The Best Acoustic Guitars These Days

kristen

Tele-Meister
Do you bend a lot of strings with blues licks , get the J45 , smaller scale length better for bending.

For fast scale runs and strumming for bluegrass, get a martin.

For more mid rangey singer- songwriter stuff (non blues), get a Taylor.

That should put you in the ballpark.

rockinstephen

Tele-Meister
I have a Martin HD28 made in 2010 that I bought new from a local dealer that was going out of business for their cost. Since it was from a dealer I have the lifetime warranty. It's a canon and sounds as good as a most of the vintage Martin's I have heard. I had a LR Baggs pickup system with the individual transducers for each string installed when I got it as well. They pick up the sounds of the wood so it sounds about as good plugged in as on a mic. If you are looking for a more budget friendly acoustic I don't think anyone as mentioned Blueridge guitars. They are very close to the sound of Martin's at a fraction of the price. I have owned a few of them but sold them off when I got the HD28. Blueridge actually took some Martin's apart so they could duplicate the bracing for their guitars.
Ah! Someone finally mentioned Blueridge. I have 2, a BR-180 and a BR-140-12 Yes, they are made in China but are of excellent quality and all solid woods. I call the 180 a "poor man's D-45" as it is highly ornamented, perhaps with a bit too much "bling" for some. The 140-12 (12 string) isn't as fancy but is still very nice. The last I knew, Blueridge offered a huge line of guitars at very competitive prices.

On a different note, I have an Ovation Custom Legend that I've had since about '89. Ovations aren't for everyone, but have always been a good road guitar.

squirt

TDPRI Member
My luthier says Martin is putting out some of the best guitars they have ever built.

My D28 needs a neck reset. He told me to sell it and get a new Martin because it would never be as good as what is out there now.

I was speechless.
The entire Martin Standard line got a re-vamp starting with the D18 in 2012 & 000-18 shortly after, and finally completing the D-28, D-35 and higher in the last few years. Unless your D-28 is pre-1969 (and Brazilian), these are better guitars. Amazingly better.

John_B

Tele-Meister
Taylor's are to bright and too balanced except for the 800 series. The 800 series are the best I have ever heard and played. What an instrument!

I would love to play a rose wood Larvee dred.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
"Best" is a subjective term. Everyone has different needs and requirements for their instrument.

Considering my obsession with technology and my laziness when it comes to humidification, I am looking at Carbon Fiber guitars.
Humidification is too much like a job that comes with owning a nice acoustic and I just don't want to work that hard these days ;)

I have been looking at the Emerald Guitars X7 or the X10.

C-X7-Pau-Ferro-HyVibeTrinity-7675-1.jpg

Last edited:

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
There are boocoodles of fine acoustics. I have a Martin DJr 10, 2 Eastmans E10 OM, E30 DT OM, recently bought a Martin custom shop 15 that I hated everything about it and returned it. Thinking about getting a Guild M-20. I'm no super-high$/vintage buyer, just a lil ole/old couch player nowadays

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
Taylor's are to bright and too balanced except for the 800 series. The 800 series are the best I have ever heard and played. What an instrument!

I would love to play a rose wood Larvee dred.
When I decided on my Larrivee L-05, with Mahogany back and sides, I actually had my heart set on a D-09, Rosewood. But while A/B comparing them there was an immediate bond with the L body and the 1 3/4” nut. Never looked back and now that it’s 22 yrs. old, it sounds even better. I’d still love to have a dread though.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
I don't know. There are so many 12 string acoustic guitars to pick from these days, but I really like Guild F512 12 strings.

They are perfect for any guitar collector, especially those who are as obsessed with The Byrds as I am.

Ian111

TDPRI Member
I might own a 000-18, D28, J45 or even a boutique build one day but I imagine I’ll still play and really love playing my Martin DJR10 every day. Amazing how much I love this $500 guitar.

Last edited:

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I've been reading a lot about Larivees...I'm really considering buying one of these as my next acoustic purchase. I'm still open to a Martin D-18 or D-28, but the Larivees seem to be as good for a little less cash.