1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The "Bedroom Amp" question. Help me understand ?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Aug 16, 2018.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Damn right...

The right hand is your distortion. Left hand is your sustain. Once this is mastered, one can play at any volume...

Just quoting Mike Bloomfield, by the way.

Many players don't get it. Hands produce whatever you want them to do. Bedroom or stadium level.

2. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

The term bedroom amp can imply a smaller amp with low power rating, and tiny speaker. Yes, a monster amp will fit in a tiny room for potential practice. ;)

Some bands do not carry a PA. And, some venues do not have a PA. That leaves a (PA) void in some cases.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

My house is kinda long and thin. I can play pretty loud, before my wife notices.......

If I had an apartment, or sleeping kids, I'd pull out the old Cube 15 and plug into the headphone jack.

JustEd and beagle like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, a PR a bedroom amp. And depending on the pot taper can be quite loud at 3 on the dial. Not condoning police calling at 7:30pm over what was likely just loud home stereo level sound, mind you.

5. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

I use a Pignose. Works well for me.

MyLittleEye, MisterZ and tery like this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

IMO a "bedroom amp" is one that is never played louder than TV volume .

JustEd, Honest Charley and MilwMark like this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does a woman live there? If one does = your my hero and I need pointers.

8. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I can't help but like this reply

MilwMark likes this.
  9. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I rarely gig, and when I do it's at church where everyone plays through the PA.

At home, I want something that doesn't take up the whole room, doesn't cost $4k, and will break up at volumes appropriate for home.

10. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

me too..dsl40cr made into head...20/40 watt and res & pres...from barely audible to lets rock levels..by far the most versatile amp i ever saw..has blues-jazz-metal..all in it...it can be clean and dirty ... also pedals well and loves a TS in any channel the old school way..level up tone to suit and maybe a tiny bit of gain..also..emulated line out...footswitchable from clean to crunch to med crunch to sustaining leads..keeps tone consitant from low levels to high...can do plexi-very close (treble & bass side)

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 is on the edge of being useful at home. My personal judgment of useful at home is that I can sing over the amp without a mic. I can do that pretty well with judiciously set up Clean and Blues channels. I play mostly finger style. At the same settings it gets pretty loud with the bridge pickup of my Telecaster played clean with a flat pick. At an at home volume I can push the amp to break up but I find if that's what I want, switching the amp to 5W is the way to go. The 5W setting on the 5:25 is a little brighter without sounding thinner to my ears. Choosing an amp in a store can be a challenge. People around you don't want to hear how loud the amp can play and unless you can take it into a more private setting, hearing it played at an at home volume is difficult over the noise of drums, basses, and other guitars. I lucked out. I bought mine in a small non-chain shop in Maryland and was the only one playing in the smallish sales area at the time. A 25W tube amp with a lot of head room is probably more than you want in the bedroom. A PRRI doesn't have a mid control and I'd miss that. Finding the right amp isn't easy. I think I lucked out.

Tone Chase and bftfender like this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Great amp..that 5 watt setting has such rich harmonics in it..that is like 2 amps in 1 in that 5:25... should of never got rid of mine..that was the amp for my carry around needs for sure...its portable..so many sounds...and it really does overdrive nice at normal talking levels..

Tone Chase likes this.
  13. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

This is true for the sort of lower gain blues playing Bloomfield specialized in, but even Stevie Ray Vaughan used a Tube Screamer. For anyone playing higher gain rock or metal, the "distortion" your hands produce isn't going to cut it.

I've been a gigging guitarist for 30+ years. Many many times on a blues gig, I've plugged straight into a 15-watt amp and got the perfect tone for that style of music. But if a rock band hires me to play Van Halen or Zeppelin covers, I'm bringing along the pedalboard to get the tones I need.

14. MilwMark

Speakers don't. Most speakers intended for live band use are producing at the very least 94db (more likely 97db-101db) with 1 watt of power. 94 db is lawn mower volume. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want the noise of a lawn mower in my bedroom. Home volume from amps designed for live use is a myth. That's why a modeler or small solid state amp with a small speaker that pushes far less db with a watt or less of power, is a better solution.

If people don't care what the sound and feel is for home practice, I get that, but that is not the answer for everyone.

tery likes this.
  15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My first real amp was SFTR with master volume .The 135 watt monster version. I could still get good sound out of it while everyone else was sleeping. But I could also wake everyone up for a mile radius too. Twins are fun like that

Daytona.57 likes this.
  16. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I play a thr yamaha in my bedroom, of course it's a very nice and APPROPRIATE solution

However, even with a super reverb on 1.5, the thing is you could milk sustain and attack out of it if one knows what he's doing. Please don't think I'm bragging the least

Actually if one wants dirt, many pedals work great at low volume

My point is clean low volume could be made interesting in the right hands

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I dont care if it's 5 watts or 3. "Bedroom level" doesn't exist unless you live alone. You need a headphone setup.

JustEd and MilwMark like this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

At home I play clean 99% of the time so breakup at low vol isn't a concern to me. Half the time I don't plug in at all. I can hear my solid body in a quiet room just fine.

19. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I’m thinking Axis29 hit the nail on the head in terms of most “bedroom amp” threads. Most, but not all, OK?

I’m in the minority that has always gigged, so I don’t care much about my tone at home. I use a spare bedroom to practice. The last few years my #1 has been a ‘54 Deluxe. It gets wound up a ways at a gig with the band. At home, I never turn it up past 2. The cleans are glorious and it improves my playing to play clean. Gig tone doesn’t matter to me at home.

Actually, always ran the same drill with my Twin Reverb too, as far as that goes and anything else I own and decide to drag out.

I do think that perhaps home use of amps varies some depending on what other musical adventures a guitarist may be involved in to some degree.

telemnemonics and Axis29 like this.
  20. MilwMark

Most Deluxe's I've plugged into are approaching wall-shakingly loud at 2. Many seem to stop getting louder by about 3 and just compress/distort more.

Point being, we seem to be working off multiple concepts of "home volume" here.

Might be more useful to say -

- loud conversational volume
    - normal TV volume
    - loud TV volume
    - I can't quickly identify who said it but "can I sing over it volume" is also a good one.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.