1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The best $43 I ever spent

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by cntry666, Oct 9, 2018.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

This is actually the second time I’ve bought this pedal. I absolutely had to have another for my big board. I usually run clean and use pedals but even through the dirty channel of an amp you cannot go wrong with this pedal. An overdrive with an independent boost for $43? Absolutely. I’ve used T-Rex, Fulltone, Lovepedal and everything boutique but this beats them all. If I could only have one pedal this would be it. Worth checking out if you need a boost or extra grit. Cheers.

IMG_2141.JPG

2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Cool, Thanks for the heads up, glad to hear it works so well for you. I'll have to check one out!

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I searched YouTube and didn't see a demo of this pedal. It would be good to hear one, hint, hint...

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm... Looks familiar, but I can't place it....

AmpElevenGOLDphoto.jpg

DeVilleDude, Fearnot, rich815 and 9 others like this.
  5. John How

John How Tele-Meister

The Chinese are pretty good at that...I have a couple me own self, not this one in particular but I do have a couple pedals that work for me and I don’t think I spent more than $20 on each...they may be clones of something but I don’t know what...a clean boost, a delay a verb and a tuner all micro sized makes a nice tidy little grab and go board...

6. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Pretty much exactly haha

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Ordered mine....s/b here soon! You can go direct with this too can’t you?

cntry666 likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Just ordered one 30 seconds ago after reading your description.

cntry666 likes this.
  9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Mosky has two different ones, a blue one and the green one that you have. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, and I'm resisting trying either of them, 'cause I already have two drawers full of unused overdrive pedals, and if I buy any more, I'm gonna have to make space in a third drawer for some.

10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

After looking at them I see that the blue one has two mini switches that the green one doesn't have. I assume one is to switch between boost before drive or boost after drive, but I don't know what the second switch is for.

11. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the new pedal x2

12. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I love it when they rip off the rip off.

Tone Eee likes this.
  13. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I’d really like to know how you like it. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I would think you can go direct

15. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

That's what I figured, but the switches on mine don't make any discernible difference. It's a great sounding pedal, and gets really close to the sound of an Amp11, I just wish I hadn't paid the few dollars extra for the Placebo Switches!

DougM likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't even have it yet and I'm already not disappointed!! Mine's coming from Malaysia and cost $31.22 shipped. It might not get here until Thanksgiving, but that's fine.

cntry666 likes this.
  17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I’m so tempted. But I really hate the audio and dc jack locations.

valvestate likes this.
  18. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Well, I gave in to my GAS and bought one of the green ones (Amp Turbo) even though I don't like the jack positioning. First impressions from playing it through my non-Reverb Princeton clone:

The Boost is superb. Big, clean, clear, great headroom - really a winner. I think the boost alone is worth the full price of the pedal (I paid $45). Assuming that this is an Amp 11 copy, that would make the Boost a COT50. But, on the bottom of the pedal, there is a sticker that says Crackle Okay, which suggests it might be a SHO (that was Zachary Vex's line). But to my ear, it is different and way better sounding than a SHO. No matter really - it sounds great.

The overdrive is "pretty good". I sort of have the same feeling about the MM Silver - just pretty good. I can find sounds I like when the gain is at 9 o'clock or lower. Above that, the overdrive is a bit too fuzzy / fizzy for my taste. I think I need to stop buying Timmy style pedals.

If I use the boost and the overdrive together, set carefully, I can get some wonderful tones. But this is mainly when the level is significantly boosted - ie: way way louder than bypassed. I don't typically use an overdrive pedal to push the amp that hard - especially because some of my other pedals don't have the headroom to be pushed by the overdrive to that extent without some nasty artifacts.

So, all in all, I am not sure if this pedal will get used. I will take it to the blues jam this week and see how it performs. I bought it from Amazon, and I suppose I could return it. But the boost is so good, I probably won't, even if I don't use the OD side much. We'll see.

I like Timmy related pedals a lot when set for very low gain, but not so much when the gain is cranked up a bit (not that much really). For medium gain, I get better results for my taste from Bluesbreaker types (my KOT copy and my Mooer Blues Crab for example).

Time to purge a few of my unused overdrives.

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Second impressions:

Never play a clean amp at low volume with a dirt pedal, and expect it to sound smooth. :)

I plugged in my Amp Turbo again and cranked up my Princeton today. Not very cranked - about 10:30 o'clock. The cleanish tones from the overdrive channel of the Mosky with the gain set at 9 o'clock were great, and the driver tones up to about gain of 11:30 o'clock were very pleasing. Not so fuzzy/fizzy as when I was playing the amp quieter. I think that is a usable range for me. I don't need to be able to push the gain pot to 3 o'clock to be happy - as long as the lower gain settings yield tones I like, and they did.

BTW, in case you are wondering, this pedal draws 5ma with zero or one channel engaged, and 6ma with both channels engaged. That is because of the LED I am sure since the board will be drawing current regardless of whether a channel is on or off.

So, I think this may be better than I first thought. And I still love the boost. I need t rig this pedal up to my small board for tomorrow's blues jam so I can give it a real world test. I have a Nano+ board and all of my other pedals have their in/out jacks on the sides. So some rewiring will be needed. And I don't want to eliminate the Blues Crab, so I also have to make some space. Form factor and jack placement are still a bit inconvenient for my current pedalboard layouts, so there is some work to do.

I'll try it through my Bassman later today as well. I am expecting it to be a beast into that amp (in a good way).

20. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Now that I have figured out how to dial it in with my rig, I am liking the Mosky Amp Turbo much more than I initially thought. So I've wired it up for action.

Here it is on my small board, which I will take to the weekly blues jam tomorrow night:

[​IMG]

Signal chain = Right to left:
    • Donner DT-1 tuner
    • Monoprice Compressor (copy of Mooer Yellow Comp, Diamond Compressor)
    • Mosky Amp Turbo (Lovepedal Amp 11 copy, but you knew that already)
    • Mooer Blues Crab (Marshall Bluesbreaker copy)
    • Mosky Blue Delay (Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay copy)
    • Mooer SkyVerb (not sure that it is a copy of anything in particular)

I have it set as follows:
    • Amp Turbo set rather cleanish - gain at 9 o'clock, Boost on minimum, but it's enough to push whatever comes next.
    • Blues Crab set pretty crunchy.

So, for really clean, I can use just the boost. For clean-ish, I can use just the overdrive channel of the Amp Turbo. For crunchy, I can use just the Blues Crab. And when using either just the overdrive channel or only the Blues Crab, hitting the boost will give me just a bit "more". Should cover all of my bases nicey.

On the bottom, I use components from TheGigRig to provide power distribution and isolation, and a 20100mAh power bank to supply the whole system. The 5v - 9V converter (small box lower right corner) is something I build from a cheap PCB that I get online. Total power consumption of about 400mA. Battery run time calculates to about 21 hrs, and I am quite sure it will come close to that run time.

[​IMG]

valvestate and kevsonic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.