The Beatles: White Album

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Mar 19, 2020.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

The White Album has long been my favorite Beatles album. My younger brother knew I had wanted it when I was a teen and ended up gifting me a cd copy for my graduation party.

Even without that good memory, I think this is their best collection of stuff. They do a little of everything on that album. There’s a track or two I don’t love, but I haven’t found a double album yet that was truly great the whole way through. Still, I love it. Don’t want anything to be different really, there’s just something extra great about this one.

Twang Deluxe and brookdalebill like this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The White album is my favorite Beatles album.
    Like others have mentioned, there’s a few bits I skip, like Revolution #9, Sexy Sadie, and Helter Skelter.
    I love the rest.
    It’s their masterpiece, IMO.
    I do Mother Nature’s Son and I Will at my solo gig.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

SS is great... it's kinda like listening to a song in slow motion... like when you would touch an LP with your finger in parts to slow tunes a bit... Ringo's slow patient drumming...good bassline... a message in the tune...

Georges melancholic bendy solo is sublime... anti-shredding... ;)

DonM likes this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

John imo had really the strongest output of the WA .... edgy, rocking, cool songs, very invested, intense performances by him ... Dear Prudence, Sexy Sadie, Yer Blues, Glass Onion, Happiness Is a Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Julia ... all great, classic Lennon!

A few of these (Prudence, Julia) employ the picking pattern that he learned from Donovan; you can hear it elsewhere also, e.g. Sun King, Oh My Love

trev333 and Twang Deluxe like this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I don't like it. I kinda hate it after many people trying to convince me of stupid things as "heavy metal started here" and so on... It sounds wrong and the songs are really bad.

Well like any other beatles album.

... LEt the party begin :lol:

7. Jon S.

Jon S. TDPRI Member

This one comes pretty darn close for me!

[​IMG]

DonM, VWAmTele, Chiogtr4x and 2 others like this.
  8. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Yea! I remember certain holiday weekends it seemed it would be wall to wall Beatles!

Hard to imagine the impact of the White Album from this far off.

I'm looking forward to Let It be/Get Back 50th release coming up! The more I consider it I think Let It Be my favorite Beatles album. Every other one has at least one track I can't stand at all..

Something to remember about the Beatles that may get lost in time is the fact most of their pure original work, Rubber Soul to Let It Be, was a scant four year period. They were knocking out original albums every six months!

VWAmTele likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Those books know are how I learned how to teach myself how to play guitar back in the early 70s so they were miserable but I look at them fondly
    Along with Cat Stevens and Eagle song books

I actually play Yesterday in the key of F with the position of F, not knowing that McCartney played in G and tune the guitar down a whole step

DonM likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Different strokes, I guess, Bill......while I like a number of songs on The Beatles, (white album) it is my least favorite overall. My preferences lean more toward Please Please Me (the LP), Meet The Beatles, or A Hard Day's Night.....in other words, earlier stuff. But I still find plenty to like on ANY Beatles album.

DonM, Old Plank and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Old Plank

My favorite has always been Beatles '65, the US counterpart to Beatles For Sale. Great originals like She's A Woman an I Feel Fine, and RnR covers by Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins.

DonM and nojazzhere like this.
  12. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I lived in San Francisco when it came out. KFRC the top 40 station put out a weekly list of the top singles. The week the white album came out, they just listed each song on the album and that was “top 40” for the week. The album got constant air play AM and FM.
    That album was incredibly influential, probably set off the early 70s singer songwriter movement.

13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Me too. In fact, I've found that John's songs in particular have the most interesting chord progressions when you're just messing around on the couch playing songs. Sexy Sadie, I'm So Tired, Dig a Pony, Dear Prudence, I Am The Walrus, etc. They just sound great with a single guitar and voice. George's stuff is near impossible to play along to or sing to. Something is pretty straight ahead, but All Things, Wah Wah, Isn't It A Pity, Run of the Mill, eh, not so much.

trev333 likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

I just about wore out my copy of Beatles '65 when it came out.....plus didn't it have some great pictures of the Beatles "playing" with their instruments? I will ALWAYS consider their guitars (Gretsch, Hofner, and Rickenbacker) to be the epitome of "elegant" Rock&Roll.

Old Plank likes this.
  15. Old Plank

actually the pics are of playing with Slinkys, umbrellas, rakes and baskets etc.! You may be thinking of 'The Beatles' Second Album', also a US release. That cover has multiple pics with them playing all those great instruments.

DonM and nojazzhere like this.
  16. nojazzhere

That must be it......I'm gonna have to go back through my old LP's and check. My old Beatles LP's are a combination of English and U.S. releases, so sometimes the album covers confuse me. ;)

Old Plank likes this.
  17. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

covered, cover to cover, rather impressively.

18. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

The chord books frequently had mistakes mixed in with the accurate transcriptions. The chords, particularly, would be often be way off, as though the transcriber just listened to a note and threw in something based on that. I can read music and it was really frustrating to be excited to learn something, get music that was 90% right, and then encounter whacked-out nonsense, usually in the tricky parts. As others have mentioned, this experience sometimes thwarted our receptivity to learning to read, to build knowledge of theory, etc. because it punished you for trying.

19. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I was in a Beatles cover band for many years, so to me there are no obscure Beatles songs. We could play probably 80% of their catalog at any one point in time. The other 20% we'd have to go back and learn again. But we generally played the ones people knew, and a bunch more that would prompt the "Hey, I remember that tune!" comments. Being a Beatles cover band is almost cheating: as long as you do it right, it's almost impossible to play something that most of the audience wouldn't like.
    We all used the Complete Scores book, which was by far the best source book you could find for their stuff at that time. Probably still is. It's got all the parts written out: vocals, bass, guitars, keyboards, drums - it's all there, with very few mistakes. Just a couple of minor things here and there. I played the John parts on guitar, but sang the Paul parts. It was a real fun band.

RodeoTex, DonM and Fret Wilkes like this.
  20. Jon S.

Jon S. TDPRI Member

As you're a fellow fan of this song, let me share Commander Cody's version of it, if you've not already heard it. I dig the Commander's studio version but, from experience, it was even better hearing him perform it live!

trev333 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.