1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Best Amp You Played... but, Never Owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Doctor Fauxcaster

Doctor Fauxcaster TDPRI Member

AC-30. played my 78 Gretsch Broadcaster thru it at the store. Could not afford it then-early 80s. Now that i can afford , can't lift it. Sigh. Gotta Bugera v-22 head thru a 1x 12 bottom now nice tones, even killer with filtertrons, pafs and some GFS tele pick-ups, but that darn thing was magic.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Vintage Super Reverb, it was a used one that came in at a shop I was teaching at.
    Just too heavy and too loud for me to actually own. Such a sweet sound though!

Tele-beeb and telemnemonics like this.
  3. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

A tie between a vintage Hiwatt/Sound City half stack and a Vintage SVT head with newer 810 cab, both times filling in at soundcheck.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. Rambo66

Rambo66 TDPRI Member

Christopher Cross's Dumbles. The most amazing 3-D clean sound ever. GORGEOUS! You could get clean feedback.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

A Princeton Reverb, I just can't afford one :cry:

(Well justify it anyway)

Tele-beeb likes this.
  6. vanimate

vanimate TDPRI Member

It was a long time ago but I can still remember like it was yesterday, Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For me, it was a '59 tweed Deluxe. Played it at a blues jam. It was sublime.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  8. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

I did some recording at my old guitar teacher's studio about 20 years back and used his band's guitarist's rig. A 200 watt Marshall Major... That thing sounded amazing!

Closest I managed to get for myself was a JCM800 1987 model, but it sounded nowhere near as spectacular as that old 200 watter.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  9. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’ve played a few great amps I’ve never owned but I think a Blackface Super Reverb that has a 60’s JBL D130-f in it was one of the best sounding amps I’ve ever played. I don’t know if it was a custom order or someone put the 15 in it but it had been in it for a long time. I still want to strangle the guy that owned it, he sold it for $500 a few years ago and never said a word to me about wanting to sell it lol

Tele-beeb likes this.
  10. Froggy

Froggy NEW MEMBER!

Marshall mark 2 100 watt with a 1936 cab
    Very special

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Bogner Uberschall!

Tele-beeb and KT89 like this.
  12. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

DRRI. I'll go buy one eventually.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

An old beat to hell JC 120. Archtop sounded like a dream through that.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

A Bogner Shiva is the best I have played through. In my local GC, don't remember if 1x12 or 2x12.

pippoman and Tele-beeb like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That's actually the last vintage Marshall I kept after selling off all the more valuable Plexi and early metal panels.
    Model 1986, made in 1974, so first year of the "pcb" Marshalls which is really a hand wired amp with the turret board portion having some traces connecting components and no turrets but still being almost all hand wired.
    The board really only holds the small components, not much circuitry there.
    Good value with these because they are considered pcb so 1/3 the value compared to 1973 and earlier otherwise same amps.
    It sits in my living room next to the TV, on a 1970 straight cab my wife gave me for Christmas.
    Got the cab empty with no tolex or grill cloth and painted black, 'nother survivor.
    The head is pretty clean aside from a removed FX loop with the jacks still onn the back not connected to anything.
    It's the less common one with three front panel switches including the polarity switch that only went on some amps, not sure why.

I had one, a '57, sold it to buy yet another 1970 Super Lead!
    Sold it to a friend who had a '59 Jazzmaster he only wanted the neck off of, got the loaded body for $300.
    My drummer made the little 5e3 screamer totally inaudible, even when combined with a BFDR.
    Really wasn't able to appreciate it then for what it was.
    Didn't appreciate the JM either.

Had one of those too, sold it to Rudy's music in NYC, a place for only the most fru fru gear, where they never gave me the time of day because I couldn't afford a new Matchless.
    Saw my small box 50 and just about pissed themselves with excitement, in the middle of the best amps money could buy.
    That one was IIRC made in '69 and was loud as hell but pretty clean all the way up.
    The small box for some reason makes people drool more?
    I bought it at MOJO on St Marks where it sat on a very rare tall 4x12, looked like a mini 8x10 Marshall cab and I've never seen another one. I think I paid $500 for the head and the cab was the same price, but Super Leads ran like $700 at the time so I put my money in the heads and built barn style cabs or repurposed other combo cabs.
    Blew a lot of Greenbacks, both the dollars and the speakers...

Paul G., branbolio and Tele-beeb like this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Vox AC15. Simple tastes.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

I used to love those amps and tended to own them in pairs.
    Two BFSRs in the '90s and two SFSRs in the early 2000s.
    Sold the last SF 15 years ago for pretty good money because it was a '67 black line drip edge cloth wired drooler.
    Tight set of CTS too!

branbolio and Tele-beeb like this.
  18. telemnemonics

If I have my history right it seems Buddy Guy favored the Bassman, and I had a chance to try a Victoria Buddy Guy sig model that looked like a Bassman, but looking closer had a quad of 6L6 and the massive OT like the Tweed Twin.

I've had a couple of Bassman RI but this thing was a whole nother animal, and is one of my two played but regrettably never owned amps.
    I never played a real '59 though and I'm pretty sure they sound better than the RI.

Never played a Tweed Twin either, and can't say if the V BG model was a Twin circuit or maybe a Bassman circuit with a bigger output section.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Blackface Vibro-Champ. One of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. Was playing a vintage single-cut Melody Maker through it. Heaven! This was about 17 to 20 years ago. The amp was $400 and the guitar was $800. I didn't have enough for either.

Tele-beeb and tubegeek like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

A 'quite old' Fender Twin than I played in the early 1980s. I knew very little about them at the time (not much more now if I'm honest!) but my Strat sounded amazing through it. It was a black faced amp, so may have been from the 1960s for all I knew.

Also played through my cousin's 100 watt Marshall stack (no idea exactly which model) again, sometime in the mid 1980s. A totally different amp to the Twin, but both were incredibly loud and played at a fairly high level...no wonder I have tinnitus these days. :oops:

Tele-beeb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.