The Best Amp You Played... but, Never Owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 4, 2020.

1. SlimGrady

SlimGrady TDPRI Member

Definitely an original 60's Black Face super reverb in a guitar shop in Lexington. That thing oozed tone.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

2009 Fender '57 tweed twin re-issue., handwired, with two transformers. Milkshake thick tones., sweet cleans.

3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I once played a 1972 Super Reverb a friend owned; I did not get a chance to turn it up loud enough to get the tubes cooking, though.

He also had the piano black 5e3 re-release from Fender. That sounded good too.

4. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

It's a long long time ago now, but I remember being in a rehearsal room and someone had left a strange looking half-stack that was being 'picked up later, but he won't mind you having a go'...

I have no idea who 'he' was, but the funny-looking half-stack was an 'anonymous' 4x12, with no badge or anything, and a pretty scruffy head that had an ugly tin nameplate on it, 'NARB'. The front panel layout looked like standard '4-hole Marshall', if I recall correctly. So, I had a 'go', as you would...and...wow!

Very loud and sweet, is my subjective and time-fogged recollection.

Of course, decades I later found out that these amps were basically Marshall Plexi's but re-badged to avoid some sort of legal wrangling that Marshall had going on at one time. I think they were shipped out of the back door, under the radar... NARB is just the surname of Marshall designer Ken Bran reversed.

But it sounded so, so sweet, and I would have swapped my Plexi for it there and then. Obviously, that didn't happen. This would have been around 1980/81, I think.

No idea why it sounded so good, but it did.

5. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee TDPRI Member

The heritage mahogany AC30 at Ohm Recording Facility in Austin. Gave me fits how good it sounded strung up in dual mono with my Mark I and led me on a wild goose chase that ultimately ended in tears. No other Vox I've played sounded as good as that amp.

6. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

A 60s brown princeton,with a 70s Les Paul special. back when the amp was probably 100 bucks.

Wally likes this.
  7. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted

Some years ago I was passing through Chicago and I stopped in at CME. I wanted to try a guitar out and I went into an amp room and plugged into a Friedman. I dont know what model it was and at the time I'd never even heard of Friedman amps. Holy crap did that amp sound insanely good! I remember checking the price tag on it and I was like, holy crap that's expensive!

8. Muttly

Muttly TDPRI Member

Rivera Venus 6...
    Whew!!!!
    Good Lord, y'all!!! An amp that sounded so good, just tuning up bring a tear to your eye!!
    Looking at the price tag, also bring a tear to your eye, so...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.