1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Best Amp You Played... but, Never Owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 4, 2020.

1. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

I was also able to get some of the best sounds I've personally had, through a Fender Twin Reverb. It was the 1994 Evil Twin model specifically. Too often people incorrectly call the "Red Knob" Twin the evil twin, but it was actually the black knob model after it that is the Evil Twin (according to Fender, not them Internets). It has a high gain channel that is better than any gain channel I've played on an amp. You actually get legit, good distortion out of it. It sounds like an old 5E3 cranked way up, but with the muscle to blow out windows.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. Bandboy

Bandboy TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

My regular gigging amps for several years in the 90s was a 2x12 Ampeg portaflex and later model (not reissue) Reverberocket 2. Both are amazing amps and are still ridiculous bargains.

Tele-beeb and tubegeek like this.
  3. Bandboy

Bandboy TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I played one of those street festival gigs where the event provided a back line. I got placed in front of a somewhat current (90s) Twin Reverb. It had the most fetching glassy sound I had never encountered. It may have been the outdoors; the setting let me play it really loud.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe it was the era I came up in, with acres of black tolex and silver sparkle on stages, so for all time, it's the BF Super Reverb. It's like religion. Of course, I don't have one, so I can fantasize about it more easily that way. Many, many good memories.

Otherwise, a few moments here and there. yup, I had a wonderful time with one of those EC Tremolux amps and I had a recent era Richenbacker plugged into it and the sun came out from behind the clouds and vibrations glimmered in the light of the world and shooting stars tickled my peripheral vision.

also a SF Pro Reverb. hmmmm, hmmmm. that was nice.

for my own account, I have a BF Tremolux head, with a homemade 2X10 cab and it is my huckleberry.

thanks to all of you mooks for sharing your stories. I love them all.

elihu and Tele-beeb like this.
  5. BottyGuy

BottyGuy Tele-Meister

59 Bassman sounded great, but 4x10's made for a big heavy combo.

telemnemonics and Tele-beeb like this.
  6. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

In the late '80s I was home on leave from Fort Gordon, GA. Drove all the way to northern Michigan with my wife and 2 kids in a little toyota. While I was there I dropped in at a little music store and they had a BF Tremolux with the matching cab for $200. I plugged in some crappy tele-looking guitar, flipped the standby switch and Oh My! That thing sounded like the sound in my head. I had the money in my pocket to buy it, but I didn't think I should leave one of my kids with my Mom just so I could buy the amp and take it back to Georgia.

10 years later I found another and bought it, but it just wasn't quite the same. Probably different speakers, I never saw what the first one had in it.

7. Rooster-p

Rooster-p TDPRI Member

The best amp that I 've played and never owned had to be a fender twin reverb back in the early 70's and I remember because it was loud as hell.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  8. MikJr

MikJr TDPRI Member

1975 Mesa Boogie - Special ordered in High School - cream tolex, reverb, 5 band EQ, 12" or 64 Super Reverb my Mom bought me for 200 in Madrid Spain. Good old days.

9. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I played a gig back in 1982 with another band and used their guitarist’s amp: it was a late 1970s Fender Twin Reverb. Just fabulous!
    Until recently I still had a tape of that gig - sadly lost a year or so ago - and could still marvel at how great that amp sounded...

teletimetx and Tele-beeb like this.
  10. shokunin_84

shokunin_84 TDPRI Member

It was a Swart Atomic Space Tone. Played it two years ago and I am still saving for it. Best sounding amp I've ever heard or played through.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Get one.
    There's never been a better time.
    Listen to some Ronnie Earl and start scrimping.

12. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

+1. Over 50 years ago I borrowed a blackface Super Reverb for a gig. Still the best amp I’ve ever played through.

teletimetx and Tele-beeb like this.
  13. LuvMeATele

LuvMeATele TDPRI Member

I absolutely love the PRS Sonzera amps, but just have never been able to get enough money together all at once to get one. They sound freaking amazing.

Fourstringclover and Tele-beeb like this.
  14. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

1976 Fender Silverface Twin Reverb Amp. Borrowed it and a telecaster for a gig.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

Nice to see all the Twin Reverb love - they seem to get overlooked pretty often. A good player with a dialed-in Twin sounds big, beautiful and majestic.

16. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

Yeah, I wasn’t that good but I was loud!

Tim S, 63 vibroverb and Tele-beeb like this.
  17. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

Fender Bassman, with my Strat Plus.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

People who have never owned a Twin don’t really know how loud those things are cranked. If you’re in the same room you still won’t understand because of all the compression. They’re just as loud the next room over, and the next room, and so on. My advice? Don’t try it.

JKjr and Tele-beeb like this.
  20. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

Yesss! Played a Les Paul through one in a music store in London. Everyone stared! I knew it was the amp. Absolutely glorious!

TheDams and Tele-beeb like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.