1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Best Amp You Played... but, Never Owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 4, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

It's funny, I love some classic AC30 players sounds, but I've played through a couple of reissues and own a Dr Z Stang Ray that's supposed to be voiced as an ideal AC30 clean for Mr Paisley; but I just can't find a voice in them that ilike.

OTOH I bought a new Orange AD30 that's a sort of revoiced AC30, loved that for dirt, and i more recently bought a hand built amp that's an AC30 power section and OT with a Tiny Terror preamp, which I love for cleans.

Something about the stock AC voicing I can't make sound good.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

???????????????????????????

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

The Ampeg it seems did not like his earlier amps due to the dirty sound but some are just really killer, and Dad never loved them.

For me it's before the 7591 but certainly the octal era, yet there were many and I haven't played them all.
    Poor guy changed them up monthly it seems trying to build an amp he liked, resulting in a few real winners.
    Had I think a late '50s Jet but maybe early '60s and next to my '57 Deluxe it brutally dominated, despite being pretty similar delicate little circuits. Got it as a bare chassis for $10 and had to give it a power cord and guess at the tubes, seemed to say Jet on the chrome and had three inputs in a row starting with mic and accordion.

I still have one of my V1 Reverberockets from I think 1961, octal pre and 6v6 power.
    Great but not super loud little screamer, the first amp ever with built in reverb AFAIK.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ah yes , the "wow! " moment . My first was in 1971 , a guy I knew was selling his '69 LP Custom . I went to check it out , he let me play it through his early Super Reverb. Had never heard such a pure tone . As it turned out I couldn't come up with the $350 he wanted for the Les . Never found another SR that sounded that good either . Later , in 1979 I went to check out a " Fender Deluxe Amp" I saw in the paper . It turned out to be a '62 Deluxe , I had never seen nor heard of a brown Fender amp . I had taken along my '57 Esquire to try it out and it was a match made in heaven . I turned the amp up to 5 or 6 and hit a note to sustain it and wow , to say the least ! Even the guy selling it raised his eyebrows when he heard it . It wasn't my amp then , but 10 minutes and $275 later it was . The sad thing is he also had a white Showman head for sale , but stupidly I passed on it .

Tele-beeb likes this.
  5. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

An early 1990s Fender Tweed Bassman Reissue 4x10" that belonged to a bandmate. I was playin' an alder and rosewood brown sunburst Fender American Standard Strat back then that sounded really good through that amp. The guitar cost $600 new in those days. Don't remember how much the amp was going for. Wish I still had that guitar.

Bassman.jpg
    Am Std Strat.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  6. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

A Splawn Quickrod head and 4x12 cab. This one has been on my wish list/bucket list for over a decade. I've never plugged in to anything else that was so responsive to my finger's touch and my pick's attack. Scott Splawn is (one of) the Stradivarius of tube amps.

His web page looks like a ten year old's class project, but the amps are killer.

https://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

I might need to settle for a Streetrod combo.

Tim S and Tele-beeb like this.
  7. telemnemonics

Those prices look pretty good too!
    Never tried one though...

Tele-beeb likes this.
  8. twimsatt

twimsatt TDPRI Member

Fender Ultimate Chorus. Fender's answer to the Roland Jazz Chorus. Luscious and crystalline chorus one 120W 2x12 combo. Unbelievably clean even at loud volume but could break up with the sweetest crunch I've ever heard.
    I played many while I was in pro-audio repair in the mid-90's.
    While the sound was amazing, the power and weight were too much for what I needed. Difficult to tame 120W just to get that amazing chorus. 2-12's made it weigh like a Marshall cab at half the height.
    Second choice would have been the Fender Hot Rod Deville. Again, way too loud. Amazing tone, though.

Tele-beeb and Electric Warrior like this.
  9. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

Years ago a buddy of mine left for a few month on tour and I had his prized Vox AC30 late 60is all original except the tubes. He said play the **** out of it just don't take it anywhere, so I did, played it all the time and it never left the house. Noisy and loud as all get out but damn that thing sounded so F'ing good!

JKjr and Tele-beeb like this.
  10. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

A amp that I really like the sound of but I’ve heard too many people having problems with is the red knob twin. I know most people have poor opinions of red knob fenders but I actually love the tone of the RK Twin Amp. They’re way too loud when you get the best sound but it’s a great sound. I decided to try one after hearing the tone Robin Ford got from them and I really love them but they’re too loud and too fragile.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

A Gibson BR3 that had been recapped and tweaked by Gar Gillies via telecaster with Bill Lawrence noiseless pickups. Truly most singular.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  12. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

An old DR504 through a matching old 412 with Fanes. Great amp. I felt like kicking myself when I stupidly missed buying one for $500.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister

I had one for a while but scaled back to my Deluxe Reverb, not even remotely similar. I miss that Shiva (1X12 Combo); probably the best I’ve ever had. Just too much amp for the venues fate has thrown my way. And it was heavy, like Twin Reverb heavy.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  14. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Blackface Twin Reverb with JBLs about 12 years ago. My 2000 52RI plugged into that amp was MAGIC. I offered him $2000 on the spot, but he wasn't selling.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

I showed up to a session a couple of years ago with my Carr Rambler -no slouch amp- fully expecting to use it on the song being recorded that day. When I arrived, the studio owner had already set up and mic'd his '66 Princeton Reverb so I plugged in and went with it. Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I offered to buy it on the spot, but he wasn't having it. According to him (unconfirmed by me) the CBS cost-cutting started with larger amps, so '66 PRs are actually "pre-CBS" even though they were manufactured and sold after they bought Fender. I have no idea if this is accurate, I'm not a historian, but I do know that the amp sounded incredible. When I went back for a mix session a few weeks later I tried to buy it agin, but....still no :)

Tele-beeb likes this.
  16. rickmidnite

rickmidnite TDPRI Member

Brand new Matchless JJ-30 sparkly blue. I knew the sales rep he even offered it to me for $1200 dealer cost I think in 92 and I turned him down! Too much at the time...Arghhhh

Tele-beeb likes this.
  17. ladewd

ladewd TDPRI Member

My buddy had an Ampeg Gemini 1 that was hot rodded. It was incredible sounding. Because of that I found a ‘66 Ampeg Reverborocket but it never sounded the same.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. Guitarpope

Guitarpope TDPRI Member

A blackface (can I say that) Bandmaster. Owned all the others but no Bandmaster

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. Guitarpope

Guitarpope TDPRI Member

That's what that amp was made for

Tele-beeb and Robert H. like this.
  20. Guitarpope

Guitarpope TDPRI Member

Larry Carlton was affilated with Valley Arts at about that time. That is what he used. Maybe one of his amps?:cool::)

Tele-beeb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.