1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Best Amp You Played... but, Never Owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 4, 2020.

1. winterland1973

winterland1973 TDPRI Member

Sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s I plugged into a Matchless 2x12 combo. Don't recall the model just recall my goosebumps and drool from the creamiest, shimmery tone I'd heard to date.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. ajstein64

ajstein64 TDPRI Member

I played a Bogner Shiva EL34 w/4x10 in a rehearsal studio in NYC. Wow, so so nice, cleans far better than any Marshall I ever played and glorious gain tones as you'd expect. I'm a Fender guy but if I had the $$ to spare and a situation where it'd fit, I'd grab one of these.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

Mesa Studio .22. Super sweet little thing.
    The Holy Grail for me would be a Dumble Steel String Singer.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. Atomicman

Atomicman TDPRI Member

In the early 80's I lived in Studio City, Los Angeles. My house just happened to be a couple blocks from an L.A. music store institution - Valley Arts Guitar. I needed a new amp for a gig - something bigger and louder (it was the 80's...haha). One of the shop dudes said, "You really need to check this one out." It was a...(drumroll)...Dumble. It sounded great, of course. When I asked him what's the price he said, $1900." My reaction, "Who the hell would pay that much for a guitar amp?" I bought a Super Reverb. I sold that a long time ago. I'm still stupid.

5. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A Hiwatt 1x12 combo loaded with a JBL E120. I'm not sure of the model. The sound punched you in the chest. It must have weighed 80 lbs.

6. RobSzat

RobSzat TDPRI Member

upload_2020-8-7_9-50-55.jpeg

Rootbeer Audio Philly 20. It’s based on a fender deluxe, but over built and in a had made cab. Saw it and feel in love, played it at a local pedal demo and couldn’t justify the price. Tried a bunch of other amps hoping to scratch the itch but nothing I tried stacked up.

Then my wife bought a fancy bag, so I made a call at picked it up later in the week!

not me in the demo, but I think that’s the exact unit I bought

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

Late 50-s fender pro amp. Played it through the 70's but it got more and more noisy as time went on and I am not a tube amp maintenance person. So traded for a Mesa Boogie, had for years and then traded for a Bruno amp. Now for guitar I think the best amp to play is a Deluxe Reverb . If I was still playing guitar out in a band, that would be my choice. I now primarily play pedal steel and like "clean" sound so i like Roland or Peavey. For "dirty"lap steel a Danelectro Dirty Thirty amp is a good choice (but man is it noisy).

Tele-beeb likes this.
  8. crb4726

crb4726 TDPRI Member

I had a roommate back in the early 70's who had a 64 Blond Fender Bandmaster with a single 15" JBL speaker. No reverb, no pedals and man that thing had super great sound!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  9. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

My brother owned a blonde '61 Showman with a 12" tone ring cabinet. He had picked it up in the mid-70s for a modest price at a local music store and it was a serious upgrade from the old Deluxes he had previously owned.

After nearly 30 years he sold it--he claimed it was too much amp for his needs. I was interested but couldn't afford it at the time.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  10. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Ha! So many amos, so little time!
    There have been a few; Fender Super Six, a Morgan interpretation of a Princeton, an Allston Dumbelina...
    Too many.
    A standout though was a Tone King Continental. Probably because it looked extremely cool. The sound was just glorious.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

Did some sessions about 25 years ago with the keyboardist's Mesa Boogie. Have no clue what model it was; he made some mailbox money and ordered it "like Charlie Daniels'". Warmest thing I ever heard.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  12. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

And old Fender Twin Reverb, amazing but too heavy for my back :)

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. rdwest1

rdwest1 TDPRI Member

Vox AC15 reissue. I’m an older guy and have owned way too many amps over the decades. But that Vox did it all. Natural compression. Great gain. Crystal clear if you wanted. Fender reverb is much better than (digital) Vox, but that is a minor, minor point.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  14. LittleSonny

LittleSonny TDPRI Member

'57 Bandmaster. Need I say more.

JKjr and Tele-beeb like this.
  15. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

1959 Tweed Bassman combo with 4 10s. My buddy owns it and only wants 12k for it. Way outta my range, but man does it sound great! He’d probably let me have it for 10k, but no can do. He also has a 56 Telecaster. He stripped it and sprayed clear lacquer on it back in the 60s. 10k last I heard. Must be his magic number.

telemnemonics and Tele-beeb like this.
  16. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

A5E3 is on my bucket list, along with an Esquire.

telemnemonics and Tele-beeb like this.
  17. mister2

mister2 TDPRI Member

Blueface Bandmaster. Vintage ??? Maybe tubes? Everything above my MIM Jaguar 9th fret would ring like a bell.
    Wish I had one now.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. davedederer

davedederer TDPRI Member

V. early Kendrick at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio outside Austin, 1995. I think it was a tweed Twin copy but don't recall exact configuration. Unbelievable huge clean sound but present and gritty and "not" clean at the same time.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

No I owned a few incredible sounding amps like a metropolis 50 W kit inside of a Marshall re-issue small box head, a real black face Viber lux and champ, JT and 45 reissue a 57 twin twin reissue, a silver face Super and an 18 watt clone. They all sound great but the one out that I did not own that I remember sounding really good was part of a set that has been bought in like 72 or 73 by a Baptist church in Miami for their music program. My best friend and his older brother attended that church and they both play guitar. It’s some point in like 75-77, The church got a new pastor and I’m guessing he didn’t particularly care for that type of hip music. He also had a hot legally blind 16 year old daughter who was an exceptional piano player, so she was the alternate music for the services were they weren’t using the organ. So my friends older brother scored this combo for a song which just happened To consist of a 72 or 73 three bolt Stratocaster in the standard Sunburst finish and the accompanying silver face deluxe reverb. Initially he was using some kind of little cheapo standalone amp that was much bigger than a cigarbox as an overdrive device. I guess he was kind of cascading the preamp section of that into the deluxe and it sounded OK. But one day after a couple of years of doing that he just plugs directly into the deluxe and cranks it. It’s only 22 W but it was clearly too loud for his bedroom but not for stage volume. It sounded incredible. Now the bad news was that his younger brother, my best friend, had found a twin reverb from the same era but the tolled been stripped off in the wood had been stained and someone had taken out the Jensen’s or oxfords whatever was in the amp originally and replaced it with a pair of hundred watt Electrovoice speakers. At the time, he was running a Japanese Strat copy that he had routed the bridge position for a DiMatzio humbucker. He was using a proco ratt For the front end and it sounded pretty good. Well he decided that if that deluxe sounded great cranked thenthe twin should sound better. Well, did sound good but you had to have a 50 foot cord and stand on the other side of the house in order to play it because it was just painfully loud in the spare bedroom they were using. LOL

pippoman and Tele-beeb like this.
  20. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

67’ Princeton.

Tele-beeb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.