1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Best Amp You Played... but, Never Owned?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Aug 4, 2020.

1. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't remember the model, but this one old Supro amp sounded just stupid good!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

A 18 watt 2x10 Bad Cat with Reverb at the Arlington TX Guitar Show in early 2000's.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Swart probably.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Two come to mind.

The first was a Groove Tubes Soul-O 75 head and 4x10 cabinet that had custom tool leather. It was at a local GC in the late 90's. It had been special ordered for someone who refused delivery whatever reason so they were selling it for a $750. It was a very nice amp but rather loud so I hesitated even though I was pretty flush with dot-com and Y2K consulting bucks at the time. Someone else snapped it up soon afterward.

The other was a Victoria Vicky Verb I tried out at a rather hoity-toity guitar store. It had a really nice sound and a really big price tag.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Ampeg VT-40 4x10 60 watt combo guitar amp. Transparent and present and in that 4x10 way, clear, loud, easy to get a useful sound out of.

On bass, an Ampeg SVT with 8x10 cab at gig volume. The real deal

Tele-beeb likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

mine was probably one of the handwired deluxes that fender put out a couple of years ago. i was playing an es-339 through it and i consider that to be the finest guitar noise i ever made. all of blues rock and classic rock right there in my hands. but i never played a strat through it and that 339 made anything sound awesome. wish i had kept it!

before that, the best i can remember was a bruno cow tipper.

7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

70s OR-120s and OR-80s through orange 4x12s. have used them in studios, at the time i didn't have the cash for them. now i could probably build one, but i don't exactly have a use for them. i've thought about making 15-30 watt versions in the past though.

8. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

Carr Mercury

9. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

A friend's 1979 Mashall JMP Mk II.

10. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

1. I have never owned a "good" amp per say. I wish I could afford one. I just got my first electric 7 months ago. I love it. I want want want a "good" amp, one of these days. Played acoustics for 30 years. Never elec. I'm a lefty so it's not been easy. I think I have opened a new box recently and have learned so much from playing an electric. I plug into a cheap amp and make it work(home use only)! I love plugging into a nice tube amp any chance I can. One of these days I know I wil get onel. Too many health and financial issues right now so I'll be happy with what I have. It's wonderful just to be able to play with what I have. Keep on pickin!!!! Twin reverb or vibrolux would be nice one day!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  11. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I once plugged into a B-52 AT-100 head through a 4X12 cabinet in a guitarshop, while waiting for my frettless bass' maintenance. I ended up spending the whole afternoon in there. It's a three chanel Mesa dual rectifier style amp, not something I would be interested in normally, but it was warmed up, and I plugged in. It had a chrystal clear clean channel, and two separate were distinctively different od channels. I was tempted to buy it, but my tiny attick can't store a giant like that, not to mention I could tear down walls with it.

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

'67 DR

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Brown 6G2

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.