The Beginning Of The End - The Existential Psychodrama In Country Music 1956-1972

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Texicaster, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That looks cool as heck. What label?

3. blowtorch

looking at google, looks like maybe Omni? I see Bear Family has carried it

Texicaster likes this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Curious collection. I only recognize some of it and I'm old. I like the album title but philosophically at least, the beginning of the end of one thing is usually the beginning of something else. Country music has changed (progressed to some, degenerated to others) in waves, but the genre has continually reinvented itself. One thing that remained constant through the changes in instruments and styles is that it's not a real country song without a story line. The waves, to me, kept the genre fresh and interesting. If there is a real beginning to the end, it's what's begun in this decade. The story has vanished to be replaced by the hook. This is something very different from what came before. The hook is what draws the listener into pop music. A hook isn't a story, it's something much shorter lived. It's the one line message, or a feeling in the absence of real emotion. What bothers me about what is marketed as country music these days is that much of it is emotionally immature. Songs sung by male vocalists seem to be variations on the "let's get drunk and hook up in the back of my truck" theme. There's no story. There's a hook(up) or a connection and it's over. I listen to what we usually think of as country music that spans six or seven decades. Styles have changed much like the wave that crashes on the shore is followed by the next one. What's happening now is more like the ocean is drying up. I haven't given up on music. There are a lot of new artists with stories to tell, mostly in the "alt" genres like alt country, alt folk, and Americana which was probably the original alt country. It's just that it feels like this REALLY is the beginning of the end.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Toast, 8trackmind, Teleterr and 5 others like this.
  6. blowtorch

What is that all about? Any examples of bands you'd call alt folk?

7. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Bravo!

8. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Yep... But out of print I think. I checked locally and they couldn't get it but found on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B5Y3PDM/?tag=tdpri-20

9. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I like the Magnetic Fields. I don't consider them alt folk, but I have heard them described that way.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Looks interesting. The subtitle of this collection seems to be
    a little too intellectualized, but the track list is intriguing.
    I'll have to look out for a copy. Contemporary Country Music doesn't interest me at all, but i do enjoy the old stuff.,, a lot.

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

and off i go to soulseek!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

oh man that bobby grove track is outstanding.

13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I can not find the actual music anywhere, what am I doing wrong, I'm an avid YouTube subscriber, joined Amazon Music yesterday, and paid for ad free enjoyment of the Allmusic database. The database ( wiki like) info AllMusic is the only reference to this album I can find. If it's vinyl, I'm in the wind, lost in the jungle, whatever you want to call it, otherwise I can play everything but 8 track ( and platters). Help me please, I've fallen and can't find my turntable.

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Very well put, JL! Your sentiments reflect mine. The hook “hooks” ‘em, and then by natural succession, “hooks” your money. It’s all about the almighty dollar unfortunately.

I was listening to a classic country mix a couple years ago, and my wife admitted to me that she likes that “older country.”
    I was a bit surprised, and I asked her what she liked about it. She said she likes the fact that the song tells a story.

I admit that I never was a big country fan. None of my friends listened to it when we were younger. But, I always appreciated the genre, and I was drawn to certain songs throughout the years. I don’t recognize any songs on that list, and I’ll be 64 this week.

I have to post one of my favs. Talk about a story line!

Toast likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like the Monochrome Set.

Few have ever described that (UK) band using any of these terms. Genres are in many ways, a bunch of hooey.

Toast likes this.
  16. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I haven't heard that band. I'll check them out. Thanks.

17. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I think country music has been hurt by the disappearance of the middle class in the US. When I hear contemporary country music (I don't listen to it much so I'm probably missing lots of good stuff), it comes off to me as suburban music a la Jimmy Buffet rather than country music. A friend of mine used to always say that Rock n' Roll pretends to be edgy and unconventional when it's as mainstream as apple pie while country music always tries to be mainstream, but is too hill-billy to make it. I'd say it's finally made it to mainstream and become as boring as everything else mainstream. "Let's give 'em somethin' to talk about . . ." yawn. I'm sure as the fortunes of the US decline; we'll see country music transformed into something interesting again. Oh jeez, I'm falling into the old dude trap of "music was so much better in the old days". :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    JL_LI likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Good art seldom comes from a place of complacency.

Toast likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think we're just oversaturated, more than that other stuff.

20. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Something else to consider . . .

We have the genre of Country Music. But what is a music genre in the age of the internet? Country music may have its origin in a region--the countryside, but do those regional characteristics persist when music, in the modern age, predominantly exists on the internet? We often listen to it there, store it there, we even create it there (or probably will soon). A musician's audience today is as much an amalgamation of people on the internet as it is an audience of local music lovers. <--(I'm unsure about that, to be honest.) Nevertheless, I think the whole project of categorizing music into a genre is trickier in the information age. Country Music? Which country? Which countryside?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.