-certainly not pretty, and I was at first a bit offended when he started doing show tunes, but he sort of makes it work when you get used to it, and he is a good musician. I saw an old video a while back of Willie, maybe 30 or so- he was wearing a suit and had slicked back hair, was singing sitting in a chair (no guitar)- I wouldn't have recognized him in a million years, but once he started singing his sinuses were immediately recognizable.
Willie is kind of like Dylan and Kristofferson in terms of singing. Hardly really talented singers but they can really put a song across. I have to add that when Willie did his “show tunes” albums it really opened me up to that kind of music. I had like no exposure to that stuff until Willie.