1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Best Amp You Played... but, Never Owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 4, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

65 Amps Soho

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

There was a Vibroverb and an old Bandmaster I REALLY wanted because they both were in great shape and just completely serviced, but, alas, I couldn’t swing the deal...:(

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Vintage tweed Bassman. Accept no substitutes!

4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

In about 1973 I got to play a friend's Gibson Les Paul Special through his Marshall 1987 and 8x10" cab. I always wanted one but the cost went through the roof.

Bob

telemnemonics and Tele-beeb like this.
  5. TommyGunz

TommyGunz Tele-Meister

I went to go sit in with a band in Oshkosh Wisconsin, and the guitar player Bobby had a 66 super reverb. Blew my mind.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

My hand built Allen Sweet Spot.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. dogrocketp

dogrocketp TDPRI Member

I have a friend who has a Goodsell Mark Vll. Magic blues tone if you can ride the volume knob on your guitar. I have a PRS 2 Channel 30 that had to come home with me after 5 seconds of hitting a chord. The PRS is my absolute favorite with one problem. I’m North of 65, and so is the weight of the amp. If there are no stairs, my collapsible hand truck and I are good to go. If it’s a 2 flight carry up, there has to be a lot of dough involved. I’m too old for crazy load ins.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  8. Keep on Truckin

Keep on Truckin TDPRI Member

A 1968 Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp -shopping for a Real Amp in 1968 I played my 67 Vox Super Lynx Deluxe thru this amp over an hour at the local Music store, loved it ! Couldn't afford it ,bought a Gibson Ranger instead !

elihu and Tele-beeb like this.
  9. tfillingi

tfillingi TDPRI Member

I own my favorites. BF Twin Reverb- 2 Altec 12's, BF Deluxe Reverb- JBL K 12" and the best of all BF Princeton Reverb with an early JBL D110 speaker!!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  10. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

I played through some hand-wired amps at Orange HQ on Denmark St. in London once. They were pretty proud of them.

I like my own amps better, though. I traded Cliff Cooper a couple of Carr amps for two small Orange amps once. Brush with greatness.

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

In '75 I sold my vaguely Telecaster shaped first guitar to a friend for £12. He did not have a guitar, but wanted to meet girls and his uncle had given him an old amp. I took along my recently purchased Kasuga Strat copy and spent a most enjoyable afternoon playing through his early '60s Vox AC10. I have never seen one since. When I met my friend again some 25 years later he told me that the guiatr and amp had been stolen after a couple of years, so he became a mobile DJ which he claimed was even better for meeting girls.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  12. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

1966 Fender Showman 15

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. Brian Donlan

Brian Donlan NEW MEMBER!

'73 Super Reverb with -12dB attenuator .. also Victoria VickyVerb

Tele-beeb likes this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Funny...this was a widely-accepted truth for some time (one still held by me), but the internet seems to be liking the high powered tweed Twin these days.
    They're more rare, more expensive and Joe B favors them.

15. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

1) Fender ‘57 40W Tweed Twin, might’ve been the Clapton signature one. Either way definitely a reissue and definitely blew my mind. If it hadn’t been for the steal I got on a beat up Vibro King that was literally found in a dumpster on the Warner Brothers lot, rumored to be a “prop” from the Drew Carey show and possibly played through by Joe Walsh on the “Drewstock” episode....which I later sold,...and I’ll stop right there.

2) Swear to Pete - Genz Benz Black Pearl 30W 2x12, kind of a modern take on an AC-30 that I got to jam on in Hans Zimmer’s studio, which was gifted to him after the Pirates Of The Caribbean score was complete(Black Pearl, get it?). Uglier than sin and yes from that bass amp company but I swear that thing sounded incredible.

3) 70's Carvin X100B Series III head with the curved C logo. EL34 Plexi-Eater with 7-band Graphic EQ. It seriously blew every Marshall I'd heard outta the water. CHEAP too.

4) Vox Brian May Signature VBM1 - A little solid state "recording amp" based on an amp he made from stereo parts. Absolutely killer little monster that you could even drive an extension cab with.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  16. singlecoil

singlecoil Tele-Meister

Back in the 80's we opened a couple of shows for a big time country act and I had to play through the fiddle players narrow panel deluxe. I've always wanted one since but just never got one. Owned several nice amps in my life currently using a black line drip edge vibrolux reverb that sounds wonderful but the Deluxe is the one that got away from me!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  17. 2after909

2after909 Tele-Holic

I have two.

The first one is very easy: my friend's '59 Tweed Deluxe. It's a religious experience to be in the room with that thing.

The second amp was more of a pleasant surprise. I was on tour in Spain back in maybe '06. Just about 12 shows, touring in a van, making almost no money, etc. We did have a tour manager/driver, though, and the record label was supplying backline gear. I was the only guitar player in that band, which I've always found puts a lot of spotlight on yoru amp. I had a choice between a master volume twin (don't like those) and a vintage Engl. I initially reluctantly said I'd take the twin and the guy was like, "Maybe you want to try the Engl, no?" Used it every night on that tour and it was one of the best amps i ever played through. Beautiful clean sound. My rig was just that amp, my 335, and an old Boss OD-1 as a boost. That band had a very jangly 60s-inspired type sound, but that amp made me want to jam and stretch out a bit more. I didn't pay attention to gear at all back then, so I don't know the model of the amp. It may have been a 212 Classic Tone 50.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. Gretschy

Gretschy TDPRI Member

A Victoria 35310. I was at a GC (of all places) to pick up my all original ‘64 Super Reverb that I had spent several years searching for, so I had money in my pocket. Needless to say, I brought the Super home but that Victoria has been on my wishlist ever since.

I also played a Seafoam Green Tele through a Vox AC15 limited edition Mahogany that was an incredible combination! I already have the AC30 version of that amp but that 15 turned down to 7 watts with that guitar was the dog’s bollocks! Should have bought them both!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue at a GC. I know it’s nothing special, but to me, man! It sounded amazing with the Tele I had pulled off the wall there. I did end up spending a grand on my setup but went digital with a Helix (mainly for the flexibility and variety).

Tele-beeb likes this.
  20. Da Sting

Da Sting NEW MEMBER!

A friends' Dumble ODS 50, german import combo (Applied Acoustics case), late 70s... serial 30something... Altec speaker. Ruined my amp taste for life. :))

Tele-beeb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.