The "Bedroom Amp" question. Help me understand ?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Aug 16, 2018.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

My take is that it's all a matter of expectations. For players that gig, it appears the goal is typically to try and recreate the gig tone at a much lower decibel level. In cases like mine, where I don't gig and only play for my enjoyment inside a small office at home, I keep the volume level very low (just above normal conversation level) in order to be fair to my wife and child. I'm quite content with my setup to accomplish this. I find it straightforward and intuitive for a basic guitar player.

My setup is, at the moment:
    1. Guitar into a EHX Green Russian reissue BMP into a Zoom G3xn that emulates (very well to my ear at low volume) various pedal I use infrequently
    2. a Vox pathfinder 10 (with the 150 Hz low frequency cut removed), using the speaker out
    3. into the 8 inch speaker cabanet from a non functional Fender G-Dec Junior.

My reasoning is that I make up for the weakness of the Pathfinder's speaker with the sealed 8 inch cabinet, and still get some punch. The Zoom costs what a decent room reverb pedal and a decent analog delay would cost. The emulations and presets permit me to load up good approximations of tones for songs I like to play and practice playing. I don't even use the amp models as the Vox takes the pedals well. The looper in the Zoom is a bonus for practicing over progressions.

Just my 2 cents.

MilwMark likes this.
  2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

The ultimate solution to the whole thing, IMO (and something I'd love to do one of these days), is to soundproof a small closet and put the amp in there, mic it, and run the output into a monitor and adjust that volume to wherever you want it. Crank the amp to ungodly levels, creating the real overdrive signal chain from output tubes and speaker, and listen to it at conversation levels, just like we do with recorded tracks from our favorite artists.
    Instead of the soundproof closet, a good isolation cabinet may work too.
    That way you aren't missing out on any aspect of the live sound, with the exception of the big room size.

3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

And for those who have to make the wife happy it could look like a nice chest of drawers !!!!

RLee77 likes this.
  4. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's

Let's face it, we like buying musical equipment. The rest is just excuses.

5. robinsong

robinsong Tele-Meister

The lunch box jr and pedals is a perfect candidate for low volume.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. robinsong

robinsong Tele-Meister

The fender champion 20 is also a great low volume amp and headphone out is stereo.

7. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

That's exactly the reason that I traded in my VHT Spec. 6 Ultra for my current Yamaha THR 10C. It has a headphone jack. Happy wife, happy life.

8. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Exactly. I have on bedroom converted to a small studio/office. Had my Champ on about 5 the other day playing along to some tracks coming out of my monitors. Wife came all the way across the house and yelled at me to turn it down. She could not hear the TV.

9. Woollymonster

It's really a pretty simple concept, isn't it?

10. Woollymonster

Here is a good one for stage and bedroom

11. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Because we all don't like the same thing. The inverse could be asked of you. Why do you need a 100 watt bedroom amp?

12. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Nobody needs that, but it saves us from buying another amp especially when the big boys sound better at low volumes anyway.

I only play at home and am currently using an Orange AD30. Before that I had a Twin Reverb, and before that I had a 100 watt JCM 800. They all sound better at low volumes than any lower wattage amp I have ever tried or heard.

I used the AD30 last night with my dog sleeping not fifteen feet away and he didn't even bother to get up to see what was going on.

Telecastoff1 and TubeBlues like this.
  13. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I think it's important to have the right amp for any room/venue. This way, I have to buy more amps.
    My wife questions the validity of this argument. However, she has confessed that she finds the Pignose to be "cute".

14. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have always wondered the same. I can also play my amplified guitars at, or lower than, normal TV volume, or speaking volume, and they sound fine to me. In fact I often listen and watch TV while playing. Been playing since 1957 and have yet to see an amp without a volume pot.

Also during all those years I have never played in the bedroom. Den, basement, family room, etc. yes, but never in a bedroom. Seems a strange place to play guitar.

Telecastoff1, colchar and Bill like this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

16. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

I'm looking for a good bedroom amp that goes good with my footy pajamas. Flannel covered with a trap door in the back. (The amp not my PJs).

17. TubeBlues

TubeBlues Tele-Meister

This has been the ultimate quest.
    From my limited experience (my wallet disagrees), you need to consider two things:
    Where are you going to play?
    What are you going to play along with?

For me, the biggest issue is not managing the volume of the amp, it's the volume from the music playing on my Hi-Fi VS my amps.
    In a living area, it's always annoying.

I ended up dedicating a room, where I can go to the basement and close the door.
    I still play quiet, but I can manage it better.

Some amps also have a very agressive volume taper. My HRD goes from nothing to too loud real quick.

Also, I tried smaller, cheaper amps. A bigger, better amps has always sounded better at low volumes.
    You'll hardly get away from the issue of the speaker not pushing enough air, but that's the deal.

To me, a Princeton is ideal because you can put pedals trought it, and the volume taper is very smooth.
    You need to try the amps, some sound dog **** at 1, some sounds fine.

18. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Would you settle for this ?

357949-9d94002c125ddc12bb5127160bc3a3a3.jpg

Bob Arbogast likes this.
  19. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wyzsard likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.