The best country singer . . .

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
They are all the best! Don't forget Keith Whitley!

Lefty left a great legacy in that many of the greats state their love, appreciation and inspiration from Lefty.

We all have our fav's....for me, it's Merle. I sure dig many of the ones listed here, but for me, Merle is the man.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
They are all the best! Don't forget Keith Whitley!

Lefty left a great legacy in that many of the greats state their love, appreciation and inspiration from Lefty.

We all have our fav's....for me, it's Merle. I sure dig many of the ones listed here, but for me, Merle is the man.

This is an impossible question, but I’ll +1 for Keith Whitley. Got better with every album but gone way too soon.

3rdworlder

Tele-Meister
Is that even a honest question. The BEST among the best country singers is George Jones.
Still, if you want to check other great singers and fantastic true-country voices here's some more other than the great Merle Haggard: Lefty Frizzel, Johnny Paycheck, Vern Gosdin, Mel Street, Gene Watson, Randy Travis, John Anderson, or 90s stars like Ken Mellons, and Wade Hayes.
'Cause a hat and a pair of cowboy boots doesn't mean some singer is country. The true-country singers' voice must have that unmistakable deep tone.
Now greatest female singers... Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, and Suzy Bogguss. Connie Smith, and Janie Fricke are also fantastic singers.